Alright, my buddy's decided he wants to get an electric guitar for his birthday in February, and he wants me to help him pick one out.

The thing is, he's mainly interested in Hardcore Metal...like Avenged Sevenfold and stuff like that. But I personally don't have an affinity for Metal of any genre, aside from the occasional Tool album. So I'm not familiar with what type of guitar or amp he would need to get for a good Synyster tone.

His budget's probably around $600 or so, and I'd like for him to spend more money on an amp than a guitar. But I know even less about what amps are good for Metal. He said he'd like an Ibanez guitar, but I've heard their low-end stuff (sub-$400) is kinda meh. Can some of you intelligent people who are familiar with Hardcore and Metalcore tones help a dude out?
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
I wouldnt call Avenged Sevenfold hardcore metal =p

But anyway, for an amp.. go with a Peavey Vypyr 30, and an Ibanez RG2EX1, its a good guitar and he can always swap out the pickups later.

Synyster Gates plays a custom Schecter with the Seymour Duncan Invader pickups. The invader works for his style, though I wouldnt call it a great pickup for *real* hardcore, but thats just my opinion.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
How loud is the 30 watt Peavey Vypyr? Loud enough to get over a drummer? 30 watts in an SS amp might not cut it. But if you've experienced otherwise please correct me.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by Vasser
How loud is the 30 watt Peavey Vypyr? Loud enough to get over a drummer? 30 watts in an SS amp might not cut it. But if you've experienced otherwise please correct me.

You can go for the 75w if you want, its plenty loud. I have the 75w and Ive never taken it over 2 for bedroom playing.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Ok thanks, this looks like a good set-up for the price. Anyone else have some opinions?
Quote by stevenpollock
Schecter puts out great guitars in the $300 price range. I've got an Omen-6 with an Invader in the bridge that wails beautifully, and a 007 Elite with no modifications that's a f***ing monster just the way it is. Both were $300, and both are worth much more in my eyes.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

get the 75watt vyper and a schecter omen serries
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Ok I've got a good idea of what guitars to look at but could someone please recommend me an amp to look at other than the Vypyr? I want to keep my options broad.
Quote by stevenpollock
Quote by Vasser
Ok I've got a good idea of what guitars to look at but could someone please recommend me an amp to look at other than the Vypyr? I want to keep my options broad.

In that price range, the Vypyr is probably the best youre going to find.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
The Ibanez stuff is great in the mid level, the fixed bridges are more reliable long term than the trems if he doesn't mind that, and I would recommend fixed for a beginner anyway. Something like an RG321/421 (mahogany) or RG2/RG3 (basswood) are really good guitars, all they really need are pickups down the road.

The Vypyr series is also great for a beginner, this is actually the same setup I started out with .
Does he know what he wants in the guitar? Like with regards to frets, bridges, woods, pickups etc.?
prehaps a vox vt? apparantly not the best for metal, I have an old ad15vt, and tbh it can get heavey enough for what I want (deffo for Avenged Sevenfold)
guitar . . erm I dunno, alot of things work for metal just fine, i'd say get out, try the amps out, choose which amp he prefers then try a load of guitars through that amp, see which ones feel the best and also sound alright (feel and playability is alot more important than sound imo, but sound is very important aha)
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
If he wants something more eccentric, you could look into B.C. Rich guitars. I'd say they're the same quality as Ibanez or Schecter but for me they have the more badass looks. =)
Though I don't know much about amps, I can just say that I've been happy with my Line6 Spiders. They do heavy very well and I like the versatility they offer (from warm clean sounds to screaming lead sounds). =)
Personally, i would stay away from Ibanez in that price range, especially if he wants an A7X tone. For that, he should stick with Schecter, especially if he can get one with invaders. The guitar isn't going to matter nearly as much as the amo, though. The 75w Vypyr would prolly do the job better than any amp in that price range, but if you have to try a different amp, Line 6 could be an option (not a big fan myself) or Vox Valvetronix are pretty good, but probably not as heavy as the Peavey or the Line 6.
Quote by 3-R4Z0R
If he wants something more eccentric, you could look into B.C. Rich guitars. I'd say they're the same quality as Ibanez or Schecter but for me they have the more badass looks. =)
Though I don't know much about amps, I can just say that I've been happy with my Line6 Spiders. They do heavy very well and I like the versatility they offer (from warm clean sounds to screaming lead sounds). =)

BC Rich's low end guitars are pants, they sacrifice playability and tone for those stupid spikey bodies and please dont recommend line 6 spiders, roland, vox and peavey offer much better amps in the same price range.

I have to agree with other previous posts however, a schecter / Ibanez and either a roland cube or a peavey viper.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Don't waste money on getting a 75W viper. A 30 should work fine, and also have him troll through craigslist and maybe he'll get lucky. Frankly, for the first year or so, any playable guitar with humbuckers should work fine. Have him look for a used shechter or maybe a LTD.
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
Quote by Talentless
BC Rich's low end guitars are pants, they sacrifice playability and tone for those stupid spikey bodies and please dont recommend line 6 spiders, roland, vox and peavey offer much better amps in the same price range.

I have to agree with other previous posts however, a schecter / Ibanez and either a roland cube or a peavey viper.

I find my Virgo perfectly playable, I have no problems with the spikes. I'd say there's as much room for the hand to get to the 24th fret as there would be with any other bolt on strat copy.
As I said: I've been very happy with Line6 but I have almost no experience with other amps.

Greetings
3-R4Z0R
Quote by 3-R4Z0R
I find my Virgo perfectly playable, I have no problems with the spikes. I'd say there's as much room for the hand to get to the 24th fret as there would be with any other bolt on strat copy.
As I said: I've been very happy with Line6 but I have almost no experience with other amps.

Greetings
3-R4Z0R

Its the low build quality and poor materials in them that makes them generally poor guitars, you have to pay extra for the strange shaped bodies, where you could buy an equally priced guitar with a normal super strat body for example and get an instrument of far higher quality.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless
Its the low build quality and poor materials in them that makes them generally poor guitars, you have to pay extra for the strange shaped bodies, where you could buy an equally priced guitar with a normal super strat body for example and get an instrument of far higher quality.

My build is made out of good quality mahogany, but maybe it's already in a slightly higher price range than what it's about in this topic. I haven't tried out the cheaper Warlocks yet.
I've tried a few Schecters though and they had a good quality, so I guess that's the best bet as has been pointed out here already.

Greetings
3-R4Z0R
This isn't a war between BC Rich and Schecter, this guy just wants to know some good metal guitars. Maybe BC Rich would be exactly what he was looking for. Guitar is very personal. I know you were talking about instrument quality, but let him pick out some guitars from each brand that he was considering, and THEN we can get into guitar quality.

So, I was thinking, you should probably pick some guitars and amps out of what we have suggested and post links to the tech specs so we can give you some guidance about the quality and ups and downs of each one.
I think this is enough info to get a set-up that will suit him. Oh and I can't really to get him to try out guitars since he doesn't know how to play guitar yet! So I'm just gonna throw darts at a board for the time being...
Quote by stevenpollock
He should split the budget with more leaning towards the amp. I'd say about $200 for the guitar and $400 for the amp.

This is the only advice I can offer as I am not too secular in the terms of guitars, but I'm sure many others will agree.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
For an amp I would look for a used Bugera 333XL they sound great for cheap tube amps, Guitar depends on the player, It has to feel good to him to be able to sound good first and foremost.