Hello!
Just wondering what is all the hype about guitar center. I have one near me in Boston ( near but actually a bit far away ) I mean do they have killer prices or just a lot of stuff? I might take a trip up there someday but would need a bargain. I also see a lot of people saying guitar center is bad too. About any guitar center not just the boston one. Opinions? It would be helpful if anyone who has been to the boston gc could tell me a bit bout it!
-Thanx
Set-Up
Squire Special Stratocaster
Bullet 150 AMP

*1st Guitar Set-Ups FTW*
^You should give the user that just posted some useful advice.
Guitar Center is like the main music store..... that and Sam Ash.

People say it's bad because the people that work there can sometimes be stupid.....
I've got a big ass Gibson retail store not to far from me Yay for having a Gibson factory in Memphis!
Laguna 422-HE
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pocket POD
(Slowly getting back into the groove )
Well I haven't been to the Boston store, but they tend to be the first stop for most guitar needs, unless one has a superior local store nearby. However, Guitar Center is, in my experience, the best chain music store with the main attraction being huge selection at reasonable prices. Customer service could be better as well as catering to the individual, but that's how most chains are. All in all, a visit would likely be worth your time.
Guitar Center isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be. If you know what you're going in for, then you can find a great deal. In all likelihood, though, you'll hear an employee telling some poor newbie about how incredible the Marshall MG is.
I don't see the grief with GuitarCenter, they have always been extremely fair and extremely helpful to me. Some stores just have retarded salesmen i guess.
Quote by irishstang_87
Guitar Center isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be. If you know what you're going in for, then you can find a great deal. In all likelihood, though, you'll hear an employee telling some poor newbie about how incredible the Marshall MG is.

I've never heard this once ever at any of the 3 local Guitar Centers. All the guys at
mine are pretty cool, knowlegeable older players who have never steered me wrong.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Kevy Absolution
I've never heard this once ever at any of the 3 local Guitar Centers. All the guys at
mine are pretty cool, knowlegeable older players who have never steered me wrong.

Unfortunately, I've seen it first hand. The two I go to here in Denver are pretty good, but my local GC when I used to live in Kansas had some idiots.
Buying a used item from GC can be a pain, was going to buy this nice digitech stompbox for $100 then they told me they couldn't sell it to me until Jan 6th because they had to hold it for 21 days (?) He didn't really elaborate so I'm not sure what that was all about. Kinda sucked, but I just found something else since it was in a city I do not live in.
Laguna 422-HE
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pocket POD
(Slowly getting back into the groove )
The one guitar center I went it was actually making fun of kids for wanting to buy an MG.
Well if you are right handed Guitar Center does have a wide variety of instruments to try before you buy which IMHO is a huge plus.
Just remember when you go the people that offer help are SALES help. They aren't always the sharpest tool in the box and try to move what they have an overstock or special on. Try different guitar that you think you would like. But please keep the amp volume at a resonable level on the floor.
I've never had an issues with the ones around here. Some of the employees are helpful, some aren't but they usually have a good deal or two on used gear. As far as buying guitars goes I prefer one of the local stores around because they are usually more knowledgeable and helpful. In my experience little stores build more of a relationship with their customer base whereas to guitar center you're just another asshole to sell a product replacement plan to.
Make no mistake though I've gotten some great deals at guitar center. But I don't go there for guitars. Just pedals and amps and used gear.
Basically, what everyone else is saying. Salespeople can be dicks because they work off of commission and don't give a crap if you get the best gear, but they usually isn't the case.

Since you are in the Boston area, I'd suggest Daddy's Junky Music stores. The people that work there are generally cool, but they don't have as large of a selection as the corporate stores (GC, Sam Ash, etc.). They usually have sweet deals, though.

If you don't mind me asking, where outside of Boston do you live? I live about 20 minutes north.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Last edited by SupremeACL at Dec 27, 2009,
Quote by SupremeACL
Basically, what everyone else is saying. Salespeople can be dicks because they work off of commission and don't give a crap if you get the best gear, but they usually isn't the case.

