As some of you may know, the current irish minister for finance, Brian Lenihan, has been recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

Aside from the fact that this is terrible news for him and his family, there has been uproar with the way the story was reported.

TV3 learned of the story on Christmas eve, and it was held until St.Stephens Day, out of respect.

Video Link

Just to get your opinion on whether it was morally right of TV3 to make this report. Before commenting, a little background info:

Lenihan, being the finance minister, in the current economic climate, is one of the most important members of cabinet, and generally one of the most popular too. His ability to do his job has a direct and immediate impact on the lives of everyone in the country.

On the other hand, it is christmas, there is no political work going on until the new year, so should TV3 have held back on the announcement a little longer.

Discuss?
Quote by Mazzakazza
It's his business whether and what he has and it was wholly immoral to share such information with the public without his say-so.

Do you not think though, by accepting the position he gave up, to a certain extent, his privacy, and that given the circumstances, any condition that could alter the minister for finances ability to his job, is of public interest, and should be made known?

Im just playing devils advocate here, to incite discussion, btw
Quote by Mazzakazza
It's his business whether and what he has and it was wholly immoral to share such information with the public without his say-so.

this. They shouldn't have reported on it until he told them himself.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
It´s the ****ing english press.
What did ya expect?
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker
What did ya expect?

Irish. Maybe not that different in style and methods... but it the Irish press.
Quote by jimmy_neutron
Do you not think though, by accepting the position he gave up, to a certain extent, his privacy, and that given the circumstances, any condition that could alter the minister for finances ability to his job, is of public interest, and should be made known?

Im just playing devils advocate here, to incite discussion, btw

I really don't think so, because even if he holds an important position, the rest of the government is involved in making the decisions he is in charge of. I really find it unacceptable.

I also think it was likely that any politician/public figure would have announced this to the nation themselves, therefore TV3 were just cashing in. But if he wanted to keep it private, that is his personal business. (Not to mention, medical records are one of the most stringently private records held on any one of us)
It's his life, his cancer, and should therefore be his decision. In today's media, nothing is held sacred. I'm shocked they waited to announce it. In the U.S., that information would have been on every news network as soon as it was leaked.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by Mazzakazza
I really don't think so, because even if he holds an important position, the rest of the government is involved in making the decisions he is in charge of. I really find it unacceptable.

I also think it was likely that any politician/public figure would have announced this to the nation themselves, therefore TV3 were just cashing in. But if he wanted to keep it private, that is his personal business. (Not to mention, medical records are one of the most stringently private records held on any one of us)

Yes the rest of the government is involved, but Lenihan has been a key player in the three budgets(obviously), dealing with the banks, dealing with union strikes etc. And without him, the things would be considerably different now.

Im interested to know how TV3 found out, what with doctor patient confidentiality. I think that the timing is a little out of taste, but cancer and its treatment has such a sever effect on the body that it could render Lenihan unfit for his duties, meaning the public have a right to know. Had it been mid political season, i would see no problem in the report. However over christmas, when the dail is on holidays, seems a little tasteless to put it mildly.
Quote by Dawnwalker
What did ya expect?
Did you not bother reading anything in this thread?
Being a public official he does give up some of his privacy, but couldn't we give him a few days to tell the public about this himself ?
I think it is better (in some respects) that the news is leaked while he is not working as he wouldn't have to push himself so hard to prove he can still function like a healthy person, meaning that when he goes back people will already be aware and ready to support him when he needs it.

Having said that the timing is still a little iffy
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
They should have held their tongues, until he made a public announcement himself.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.