I was looking at the Highway One and liked how it looked compared to the MIM HSS Strat and liked that it had 22 frets.

I have also heard that the pickups are better.

Would it be worth saving up for a Highway One?

Has anyone here ever used it? If so, how did you like it?

Thanks
I just played a highway one today and I really liked it. Really liked the neck and the nitro finish felt great to. I actually prefered it to an MIA standard. I didn't play the HSS though, just the single coil.
Quote by Shabadoo
I just played a highway one today and I really liked it. Really liked the neck and the nitro finish felt great to. I actually prefered it to an MIA standard. I didn't play the HSS though, just the single coil.

So i should save up?

I might try it out at GC soon... but not sure if they would have it because I'm out of town and i've never been to the GC around here
I have two Highway One Strats (3 single coils traded for Duncan Hot Rails) and I like them better than m old American Standard Strat.
Quote by bobthebum16
So i should save up?

I might try it out at GC soon... but not sure if they would have it because I'm out of town and i've never been to the GC around here

I'd say give both a shot then decide. The highway one definitely has a different feel and sound then a regular Strat (MiM or MiA), personally I perfer it. IMO the Highway one is worth every penny more than a MIM strat, but it does come down to preference. I fully intend on buying one fairly soon (and swapping out the bridge pup).
Quote by Shabadoo
I'd say give both a shot then decide. The highway one definitely has a different feel and sound then a regular Strat (MiM or MiA), personally I perfer it. IMO the Highway one is worth every penny more than a MIM strat, but it does come down to preference. I fully intend on buying one fairly soon (and swapping out the bridge pup).

Why soon... is the price gonna get higher?
And the bridge pup not good?
Quote by bobthebum16
Why soon... is the price gonna get higher?
And the bridge pup not good?

Nope, not that I know of, just time to get another guitar. As for the bridge pup, I just want to get a stacked single coil in the bridge so I can play higher gain stuff, essentially just to increase the versatility of the guitar. Though the pick ups in the highway one are supposed to handle higher gain stuff fairly well for singles.
Quote by Shabadoo
Nope, not that I know of, just time to get another guitar. As for the bridge pup, I just want to get a stacked single coil in the bridge so I can play higher gain stuff, essentially just to increase the versatility of the guitar. Though the pick ups in the highway one are supposed to handle higher gain stuff fairly well for singles.

If you gonna stick a mini humbucker in the SSS why not just buy the HSS....?
Quote by bobthebum16
If you gonna stick a mini humbucker in the SSS why not just buy the HSS....?

Can't get a maple fretboard in the HSS.
I read a lot of reviews saying the bridge pup is just OK for metal and that the pickup should be changed.

But if i liked the sound of the bridge pup on the MIM HSS strat for metal would the bridge pup for the Highway One HSS Strat be ok for me?

I play more of like a hard rock type of metal like Sabbath, Heaven and Hell, Megadeth. Not like that "brutal" super heavy metal.....hope that made sense
The pickups on the Highway One guitars are a little more mellow and smooth than the ones in Standard Strats. They're actually ever so slightly higher output but they're made for more even response. I can't say they strike me as good pickups for any kind of metal, to me. Really, I doubt you'll find any stock Fender that is good for the sort of tones that it sounds like you want. You're going to be looking at a pickup change regardless.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Jackamedmos
if you're playing metal why do you insist on getting a strat?

I don't ONLY play metal and I love the feel of strats
Quote by bobthebum16
I don't ONLY play metal and I love the feel of strats

This is kinda what I'm going through right now. I kinda want a Suhr Classic though. Except that's like $3000 where the Highway One is an affordable option.
Quote by MrFlibble
The pickups on the Highway One guitars are a little more mellow and smooth than the ones in Standard Strats. They're actually ever so slightly higher output but they're made for more even response. I can't say they strike me as good pickups for any kind of metal, to me. Really, I doubt you'll find any stock Fender that is good for the sort of tones that it sounds like you want. You're going to be looking at a pickup change regardless.

I probably will change the pickups over time but until that time would it work?

EDIT: When I do change the pickups what would be better for the bridge pickup a Duncan JB or a Dimarzio Super Distortion?
Last edited by bobthebum16 at Jan 1, 2010,
Quote by Jackamedmos
if you're playing metal why do you insist on getting a strat?

ask Dave Murray
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I own one and I love it. I mostly play blues, psychedelic and jam band stuff. Handles everything well, good tuners although I feel like they got better after more use... I'd defiantly recommend saving for one. Its a great guitar plain and simple.
Freedom isn't free...

It costs like ten dollars a gram