Since you are in the Boston area, I'd suggest Daddy's Junky Music stores. The people that work there are generally cool, but they don't have as large of a selection as the corporate stores (GC, Sam Ash, etc.). They usually have sweet deals, though.

If you don't mind me asking, where outside of Boston do you live? I live about 20 minutes north.

In the MetroEast. I live about 20-30 minutes South of Boston. So Daddy Junky is kinda far away. Is that the one near David's Bridal?
Set-Up
Squire Special Stratocaster
Bullet 150 AMP

*1st Guitar Set-Ups FTW*
^You should give the user that just posted some useful advice.
I personally dont like it much, I have a GC and a local guitar store that Ive been to. I like the guys who work at the local, The guys at the the GC are very pushy and if you ask for something they give you something totally wrong, like I said "Im looking for some celluloid heavy picks," and the clerk handed me a bag of Heavy Abalone pics, he also gave me some really shitty "stellar strings dude!"
I can also get better deals at the local store because the manager LOVES haggling. I got a $450 used guitar for $410 and a case.
The local store tends to care about the reputation a lot more too. I bought a really old used amp and it broke the next day, the next day I took it back and all the employees wouldnt stop telling me about how sorry they are and the manager came out and again apologized and said, "tell ya what, pick out another amp, and I'll knock 20 off for your trouble" At GC they woulda just given me back my money or if it was past 30 days it would of been "you're shit outta luck."
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by ComicStix
Is that the one near David's Bridal?

seems like there's a David's Bridal near all of them. used to be one near the GC in Bethesda i went to, and when i went to GC with my ex in PA there was a David's Bridal

anyway, the employees are usually decently knowledgeable, but if they can get you to buy a guitar i wouldn't expect them to tell you too much more than the good points on it. they all get commission, and nobody wants to lose out on that. the good thing is you can usually talk down their prices quite a bit more compared to mom and pop stores.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
At Guitar Center they're usually pretty good about everything, but there are salesmen that don't know anything about guitars.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by ComicStix
In the MetroEast. I live about 20-30 minutes South of Boston. So Daddy Junky is kinda far away. Is that the one near David's Bridal?

There's one on Mass. Ave., but they're all over Massachusetts. Check their website (daddys.com).
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Their salesmen, they sell stuff. But honestly I have only been to the one near me a few times, but I saw no trickery or teasing going on. I guess maybe it depends on if the employer is a dumbass or not. If he is; dumbass employees. If he isn't; quality music store.
So I don't get it, why doesn't anyone like Squiers?

GEAR:
Red Affinity Series Squire Fat Strat [guitar]

Little Big Muff Pi [pedal]
They will beat anybodys price, and they have a lot of stuff. The closest music store to me is guitar center and marshalls music. Ive been to both and guitar center creams them.
My Gear:

PRS Se Custom 24
Vox Vt 30
Esp Ltd C-301 Bass
Acoustic B100 Bass Amp
Morley Power Wah Bass Pedal
The salesguys at GC in Boston have tried to rip me off before. Guitar Stop, on Mass. Ave in Cambridge, is good if you're looking at Fender or Ibanez guitars or need basic stuff like picks, cables, strings, etc.
I've never bought anything at GC but I've tried guitars and amps there on four occasions and the employees are always friendly and helpful. I've only ever been to the Monroeville, Pennsylvania store but I would buy from them. I just haven't yet because I get my strings from Musician's friend (Bigger selection) And I haven't found any guitars there that I really wanted to buy... Yet.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
The Guitar Center in Des Moines is good. There are a few associates that are clueless when it comes to music gear, but a lot of them are really helpful and know what they're talking about. The deals can be good, but trade-in is absolutely horrid.
The one we have in Toledo, OH kind of sucks...95% of the inventory is cheap junk, and the other 5% is high end stuff. There's virtually nothing between $300 and $1400.
BC Rich NJ Deluxe Warbeast
Fender Super Champ XD