anyone here with feedback on P90s?? i mean they do provide that classic mid range punch on clean but how good is it for distortion?? i am normally into classic/modern rock; not much heavy stuff.. i use a vox ad50vt..

plus, i got a local guitar (with local humbuckers) for which i m planning to change the pickups.. can't go 4 branded stuff like fender/esp/ibanez right now coz don hv the money.. but i can always afford a set of dimarzios or seymour duncuns.. is it a good idea to put quality pickups in a local guitar??
Last edited by bluewaters999 at Dec 27, 2009,
P-90's hum alot when your running distortion through them, but its not bad, but there's really no way around it unless you use a noise gate. Humbuckers are going to handle more gain better, but will not sound the same as P-90's. Its up to you. Yes it is worth putting good pickups in a cheap guitar.
why dont u try a duncan prail? its a humbucker thats made from a p90 and a rail, and can be split to either one.

as long as u enjoy how a guitar feels, then its certainly worth upgrading.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
OK, first off Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio are often better than guitar company's pickups.
Second, they respond well to distortion, but they're shaped differently than a humbucker - you'll have to rout your guitar out.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
not if you get a p94 or a prail.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
not if you get a p94 or a prail.

or a Phat Cat, or a GFS Dream or Mean 90, etc...

That being said, I think he was talking about the regular p90's.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
or a Phat Cat, or a GFS Dream or Mean 90, etc...

That being said, I think he was talking about the regular p90's.

well i checked out the youtube reviews of all 3.. personally, i liked the Phat Cat more coz it seems to suit my taste better..