Right now I have a B-52 LS100 head into a Laney cab, no pedals between the amp and my guitar. How much difference in tone would an EQ pedal make? I think my amp lacks a bit of clarity and a bit of gain. Can an EQ pedal add gain?
some eqs have a gain slider. If not they have a volume slider when used in front of a tube amp increases gain. They can add mids or cut bass and such to make your tone a bit clearer.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
The MXR 10-band has both a gain and volume slider...but an EQ pedal can definitely change your sound. Sounds like what you're looking for. I'd go give one a try.
^ The MXR's gain slider is NOT for distortion, it controls the level of the input signal. If it begins to clip (i.e. gain too high) then your sound will begin to sputter and get very not nice.

I say try out a parametric EQ and a graphic EQ and see what you like, OP.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I guess my main problem is not enough gain, so the EQ can't help that. The treble in my amp is
as high as possible, and I still think it's a bit bassy. And the bass is at 9'o clock. Weird huh?
An EQ will help with that. If you want more gain, get an overdrive pedal to boost the amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Can't boost an SS amp.^
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Can't boost an SS amp.^

Now that is absurd. I'd do it all the time (when I had two ODs) with my MG to get this AWFUL, nasty, sputtery, garage blues sound.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Lol, well im my experience, boost an SS amp with an overdrive epdal sounds terrible. I didn't mean you can't, but its not really desireable.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