I have a lot of songs written over chord progressions on the acoustic. I want to convert them into metal songs but I don't know where to start. How do you put a metal rhythm underneath a pre-prepared vocal line?

Does anyone follow this method of songwriting?
A lot of people do their composing on acoustics, but I don't know why you would want to make metalriffs out of acoustic riffs. I mean, you should have written your metalriffs on the acoustic :P... I only don't see how a vocal line over acoustic riffs would be the same as a vocal line over metalriffs, but ok.

You could start with giving us the chords...

Or just play powerchords in a nice palmmuted rhythm that follow the chord changes (if you know how to that is. If you don't then you gotta give us the chords).
Last edited by KoenDercksen at Dec 27, 2009,
i don't want to play just power chords. i want to play complex metal rhythm.

well say i got a vocal melody composed over the world's most common chord progression over acoustic rhythm - C Am Dm G

Now i want to get rid of the acoustic rhythm and put a cool metal rhythm underneath it. How can I do that?

Sometimes we like to sing our favorite rock songs over the acoustic using chords. Now think backwards. How can you make a rock song out of an acoustic song?
Quote by Rock Musician

well say i got a vocal melody composed over the world's most common chord progression over acoustic rhythm - C Am Dm G7

Now i want to get rid of the acoustic rhythm and put a cool metal rhythm underneath it. How can I do that?

Sometimes we like to sing our favorite rock songs over the acoustic using chords. Now think backwards. How can you make a rock song out of an acoustic song?

Fixed
well, looking at whats already been done:

Black Dahlia Murder - Paint it Black
the song sounds just evil in the original, stick on some distortion, double bass drumming and breakdowns and you've got it

Children of Bodoms - Ooops I did it again
they were drunk in the studio, added growling vocals and some palm muted power chords

Blind Guardian - Mr. Sandman
add awesome power metal rhythm power chords and double bass drumming

whatever band that does it - Gangster's Paradise
more or less followed the original song, the guitars play little riffs based around the notes in the chords instead of just power chords and add some blast beats

Metallica - Whiskey in the jar
really....just let metallica do it. theres not really anything that special here, just plenty of guitars and hard hitting drums.

so.... add distortion and find yourself a crazy drummer
Try and hear a good guitar part in your head, to go under the vocals you have. You already have a basic chord structure, so that guitar part will probably be based on arpeggios of those chords with some passing tones.
the best way to write a song is whit a beer and having sex
then u get drunk and u can write the best riffs ever
Try using power-chords and palm muting as suggested, using some more "Metal" rhythms, use the notes in the chord as fills, and add lots of passing tones between the chords. For example:

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--5---------5------------------------------2--------5-5---7--5--10-10------------------------------|
|--5-----5--5--5555--5----2h5p2------2-----2--2-2---7--7--7--7-----5-5-5-5-5-5-5----------|
|--3-----3--3--3333--3--3----------2---0----0--0-0----5--5--5--5-----5-5-5-5-5-5-5----------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------3-3-3-3-3-3-3-<3>~-|
You dont have to play powerchords to play metal. Infact its so overdone and generic it bores me to tears. The best example I can randomly think of is the band Opeth, they use alot of full chords with distortion instead of just playing powerchords. Listen to the beginning of ....*thinks of random opeth song*...The drapery falls. The minor add9 chords sound awesome.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
Quote by blueriver
You dont have to play powerchords to play metal. Infact its so overdone and generic it bores me to tears. The best example I can randomly think of is the band Opeth, they use alot of full chords with distortion instead of just playing powerchords. Listen to the beginning of ....*thinks of random opeth song*...The drapery falls. The minor add9 chords sound awesome.

It is difficult to get a good enough tone that actually works with full chords that are distorted. Most of us with crappy solid state amps can't get a good sound out of any non-perfect intervals when we have metal distortion on.
Quote by Rock Musician

well say i got a vocal melody composed over the world's most common chord progression over acoustic rhythm - C Am Dm G

Complex metal rhythm is a matter of time signatures, compound, odd time signatures etc. Chords are like colors or moods, learn what chords create the moods you like. Add 2 chords, minor 9ths, minor 6ths, inversions etc, there are a lot of ways to mix up metal playing.