That was probably the best sounding guitar in that range that I wanted, so I got it. Is this a decent guitar to upgrade pickups, or should I just not waste any money on it and wait for another more expensive guitar?
Amps:
Fender Frontman 15r

Guitars:
Epiphone Dot Studio
Squier Strat

Pedals:
Crybaby Original Wah
Boss DS-1
Do you like the sound? If so, why bother changing it?

EDIT: Also, using a 15w Fender amp, I'm not really sure a pickup swap would change much anyway.
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Ibanez SZ4020 w/BKP Miracle Man set
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Tanglewood TSB58 HB w/BKP Nailbomb & Cold Sweat
Epiphone SG Prophecy w/Seymour Duncan/Ibz
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
Last edited by lyonk55 at Dec 27, 2009,
Quote by lyonk55
Do you like the sound? If so, why bother changing it?

Because there are obviously better sounds out there.
Amps:
Fender Frontman 15r

Guitars:
Epiphone Dot Studio
Squier Strat

Pedals:
Crybaby Original Wah
Boss DS-1
Well just remember that more expensive guitars don't always equal better sound. Lyonk55 is right about the amp aswell though. Maybe if you want to get the best sound out of your guitar then amp upgrade would be necessary.
Amp first, then think about pickups.

Even the mediocre stock pickups in my RGT sounded pretty damn good with my amp.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
I would change the amp first... then the pickups if your still not happy. they are great guitars, put some sweet gibson pups running through a tube amp (orgasmic)
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
Quote by Mitochondria9
Amp first, then think about pickups.

Even the mediocre stock pickups in my RGT sounded pretty damn good with my amp.

Mediocre pickups through modelling amp? And it sounds pretty damn good? ok........

But, you are very correct about getting a new amp first.
New amp for sure.
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Quote by willT08
Mediocre pickups through modelling amp? And it sounds pretty damn good? ok........

But, you are very correct about getting a new amp first.

Hai, the Vypyr is one of the better modeling amps for the price, I dont want to hear shit about it.

You missed the point that you dont need to put EMGs in it to get a "good sound", its more about your amp, especially when said amp is a 15w Fender Frontman.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Dec 27, 2009,
Quote by Mitochondria9
Hai, the Vypyr is one of the better modeling amps for the price, I dont want to hear shit about it.

You missed the point that you dont need to put EMGs in it to get a "good sound", its more about your amp, especially when said amp is a 15w Fender Frontman.

No-one even mentioned EMG's. And, my problem wasn't that it's a Vyper. Moreso that he believes that his modelling amp is bringing out character from his guitar.
Quote by Mitochondria9

The Vypr is a great 'modeling' amp, but put it side by side with an all tube amp and it sounds thin and digital. When you do this you'll understand. (i'm not commenting on it's merits as an amp, merely tone).

TS:

I know how you're feeling. You've got a new guitar that should be leaps and bounds ahead, yet it has a similar lifeless tone to your previous guitar.

So here's some advice:

Whilst pickups shape your tone, they are a very small contributing factor.

Upgrade the amp first. An all tube amp is a must if we are in search of that perfect tone imo.

Go and try some out! I'd recommend a valve junior or a GA5. They are great sounding budget tube amps if you don't have a vast budget.

If the budget allows there are alot more options but tone is subjective so remember the golden rule. TRY THEM OUT!
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Dec 27, 2009,