Ok, my guitar has just developed (overnight) a loud hum when plugged in. No idea how this came about as I haven't altered anything.

Before I open anything up I wanted to check what it could be.. touching any of the metal components no longer removes the hum (it was a few minutes ago) and touching the bridge humbucker cover makes it worse! Sounds like it could be a loose component inside. Any ideas?

Control cavity is properly shielded etc. and I have tried different cables. Not sure if anything in the room could be causing it (wifi router, TV, etc).
check the power cable input on our amp, it maybe that cause i thought i had a grounding problem in my guitar, but i played with the power cable out and it was fine
odds are your cable
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Minecraft Name : Selibucaz2
Quote by sgc09
check the power cable input on our amp, it maybe that cause i thought i had a grounding problem in my guitar, but i played with the power cable out and it was fine

Heh, yes my amp power cable was loose... but the hum is still there, although now it disappears when I touch metal components on the guitar and increases when I touch the humbucker cover.

Something wrong inside?
grounding issue

check the wiring on the guitar and don`t plug your amp into a multiple power strip, go direct into the wall
Are you playing clean or distorted? Someone may have cranked your gain real high while you were having a lunch break.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Quote by Snap017
Are you playing clean or distorted? Someone may have cranked your gain real high while you were having a lunch break.

Haha.. nah, pretty clean.. with gain it just sounds slightly worse.

Switched the amp so that it goes straight into the wall.. still no improvement.
I guess the guitar's just badly shielded.. the weird thing is that this just wasn't happening a few days ago.
2 words, then.

Noise...suppressor. Magical little box that makes the noise go away.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

you need a screwdriver a soldering iron and some solder and a keen eye.

use screwdriver to undo screws on input jack/scratchplate/control cavity cover

use keen eye to look for any loose/broken wires

use soldering iron and solder to fix loose/broken wires

use screwdriver to replace input jack/scarachplate/control cavity cover

job done
Plug something else other than your guitar into the amp to see if the hum remains.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

It's definitely the guitar + TV interference causing bother. I've played around with gain etc. until it's not so bad anymore and I have a noise suppressor on my effects pedal.

Oh well, I couldn't see any wiring problems (I also couldn't find the wire to ground, assuming it's bridge grounded) but I have a feeling it's accessed from under the tailpiece or something that I can't be bothered removing right now.

(I tried the amp with another guitar that didn't cause the same hum.)