Hey guys,
I just got a used Fender Telecoustic that is giving me some troubles. The action is way to high in my opinion. I've played enough electric and acoustic guitars to know that this neck is out of whack. I am going to purchase some lighter strings hoping that this will help unfortunately, the current strings don't seem like they are that heavy. If my new strings don't fix the problem is there anything else I can do to correct this problem?
yeah good luck
try searching UG for telecoustic or stratacoustic & you will find what most people think of them
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Most people here hate both the Stratacoustic and the telecoustic, so they will not be much help. Best thing I can tell you is take it to a guitar store and have them fix the action.
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
lots of guitars are sold with high action - most, in my experience. it isn't usually a problem with the neck, so i wouldn't recommend adjusting the truss rod to fix it as action has nothing to do with the truss rod, but you could check the neck for relief
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/TrussRods/TrussRodAdj/tradj.html

and you can check the action at the nut
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/nutaction.html

most likely you should take it to a guitar tech, not at guitar store like guitar center unless you have no choice, and get the action adjusted so it's to your liking.
Hey wheh i first got my stratacoustic i had a similar problem now thinking back on it.
I got rid of some of the action height by "micro-tilting" the neck. I.E. putting a piece of card under the two back screws in the neck pocket. Changing the neck to pocket angle slightly It did make it more playable but took several tries to get it just right
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Dix_Fix
Hey wheh i first got my stratacoustic i had a similar problem now thinking back on it.
I got rid of some of the action height by "micro-tilting" the neck. I.E. putting a piece of card under the two back screws in the neck pocket. Changing the neck to pocket angle slightly It did make it more playable but took several tries to get it just right

Thanx. I'm gonna try that out and see how well that works. How much card are you using?
Try googling MicroTilt if you are unsure but is easy enough a concept if you change the neck to body angle you change the string height by changing the angle of the strings entering the bridge. It did take several goes but isnt too bad now. Mind you I havent played with it at all in the last 2 & 1/2 yrs I simply do not like it. But hell it is a nice looking guitar.

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
I have the same problem with my stratacoustic, i tried changing the strings just last week in fact, i used extra light strings and there was no real noticible change.

I have listed my one in the local paper and i am going to buy something else, i have had enough of it.

I really liked the look of it aswell thats why i bought it, but i was playing a cheapo accoustic out on one of the oil rigs and it sounded amazing compared to the stratacoustic.
Quote by mrmystic
Most people here hate both the Stratacoustic and the telecoustic, so they will not be much help. Best thing I can tell you is take it to a guitar store and have them fix the action.

Hating those guitars has nothing with how helpful we will be. If something is wrong with a guitar, your default action should be to take it to the shop.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
I didnt say you guys wouldnt be helpful, I just meant it more or less as a dont get discouraged if people say they dont like your new guitar...
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
I found this thread through Google and wanted to add what I did to fix a Stratacoustic.

I picked up a Stratacoustic on eBay for cheap last week. I like Tele and Stratacoustics because they look cool, and you don't see them everywhere (prob bc they suck lol). Of course I didn't have my hopes up bc it is such a cheap guitar. When I got it, though, I was pretty disappointed. The action up the neck was so high it was nearly unplayable with medium strings. Crazy thing was there was no bow in either direction on the neck. The neck angle down to the body was just ridiculous.

The saddle was already low ridin, but I went ahead and sanded it down as much as I could. Didn't help. So I decided to lift the neck from the pocket using shims as suggested above. I started with one credit card. I used a hole punch to make the holes for the screws. It was really easy.
1. Loosen strings
2. Remove the screws from the neck
3. Lift neck out of pocket
4. Insert shim (credit cards, id cards, player's club lol)
5. Reattach neck and tune

Well at this point I have 3 old credit/id/club cards in there, and the action is about the same as one of my other cheap acoustics (85 Martin Sigma). I will probably add another card or two depending on when I start getting buzz. You can see in the pics where I marked how much the neck moved; the top line is where it was originally.

So yeah, it plays good now. It's a hack job, but a free way to fix a cheap guitar if you don't have the time or want to spend the $ at the shop. If you have the materials, you could make a custom wood shim so as not to look completely trashy.

Jessica
OhthatsGood you have the idea right but the application wrong on (micro-tilting) the neck.

If you want the strings to come closer to the neck at 14 you only put the card 'shim' under the back two screws not all 4 screws. Small piece of card under the back screws tilts the neck with respect to the body,, where putting card under all 4 screws will lift the neck but you will have to lift it a long way. As with yours.

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Feb 20, 2010,
Ooooh OK! For some reason just doing the back ones didn't make sense to me, but now I see the concept. Dur. Thanks!
So ohtatsgood how did it go ?? It can take a bit of trial & error but you can get them to be very playable & feel great to play, the unamplified sound however you can do nothing about !! Never fails though when people see mine (sitting with other great guitars) they pick up the stratacoustic as they do look great.

I love the blonde one of yours, looks cool
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by about
If something is wrong with a guitar, your default action should be to take it to the shop.

The default action should be to learn how to fix it on your own.

TS, adjusting string height is a relatively simple task. Follow patticake's links.
Quote by GC Shred Off

TS, adjusting string height is a relatively simple task. Follow patticake's links.

^^ I couldnt agree more ^^ also if the guitar is yours who is it hurting if you stuff it up. Just have a go & take care & any guitar repair is quite possable, especially since the internet is there to gather all the information you need before you start the job. If you are armed with the necessary information it makes the job easier. I started with zero woodworking experiance & have now fixed dozens & dozens of guitars & have also built 1 accoustic & 3 electrics & have a electric resonator on the workbench at this time.

Have a go at whatever fixes your guitar/s need at worst if you totally stuff up you will have a neat wall hanging that has a great story & the question of if you are capable of fixing said guitar is answered LOL
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by GC Shred Off

Hell, forget consumerism, lets just build our own guitars.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
my husband and i are working on our first

Quote by about
Quote by about

A stellar idea! It would certainly limit the number of "How do I fix this?" threads.
hey dont forget to build your own guitar you get stung by consumerism as well just have a look at the price of quality kits or the price of good luthier grade timbers & you soon get the idea out of your head it is cheap.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
oh, hey guys. i actually corrected this problem about a month ago and i didn't even have to take it to the shop. i hate taking my gear to the shop, it just seems so wrong to me. its kinda like having a dirty, old guy you just met finger your girlfriend. my Telecoustic now plays pretty damn close to my actual telecaster. couldn't be happier with it.
I agree with you guys. eff consumerism. Im working on my first guitar build as we speak... Jazzmaster........ yum
cool have you started a thread?
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
It all helps keep you enthused & eager to get the next part ready only thing i made sure i understood the concept of each part of that i was making beforehand it really helped. Mind you it is hard as hell to wait when you have all systems go in the brain,,

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Feb 24, 2010,