Well, I've been looking for a reverb/delay pedal. Could someone please tell me the difference between a reverb and a delay effect? and how they're similar..
i was also wondering if you could get a reverb effect with a delay pedal or vice versa.

and if i had to choose one which would you recommend.

basically, i want something to add a little more character for solos and such.
and i play sort of hard rock/metal stuff if that helps any.
i know delay is better for soloing, but i don't know the difference , so bump.

EDIT: http://www.behindthemixer.com/content/reverb-or-delay-do-you-know-difference , this may helps and here's a little list of good delay pedals:

Digital:

Boss DD-7
Hardwire DL-8
Nova Delay
Boss DD-20

Analog:

Mxr Carbon Copy
ehx memory boy
i scream for ice cream
Last edited by MalGanisWL at Dec 27, 2009,
delay is basically an echo. it takes a copy of the signal and delays it (and lowers the volume in most cases) a bit on playback (hence the name) listen to the Edge (U2) for good delay examples.

reverb is room noise. go in a gym and clap your hands. you'll hear the sound bouncing all around the room kind of like a whole bunch of closely spaced echoes. it's different from delay in that it's not a direct copy of the original, just the noise (reverberation) that is created from the original sound in a virtual room.

make sense? i know those are bad descriptions, but that's the best i can think of right now.

EDIT: delay is more popular for soloing, but some reverb will help fill it out more. if you have a tube amp, chances are it has reverb built in. if you have a modeling amp, it for sure has reverb built in. it's probably the most common effect... even more than overdrive/distortion.
Last edited by sandyman323 at Dec 27, 2009,
^^ .. my blackstar doesnt lol

so im guessing a delay would be more beneficial than a reverb? or both......?
I prefer reverb over delay, but to be honest i've not spent much time with a delay.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
so i think i'll get a delay..

and one more thing.. is it possible to get a delay pedal to produce subtle reverb (ish) sounds? or are they really different sounding?
you can get a sort of approximation of a reverb with a good, versatile delay pedal. it won't really be the same though. they are different.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
There are reverb/delay type pedals out there. O have a dd7 and to replicate verb I lower most knobs. Sounds better than my 5150 verb but then again the tank may have been bad.
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57