looking for analog pedals... also not the TS9 since the Tube screamers sound good only with tube amps..

Also how long do the tubes in a tube based pedal last?(12AU7/12AX7 tubes in pedals such as Vox Cooltron Brit boost, blackstar dual ht, tube zipper, etc)

My current amp's a Stranger 80W..its well, loud is all i can say...there no warmth to the tone at all..ok for metal, not for blues..I neeed to get rid of it..

I'm considering an upgrade, since i need atleast 100W of sound and I can spend only around 300$ i was considering the Fender Frontman 212R 100W 2x12 Combo Amp..

So can we get good tube kinda distortion out of the Fender front man, or any other amp..I
Last edited by jack_the_ninth at Dec 28, 2009,
Let's not turn this into a bash on SS amps. Some people like them.

Maybe an Ibanez Tube King?
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
What amp? If it's a low end amp, you're probably better off buying a different one.

EDIT: Different wording
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Dec 27, 2009,
Is it a cheap modelling amp. (anything you paid ~£10 or less for) or is it a good quality non-modelling solid state?
My current amp's a Stranger 80W..its well, loud is all i can say...there no warmth to the tone at all..ok for metal, not for blues..I neeed to get rid of it..

I'm considering an upgrade, since i need atleast 100W of sound and I can spend only around 300$ i was considering the Fender Frontman 212R 100W 2x12 Combo Amp..

So can we get good tube kinda distortion out of the Fender front man, or any other amp..I
Quote by jack_the_ninth
I'm considering an upgrade, since i need atleast 100w of sound...

No you don't. You really don't. Especially not a Fender Frontman. Unless you're gigging in a large stadium you really don't need 100w.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Fulltone OCD should give you a good overdrive sound if your amp likes pedals
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by JayT44

No you don't. You really don't. Especially not a Fender Frontman. Unless you're gigging in a large stadium you really don't need 100w.

unless you require a lot of headroom. however, i indeed agree that TS most likely does NOT need 100w. TS you have no idea how loud 30w is, never mind 100. especially with tube amps. a 30w tube amp is roughly equal in volume to a 100w SS amp.
Sell the Stranger, and get a cheapish tube amp. Trust me.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
What jay said is correct
Anyway, if you want tube sound then save up a little more and buy a 30 tube amp.
It will be easily loud enough and sound better then any pedal
RIP Gooze

cats
Tubescreamers sound good regardless of what amp they're used with. They weren't made to push tubes, they were made to emulate tube overdrive.

I've used my DigiTech Bad Monkey with SS amps before, with good results, and the Bad Monkey isn't even that good as an overdrive (where it shines is as a boost).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Forget the Frontman. If you want tube overdrive, go tube.

The tubes in the Vox Cooltron pedals are gimmicks, absolutely useless. Those in the Blackstar and EHX English Muff'n run at higher voltages and actually have an effect, maybe you should look into these.
If you do work out how to make a SS amp sound like a valve amp make sure you tell Marshall about it because they sure haven't worked it out yet. They've even tried putting a valve in the preamp and all they managed to do was unleash an atrocity onto the world.

Just sayin
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Raijouta
Tubescreamers sound good regardless of what amp they're used with. They weren't made to push tubes, they were made to emulate tube overdrive.

I've used my DigiTech Bad Monkey with SS amps before, with good results, and the Bad Monkey isn't even that good as an overdrive (where it shines is as a boost).

oh look, someone who knows what theyre talking about...i havent seen one of them in years.

TS go to shop, ask to try out as many pedals as you can, on the crappiest SS amp they have, and base your decision on that

EDIT: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Bugera-V22-22W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-887213-i1470775.gc

just buy that
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Last edited by stevo_epi_SG_wo at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by jack_the_ninth
looking for analog pedals... also not the TS9 since the Tube screamers sound good only with tube amps..

Also how long do the tubes in a tube based pedal last?(12AU7/12AX7 tubes in pedals such as Vox Cooltron Brit boost, blackstar dual ht, tube zipper, etc)

You dont !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by jpnyc
You could get one of the Blackstar pedals.

This. Blackstar's tube pedals actually give the tubes the power they need.

EDIT: 100W is going to be just BARELY louder than 80W. Probably 1.5 Decibels at the most. I explained it here.
Last edited by In The Mist at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by jack_the_ninth

Haha, sure you do...have you got Kevlar eardrums or something?

What kind of tone are you looking for? There are some musch nicer amps out there than that frontman crap.
Quote by kyle62
Haha, sure you do...have you got Kevlar eardrums or something?

What kind of tone are you looking for? There are some musch nicer amps out there than that frontman crap.

No he probably plays metal and wants plenty of clean headroom. 50 watts would probably cut it, but with 100 you know you'll never be in need of more.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Kyle62,Well this is for when I don't have a Monitor in front of me, whenever I've used a KustomSound 50W I had to play it at full volume(on the clean channel) to be able to hear it properly..tubetime86 is right I need plenty of clean headroom

I play a lot of Hard rock, but am also experimenting with the mellower side of things,so the tone i'd wan't-- warmth of the tubes(ya I know I'll need a tube amp, but....) apart from that maybe something like the one from John mayer trio's 'Good love is on the way'..

Since the amp is the key to obtaining a good tone..maybe the smartest thing for me to do is to save up some more $ and buy a good tube amp..
Look into Symour Duncan's tube pedals. the Twin Tube Classic or Mayem might be up your alley.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by ze monsta
I believe with a lot of "tube" pedals, the tubes aren't running at a high enough voltage to do anything and therefore they're a bit of a gimmick.

Get of the misinformed bandwagon. There are some tube pedals that have "starving tubes" running at low plate voltages and those are a gimmick, yes. But most tube pedals have a transformer in them that bumps the voltage up to 300v (usually), thus giving you tube saturation.

Quote by Raijouta

This. It is a common misconception that tubescreamer type pedals were designed to be boosts - they're not. They are designed to emulate the tone of a naturally overdriven tube amp; however they are commonly used as boosts (but virtually any pedal that has a "level" and a "gain" knob can be used as a boost to some extent).

Whether it sounds good or not all depends on your amp - some overdrive pedals don't sound good through certain tube amps, its not just the "OD's don't work with SS amps" myth.

TS: Unless you're in a situation where you're going to need to crank your amp but maintain good clean headroom you definitely won't need an amp with 100 watts. A 30 watter would probably suit you best.

What type of tone are you looking for exactly?

Are you willing to buy used?

What other gear are you using?
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Dec 28, 2009,
Don't buy the frontman, it isn't much of an upgrade from what you already have. For tube warmth, you need a tube power section, simple as that.

I have my Ampeg SS-140C and love it for what I do, it can also pull out a great classic rock crunch and a uber-clean jazz tone. SS=/=crap, its just that SS amps have been overlooked since the 90s. The only decent one being made now, out of my current knowledge, is the Randall. Now if only I had a Mesa 50:50 XD

I think you should go with tubez for what your looking for, though.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
After having bought into all the hype...and GASing for a tube amp...I finally got a Blackheart Little Giant, a VHT Cabinet with Greenback clone. Well for practicing in the home, at least...I find myself using my Fender SS Amp, a Stage 1000 more often than not.

My Fender has a pedal so I can change to different drive channels, it has reverb, and other effects (i use a tiny bit of delay too). Even with a danelecto reverb and a Boss Blues Driver or Overdrive pedal...the Blackheart isn't some revolutionary level of tone. It just...isn't.

With my humbucker guitar, a Michael Kelly, the Blackheart does get some nice tones, don't get me wrong. It's just not night and day like some of the corksniffers on this forum would have you believe. IMHO, of course.