if you have a strat body with a standard humbucker slot and you want to insert an angeled humbucker would you have to make some body modifications?
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
1 - Yes.
2 - Angled HBs are lame. The lowest and highest strings are only sensed by one coil.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by greendayispunk
if you have a strat body with a standard humbucker slot and you want to insert an angeled humbucker would you have to make some body modifications?

is that a serious question?
i guess it was considering you have your picks listed in your sig
Gear so far:
Dean Vendetta XMT
Roland Microcube

Infiltrate the system and rot it from the inside-out.
Last edited by Shaggy_420 at Dec 27, 2009,
Quote by Shaggy_420
is that a serious question?
i guess it was considering you have your picks listed in your sig

no need to be a douchebag...

the answer is yes, body mods will need to mbe made like SYK said. as SYK also said, angled humbuckers really arent practical unless you plan to wire 2 single coild, one reverse wound together like in wiliscool's squier mod (i think)
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by blindsagacity
no need to be a douchebag...

the answer is yes, body mods will need to mbe made like SYK said. as SYK also said, angled humbuckers really arent practical unless you plan to wire 2 single coild, one reverse wound together like in wiliscool's squier mod (i think)

thanks alot dude
Gear:
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
1 - Yes.
2 - Angled HBs are lame. The lowest and highest strings are only sensed by one coil.

Sir, I see your statement and raise you Rio Grande Twangbuckers.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Neither I nor SYK are denying that humbuckers in that style exist, but that is not what TS is referring to.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
I know, I was being facetious.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
The lowest and highest strings are only sensed by one coil.

which has absolutely NO effect on the sound of the pick up, you don't suddenly get a single coil tone with the 2 E strings

you say the strat already has a humbucker so i'm guessing that the routing under the pickguard will have plenty of room to angle one
Quote by forsaknazrael
No one said you'd sound like a single coil. I would say that output from that string probably drops, though.

well it was implied

there is no drop in output either string
umm thanks every body i think i should just stick to a normal straight humbucker
Gear:
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by sytharnia1560
well it was implied

there is no drop in output either string
Turn off the crushing overdrive on your Marshall MG, Junior. When you play clean, the volume drop on the 1st and 6th is plain as day and annoying. Crank up the OD and it seems to even out, except the 1st and 6th don't seem to grind as hard or sustain quite as long. I can't imagine how you could not hear this.

Quote by greendayispunk
umm thanks every body i think i should just stick to a normal straight humbucker
It probably makes more sense. The amount of angle you can do in a HB route on a most Strats is limited even if you have the HB rubbing against the corners of the route and don't use a pickguard. If you use a pickguard, your measurements would have to be perfect on the mounting holes, or you could be jammed against the wood on one corner of the HB or the other. Then try to adjust the height ... good luck with that.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Turn off the crushing overdrive on your Marshall MG, Junior. When you play clean, the volume drop on the 1st and 6th is plain as day and annoying. Crank up the OD and it seems to even out, except the 1st and 6th don't seem to grind as hard or sustain quite as long. I can't imagine how you could not hear this.

It probably makes more sense. The amount of angle you can do in a HB route on a most Strats is limited even if you have the HB rubbing against the corners of the route and don't use a pickguard. If you use a pickguard, your measurements would have to be perfect on the mounting holes, or you could be jammed against the wood on one corner of the HB or the other. Then try to adjust the height ... good luck with that.

thanks for all your help dude
Gear:
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

I can't hear it because it doesn't happen with any guitar I have owned with an angled pick up....simple......and i'm playing one through a jazz chorus as we speak and surprise there is no volume drop...none, zero, nothing

Quote by forsaknazrael
You know from experience?

People invented blade pickups to compensate for output loss when you bend and move paste a pole piece. I'd say an angled pickup has similar problems, unless angled properly like Rio Grande.

and yet companies still make them with pole pieces why because there is no difference
Quote by sytharnia1560

and yet companies still make them with pole pieces why because there is no difference

Guitars still have six-screw vintage trems, while 2-point vintage trems are better.
Why?
Because people like them.
Quote by TheOpenMind
Guitars still have six-screw vintage trems, while 2-point vintage trems are better.
Why?
Because people like them.

better in what way?? more stable tuning?....true, but you can also get very stable tuning with the vintage six screw trems if set up right
I don't see how you can fight either argument.

Pole piece height makes a difference in output. How would only one pole piece under the string not affect it?

Yes, you can set up a 6 screw trem to have decent tuning stability. But will it be as stable as a two point? Will it have less friction than a two point? Will it have a fluttering action as smooth as a two point. No. That's a fact.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Pole piece height makes a difference in output. How would only one pole piece under the string not affect it?

height makes a difference because you are moving them further away or closer to the strings, so yes there is a big difference......but angling the pick up is only changing the angle that the string passes through each pole pieces magnetic field and while the string might not be directly over the pole piece the string will still be going through a large part of it's magnetic field so unless it's well outside the edge of the pole piece (and we're talking 2-3mm) there is no effect on output....and if it is that far off the pole piece you have put to larger angle on the pick up...

and yes your points on the trem are all very true but for me as long as the trem stay's in tune then that's what really matters
Last edited by sytharnia1560 at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by sytharnia1560
height makes a difference because you are moving them further away or closer to the strings, so yes there is a big difference......but angling the pick up is only changing the angle that the string passes through each pole pieces magnetic field and while the string might not be directly over the pole piece the string will still be going through a large part of it's magnetic field so unless it's well outside the edge of the pole piece (and we're talking 2-3mm) there is no effect on output....and if it is that far off the pole piece you have put to larger angle on the pick up...

You don't hear it. Congrats. But that doesn't mean we don't (or wouldn't.)

And BTW, a "large part of the magnetic field" is not the same as over the center of the magnetic field.
Again bringing us to the blade-style pickup point....They were invented precisely because the output from the "large part of the magnetic field" is not the same as over the center of the magnetic field.

Quote by sytharnia1560
and yes your points on the trem are all very true but for me as long as the trem stay's in tune then that's what really matters

Then why bother arguing about it? The fact is, two points work better. People just still like 6 points. So...the original post about it still remains true.