Hey, i didn't really know what to search for this because i don't know what it's called.

I saw on craigslist a few months back this pedal type thing that does that same thing to your tube amp as cranking it, but without having to go to that extreme of a volume. In other words, it gives you the same gorgeous tube tone you get from really pushing the amp, but you can do it at a much quieter volume.

I think it works by giving the same amount of power to the tubes as they would get if you rolled the volume way up.

What is this thing called?

p.s. sorry if there have been threads about this, i didn't know what to search for and it's a pretty specific question.
Last edited by JakdOnCrack at Dec 27, 2009,
an attenuator or a power soak
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
an attenuator or a power soak

^this, beatme2it
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by JakdOnCrack
Hey, i didn't really know what to search for this because i don't know what it's called.

I saw on craigslist a few months back this pedal type thing that does that same thing to your tube amp as cranking it, but without having to go to that extreme of a volume. In other words, it gives you the same gorgeous tube tone you get from really pushing the amp, but you can do it at a much quieter volume.

I think it works by giving the same amount of power to the tubes as they would get if you rolled the volume way up.

What is this thing called?

p.s. sorry if there have been threads about this, i didn't know what to search for and it's a pretty specific question.

there is a thing its not a pedal but its called a suck knob it goes in between the cab and the head it is awesome when used with a 6505+ or anotherreally loud amp
power scaling or virtual voltage reduction.

not attenuators, they aren't doing what you're describing in the original post. EDIT: actually, they might be, your original description is fairly ambiguous. either way, look into attenuators, and power scaling, and see which you prefer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ishmonkey
there is a thing its not a pedal but its called a suck knob it goes in between the cab and the head it is awesome when used with a 6505+ or anotherreally loud amp

whats that - a 'suck knob'????

its a power attenuator, power soak, whatever you want to call it.
It will never be quite the same as cranking your 30watt tube amp, but all these suggestions will at least get you closer.

You could look into picking one of the smaller tube amps that are out right now (1 watt or less).
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."