Hi!

I want to buy some plectrums.. And I am a beginner, so I have no idea, which plectrum I should buy..

Somebody told me something about a flexibel plectrum..

Also, for how much money can you buy those things?

Yours faithfully,
Krullebola
Go to a guitar store and buy a whole bunch of different ones to find out what you like. I personally like SUPER thick ones. I make some out of bone. My friend likes super thin ones that he sometimes makes out of thin sheets of plastic.

They're usually pretty cheap. 5 for a dollar.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
get a bunch of different ones of different thickness and flexibility and find out what you like best.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
They literally cost just about pocket change. I use a "medium" (thickiness unknown; it's some special kind of pick, a a "cactus pick") for acoustic stuff, and a 1 mm for electric stuff. just run to the store, buy a bunch of different ones, see what you like the best. A friend of mine can only use really thin/flexible ones, and I really cant stand picks with any give in them.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
I've got a watch pocket full of different picks. I like thick ones(jazz III's) for picking single notes and thin ones for strumming chords. Mediums for a combination of both. So I agree buy an bunch of different one so you can decide what you like best.
when i first started i loved picks that i could bend between my fingers. now, the thicker the better. buy a package of 2 or 3 different thicknesses and decide what you like best. can't have too many picks!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Dec 27, 2009,
I use Dunlop tortex .60 mm. enough for me to be able to strum, and pick when I can't find my 1.12 mm.

I also have Dunlop nylon .45mm, they are awesome for strumming because you can barely hear the slap against the strings, plus you can strum as hard as you want without running the risk of the pick flying away or whatever might happen if you were to do the same thing with a thick pick.
i use dunlop tortex .60 for acoustic, and .88 for electric (and busking with my acoustic). As far as I'm concerned theres no pick better than dunlop tortex. They're indestructible, and color coded.
I want you to put on your pretty summer dress
You can wear your Easter bonnet and all the rest
And I wanna make love to you yes, yes, yes when the healing has begun
-Van the Fuckin' Man
Thank you, guys! I will buy some different ones.
Can I get it in boxses? Or do I have to pick them out?
Thanks guysss
I love the Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm and a Dunlop 2 mm. When I get tired of heavy picks I use the Guitar Center free picks. Those things are amazing.
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
You can also make them yourself out of old credit cards.
It's fun to experiment different shapes and addons. For example I find it very handy to glue little piece of sand paper onto the plectrum.

For strumming, that's pretty nice. I also know a lot of beginners who use(d) those when they started out, then moved on to the thicker ones (.76,1.0). Personally I use
STRIKING MINORS
I use Clayton .8mm, Cool .8mm, Dunlop Gater Grip .58mm, and Regular Dunlop .73mm.
I like a thin-medium pick. I think it gives you a much warmer sound and are eaiser to play. But just go and buy whatever pick you think you may like, be sure to pick out many gauges and experiment with them till you get a sound and feel you like.
Jazz III, hands down. They are the best picks ever. I used Tortex 88's for everything, then I discovered Jazz III, and used them for single picking, now I don't even use the tortexes for strumming anymore ...
MY RIG
ESP LTD MH-400
Roland Cube 15X
For classical guitar (I am unorthodox), I use 70 something dunlops, and for bass I use Fender Heavy Picks
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
I use Planet Waves Super Thin delrin. .018 baby. Its like playing with paper.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
dunlop gator grip 2mm. prefect for single notes, strumming, hybrid picking and everything else.

thin plectrums just lack the overall rounded tone that a thick plectrum gives you (atleast on my guitar). they are too quite and lack the low mids that i need for my style of playing. but thin plectrums are very good for beginners, because they can be easier to play with.

my advice to you is to go and try loads of plectrums, as you develop you playing style, you will know what feels right and what doesnt. the best thing in this situation is practie and experience.
I swear by 1.5mm Tortex Sharp picks. I love the sound of Ultex, though, so I'll be trying a 2.0mm Ultex Sharp pretty soon. Or you could go for the best of the best - a Bluechip. They don't come cheap, though, so don't say I didn't warn you!

Also, as far as thickness and flexibility goes, get the thickest, stiffest pick you can find and get used to it. Whoever says flexible picks are good for beginners is out of his mind. Stiff picks are harder to get used to, but much easier to play with. Flexible picks are easy to get used to, but much harder to control.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Quote by i_don't_know
I swear by 1.5mm Tortex Sharp picks. I love the sound of Ultex, though, so I'll be trying a 2.0mm Ultex Sharp pretty soon. Or you could go for the best of the best - a Bluechip. They don't come cheap, though, so don't say I didn't warn you!

Also, as far as thickness and flexibility goes, get the thickest, stiffest pick you can find and get used to it. Whoever says flexible picks are good for beginners is out of his mind. Stiff picks are harder to get used to, but much easier to play with. Flexible picks are easy to get used to, but much harder to control.

It's all preference. All preference. They don't make hundreds of different types of picks for people to only use the thick ones. Every pick has its use and every player has their preference. I use 2mm picks, 3mm picks, .25mm picks, .79 picks, etc. I have a tin with 50+ picks.

It's pretty narrow minded to try to say one type of pick is the best. Experiment. Try out a bunch of different types.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by GC Shred Off
Fender mediums are all any guitarist needs. They cost dirt and feel great.

^Agreed

The best advice has already been given. Buy a ton and find a pick that suites you.

I'd recommend Fender, Tortex, or Dunlop Nylon. All three of any thickness, though I prefer medium (.60-.88)-ish.
Quote by PSM
It sounds good, it plays great, it's cheap as hell, why not? I don't care if it's made out of cardboard as long as it does what I need it to.
i play with 0.60 mm Dunlop picks, also use ESP 0.78 picks. they're great and quite cheap too. great quality on them too.