I've noticed that I like playing without a pick most times. I like the sound I get out of my guitar better that way, always have since I started playing. I just use my index and thumb finger pressed together like I would if I had a pick in my fingers and play that way. Is there a huge disadvantage to playing like this? I can play with a pick just fine, I just don't really like the sound I get and I've tried many different types (thickness and such) of picks.
Laguna 422-HE
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pocket POD
(Slowly getting back into the groove )
It will be a disadvantage with speed picking.... but if you like the sound of it then just try to work with it.

You know find ways around it to make everything work for you.

If you like it then it can just be your playing style.... i don't see why not
Learn the proper Finger technique. I play with a pick & without one and it's fun.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/fingerpick.html
A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs.
Quote by ChrisrMS
I've noticed that I like playing without a pick most times. I like the sound I get out of my guitar better that way, always have since I started playing. I just use my index and thumb finger pressed together like I would if I had a pick in my fingers and play that way. Is there a huge disadvantage to playing like this? I can play with a pick just fine, I just don't really like the sound I get and I've tried many different types (thickness and such) of picks.

You mean like pick attack? Or just overall tone? Because if it's tone, you can make it sound like your finger-picking with certain pedals...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
jeff beck plays with his fingers but it sounds like he's using a pick, its a good way to play, but yeah its good to use both. The only things i can think of that you couldnt do with your fingers are fast alternate picking, string skipping and pinch harmonics.
Well I'm not much a speed picker, and I actually can get pinch harmonics without a pick just haven't perfected it yet.
Laguna 422-HE
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pocket POD
I can get pinch harmonics using my thumb and finger. It is easier with a pick though.
sig goes here
I find it easier without one I don't know why I can't do it with a pick.
Laguna 422-HE
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pocket POD
Really? Hmm...

Well if you can do everything without a pick better than you do it with a pick, go for it. And just think, you won't have to worry about dropping your pick on stage.
sig goes here
thanks for posting this. I am total newbie and also dont use a pick. I dont know. Im not trying to be different... I honestly just like the way the guitar feels, maybe its just one less thing to hold. I like the softer sound of the skin on the strings but I did grow a couple nails out for when I want a harder sound.
Hi another non-picker here. I've always held a pick very uncomfortably and sloppily, so I figured what the hell and dropped the pick. Feels more natural.

Maybe someone should start a UG group "Look ma! No pick!"...
Quote by TheLukeMaxfield
jefThe only things i can think of that you couldnt do with your fingers are fast alternate picking, string skipping and pinch harmonics.

Woah, what?

The right handed part of skipping is way faster without a pick.

Pinch harmonics just have to be done with a finger and thumb, and without a pick there are other kinds of harmonics that can be done as well.
Technically you can still do fast alternate picking with fingers (look at some flamenco runs, they are about as fast as most shred runs) but it looks way harder. Props to those guys.
I can play without a pick by tapping notes with my right hand on the string my left hand finger is on and doing sweeps with left hand, but not all strings have to be tapped with the right hand: you can just hammer on some with your left.
I find it much easier and more natural to go from faux picking with my fingers to fingerpicking without a pick. I only really fingerpick if I'm using a clean channel on my amp.
Laguna 422-HE
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pocket POD