Well, since it was christmas, I got some money and I can buy an EMG 81 pickup. I love playing metal with my schecter omen 6, it's the only thing I play pretty much. I have humbuckers in at the moment and I was wondering would it give me a better sound playing metal with an EMG 81?

Should I get one or not?
In short: only if you have a good (generally valve) amp.

Even then, it depends on taste.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
what amp?

name some bands/songs you want to sound like?

are you prepared to change both pickups or just have a bridge pickup?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I use Podfarm for my amps and that.

And most bands I like are metalcore, stuff like A Day To Remember, Parkway Drive, August Burns Red, The Ghost Inside, For the Fallen Dreams.

I don't have enough money to change both pickups.
what amp ur playing?

EDIT : Sorry didnt see the posts above yeah dont mix passive and active. EMG 81/85 or 60/81 are good combos but I'm not a big fan of emg's
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
Last edited by Wiintruder at Dec 27, 2009,
If I were you, I'd get a good passive pickup. I've heard bad things about EMGs, plus you have to deal with batteries (which is really annoying, trust me). I can recommend the APC Persuader, I have one in my guitar. It sounds good and is really quiet. And it looks like an active, if you like that.
I'll save up for 2 EMG's then!

Do Emg's 81 and 85 go well together?
Last edited by Andrew/WK at Dec 27, 2009,
EMG 81 and 85 do go well together (the ones I have atm) you might want to buy as a ZW set - includes pots output jack etc..

Zhuriel seems a bit biased, so just do what you think's best..

Make sure to think about the 18v mod on EMG's

HELLO!

EMG's work great in recording, but don't mix them with passives, or else you'll be in a world of shit due to problems. I personally like the EMG 81 81 set up, when you mix them you can get a very nice and full tone, and an amazing clean tone as well. And I would stick with the standard 9 volt instead of the 18 volt mod, unless you decided you don't like the 9 volt, then upgrade to the 18 volt mod, don't just go straight for the 18 volt mod.

People say EMG's suck, but they just don't know how to EQ them properly, so they think they suck.
Quote by gnomieowns
don't try and mix passive and active.

It's not as hard as people suggest.

I wouldn't recommend it without a basic knowledge of electronics and physics however....
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
i guess emgs would do good for ur metalcore taste, 81/60 would be my preference tho
81 + 85 are great for playing metal then? I want a good, solid tone, that's all. Something my humbucker doesn't give.
Quote by Andrew/WK
81 + 85 are great for playing metal then? I want a good, solid tone, that's all. Something my humbucker doesn't give.

TBH if it's a problem with your tone you'd get better results with a new amp set up.

Quote by Zhuriel
If I were you, I'd get a good passive pickup. I've heard bad things about EMGs, plus you have to deal with batteries (which is really annoying, trust me). I can recommend the APC Persuader, I have one in my guitar. It sounds good and is really quiet. And it looks like an active, if you like that.

Have you actually had experience with EMG's or are you just going off hearsay. FWIW EMG active pickups should last around 3000 hours plugged in. Take that as you will but that will pretty much last you a few months so no it's not annoying.
Quote by Andrew/WK

Ummm, thats not your humbuckers doing that. Save up for a nice amp. Pickups are meant to tweak your sound, not completely change it.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Ummm, thats not your humbuckers doing that. Save up for a nice amp. Pickups are meant to tweak your sound, not completely change it.

This.
I'd suggest a new amp, especially if you aren't playing through a tube amp.
But if you're determined to get EMGs, get a 60 in the neck instead of an 81 or 85, because at least they sound good clean.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Andrew/WK

Why not upgrade to a pair of top-notch humbuckers (passive)? This place offers an EMG set for about 100 pounds, more or less, but you can get a set of nice humbuckers for much less. Take a look:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-EMGZW-Zakk-Wylde-8185-Humbucker-Set?sku=301511

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/seymour-duncan-guitar-pickups-guitar-pickups-bodies-necks-bridges-nuts-onboard-preamps-pickguards-more?N=100001+336328+201253

Quote by azn_guitarist25
FWIW EMG active pickups should last around 3000 hours plugged in. Take that as you will but that will pretty much last you a few months so no it's not annoying.

Well, I have a battery for my Sustainiac, which probably needs more power, and it does get annoying to change it every month or so, plus you have to remember to unplug the guitar to disconnect the battery. With my setup, I still have a passive bridge pickup should the battery run out (or disconnect because of a shock or something)
If your using something like a pod then your not really gonna get much out of EMGs. The money spent on the pickups would be much better spent on a good amp first.
Quote by Chorduroy
Why not upgrade to a pair of top-notch humbuckers (passive)? This place offers an EMG set for about 100 pounds, more or less, but you can get a set of nice humbuckers for much less. Take a look:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-EMGZW-Zakk-Wylde-8185-Humbucker-Set?sku=301511

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/seymour-duncan-guitar-pickups-guitar-pickups-bodies-necks-bridges-nuts-onboard-preamps-pickguards-more?N=100001+336328+201253

Will they deliver to UK?
Quote by Tackleberry
If your using something like a pod then your not really gonna get much out of EMGs. The money spent on the pickups would be much better spent on a good amp first.

Who said? The newer PODs use perfect impulse modelling for amps and cabs.
Quote by In The Mist
If your using POD farm then you really won't get the full advantage of actives.

Yes he will. Low impedance has a host of benefits that are all fully realized through digital modelling.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by Mo Jiggity
Yes he will. Low impedance has a host of benefits that are all fully realized through digital modelling.

I don't know what your getting at. Impedance is a term used to refer to the resistance a cable or other device has to a signal.
Quote by Mo Jiggity

It dosent matter, the tone port acts like a interface and line levels the signal anyway, so the physical output of the pickup is unregarded. The only time you run into problems is when you do something like what I do and that's running the guitar straight into the mic in without using a interface or preamp or something to line level your signal. And when I do that I get alot of buzz and interference, and mainly sounds bad. But actives into an interface will sound just as good as passives.
This thread made me lol for a little while, at least until Azn and Ethan started getting shit straight for everyone.