I wanted a setup kit for Christmas, but was still up in the air on if I should go ahead and buy one, or just take it to the shop

So, is it really that difficult at all, or is it once you get a hang of it, it's easy as pie?

Thanks
Starting Weight: 310, 38.8% Body fat (11/2008, pic in profile)
Latest Weigh in 230.2 14.3% Body fat (4/13/2013)

Pro life, pro gun, health nut, Christian and conservative. I make no apologies if what I say pisses anybody off.
If you have the kit, follow some instructions and have an iq of higher than 4 then you should be able to do it.

Just don't deviate from the instructions and it should turn out fine..

Depending on how much this kit is and if it has all the parts its most likely a good buy and will help you with some guitar skills

have fun either way.

HELLO!

without a kit or proper instructions I was able to get the action and intonation worked out without too much trouble, just took a while

I didn't have any way to measure string height so I wasn't able to do neck relief

if you take your time you should be alright
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
if you google it you should find some decent guitar sites that state how a setup should be.

such as: http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/intonation.htm

you can find most stuff on there about setting up a guitar. if you have the right tools (generally a few screw drivers and allen wrenches) you should be able to work on most guitars. its not really hard, just a very fine, detailed, trial and error process. small adjustments.

only serious thing is truss rod, cause that can cause damage if done wrong so if you are not comforatable then take it to your shop.

heres one for truss rod:
http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/trussrods.htm

but again if you look to the left, there is a ton of stuff
Last edited by ikey_ at Dec 27, 2009,
tape up everything. i recently started my first full setup, although i had to also level the frets, that shouldn't be needed with a new one. just tape around the frets. and tape over the finish if you are leveling, i got a few scratches from not taping to start. most issues can be avoided if you go slow about it though