I keep seeing threads popping up for random bands, who im my opinion aren't always that brilliant. (but i realise its all subjective) So I thought id make a thread for a band, I thought were actually very good.

Wodensthrone.

Sort of Epic (but not in an over the top way) Atmospheric Black Metal is the best way I can think of describing them.
They are from the UK.
Ive really gotten into them lately I think they really are an amazing band.
Loss is probably my favourite album this year.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=83954
http://www.myspace.com/wodensthrone
Awesome band, been into them for quiet a while with them being from round here. Loss is the best they've done yet and thats saying something after their previous releases.
What a pretentious biography, even by black metal standards.

Music sounds pretty good though.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
It was annoying that I couldnt find a physical copy of loss anywhere, considering how close (in the grand scale of things) I live to them.

fortunately they were selling them when i saw them in manchester.

and I bought the split with folkvang of ebay last week.
Quality label.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
What a pretentious biography, even by black metal standards.

Music sounds pretty good though.

I really liked that biography. Calling themselves a clan is a great touch.

Not listened yet, I'm playing through Storm Of The Light's Bane currently, which is too good to pause, but this band looks to be good.

FREDIT:

And Frederick listened unto the melodies of Wodensthrone, and it was good.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Last edited by freddaahh at Sep 10, 2010,
Good band mang, Loss is a very subtle album in the way it handles itself, a fine band.
and I don't care if I live or die,
because I ain't ever going to no other side,
there ain't no heaven and there ain't no hell,
but I am a sinner so it's all just as well
Damn that looks amazing. Where did you order from? Might get myself a copy as an early Christmas present.
That biography was painful to read. Seriously, when they grow up a bit they're going to cringe at the memory of writing that. "Clan", really?

Music is actually ok though, for black metal.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by asator
That biography was painful to read. Seriously, when they grow up a bit they're going to cringe at the memory of writing that. "Clan", really?

Music is actually ok though, for black metal.

Bands are close, like a family, clan being an alternative word occasionally used in Northern English/Scottish among other places. Whats wrong with that?
I posted that in the BM thread about two weeks ago, but it seemed to get lost as the last post on the page.
I've had a lot of time to think about this track, and I'm not sure I like it as much as I'd hoped I would.
I much prefered the more atmospheric production, and the almost ambient feel to the music on loss, and I really liked the vocals too, as well as the synths. But this new album has different vocals and synth player, and from what that track shows, it's certainly different. I imagine it'll go down well in general, but for me it's too in your face, and dare I say it, generic. It's like they took all the elements that I felt the excelled at, and got rid. I know it makes it sound like I hate it, which I don't. I just don't love it the way I did Loss.

However I'm assured by a friend who's heard the whole album that that's probably the worst track on it, so I'm hopeful yet.
New vocalist is vastly superior to the old one. Not even close.

And I actually like the production better I think. It has way more punch to it, and way more clarity, and sounds way more "black metal".

That said, I dont love it or anything. I suppose I might give the album a shot though. We'll see.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
I really like Brunwolfs vocals, I felt they where far more emotive, like screams of anguish. To me his are superior, but each to their own.

I'm pretty sure both guitarists have taken up vocal duty now. Wildeþrýð I think, who used to be in Winterfylleth did some guest vocals for a one song when I saw Winterfylleth live a few years back. And he seems adiquate as a vocalist, just lacking the feel, and distinctiveness I feel.

And again, it's that punch I dislike. I preferred the more distant ambient sound on Loss.

But this isn't the first disagreement I've had over it, I know plenty who love it, and a few like me who don't. I think it's safe to say it'll divide opinion.
That said, the mate who's heard it said there's a few tracks far more reminiscent of Loss, so perhaps it's not all bad news.
Anyone heard the new album yet?

I have it on now. I wasn't sure about it as Jormungandr didn't really grab me, but First Light and The Great Darkness both seem really good. I stilll think I prefer Brunwulfs vocals. And I think I preferred the mix on Loss too, this one is nice but a bit too in your face.
Interestingly it was one of the guys from Esoteric who produced it.
I honestly didn't know it was out yet, i've been a bit behind on releases lately. The track i heard from it a couple of months ago was pretty good though!
Having heard the whole thing I think The Storm was the worst possible track they could have picked as a single. Though I have a feeling it being the only track under 7 minutes might have been a factor in that decision.

The album on the whole actually ended up being much better than expected I though.
So, you all here [well, Anni anyway] know my thoughts on Wodensthrone.

I listened to Curse though and holy shit it was good. Actually, really good. The vocals are spot on, the production is good, songwriting is good, etc etc. All in all, I was pleasantly impressed.
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
I never checked out Loss for some reason. Curse, however, is fantastic, so Loss is going to be on my list of things to check out.
Curse is a huge step up....this really is a brilliant album. In The Nightside Eclipse worship!!
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
^ I get rather a lot of mid/old Enslaved out of it as well.

But yeah, it's rapidly risen to one of my favorite records of the year.
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
Interesting you mention Ensalved, they are contributing to an upcoming Ensalved tribute album, so I imagine your quite right in hearing their influence in Wodensthrones music.

I was listening to Curse again last night. I'm still not sure I prefer it to Loss. Whilst I feel certain elements are undoubtedly better on Curse, I still prefer the Vocals, Synth playing and generallly more ambient atmosphere on Loss.
Loss is very good as well.

But the vocals are undoubtedly superior on Curse, and much more varied. Stronger. Etc.

And the synth work on Curse is actually pretty awesome, I mean, Battle Lines? Great synth in there. It does what it needs to, adds to it where it should, and otherwise hangs back. Everything is just more mature on Curse.
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
I'm not saying the synth work is bad on Curse, but it doesn't have same anthemic feel to me.
And I guess vocals are down to individual taste, and perhaps I'm biased given how much I've listened to Loss. The 2 guitarists again aren't bad, but I feel have less character than Brunwulf had.