Hey guys,

I've been looking for a gigging amp for an alt rock type band and found the Marshall DSL401 JCM2000 (combo) which seems to have everything I'm looking for, I just have a few main questions about it.

1) Is it loud enough on its own for pubs and small venues, aswell as outdoor events?

2) Will I/when will I need extension cabs? And how much increase in volume would an extension cab (of whatever size) provide?

3) Do I need extension cabs at 8 or 16 ohms so that I can still run the internal speaker? (Sorry if this is nooby question - I have trouble getting my head around this ohmage lark)

4) Does anyone have examples of cabs they have used with this combo or similar which they would suggest? (With internal speaker running aswell)

Any other comments of opinions on the amp greatly appreciated aswell.
Quote by matt_0_5
1) Yes
2) No
3) Don't need cabs
4) Don't need cabs

Simples

Haha cheers mate. Is it definitly enough to run at quite high volume in a 200 capacity type place though? Just wanna be sure before I buy.
how many watts is it? I would say 30W would be enough for a 200 capacity place
It'll do it easy mate. Anywhere that's too big for a 30+ watt tube amp will be miced anyway
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
It is 40 watts tube, so it is going to be pretty loud when cranked. If you do want to run another cabinet, Marshall makes a 2x12 cabinet that will move all of the air you might need to move.

What is everyone else in your band playing through? Because if you have another guitarist and he or she is playing through a 100-watt amp with a 4x12 cabinet, or if your bassist has a 1000-watt amp and an 8x10 cabinet, then you'll almost certainly need the extension cab. But since most venues are going to have a good P.A. system, the combo should be loud enough for you.
Quote by McBaino
how many watts is it? I would say 30W would be enough for a 200 capacity place

Quote by R.D
It'll do it easy mate. Anywhere that's too big for a 30+ watt tube amp will be miced anyway

40W all tube. Sounds like should be great then thanks.
40 watts of valve will do pretty much anything you need, unless you need massive clean headroom or muge amounts of preamp gain. And you don't...It's very difficult to say to anyone "this is how many watts you need" since there are about 13456782055 things that affect percieved volume, but I find 30+ watts of valve will cover you for anything, and if your playing anywhere where you need more, you will most definately have a good PA system.

Also, you are buying that second hand aren't you, because they are suicidally poor value new...

EDIT: Kinda beaten
Quote by FatalGear41
It is 40 watts tube, so it is going to be pretty loud when cranked. If you do want to run another cabinet, Marshall makes a 2x12 cabinet that will move all of the air you might need to move.

What is everyone else in your band playing through? Because if you have another guitarist and he or she is playing through a 100-watt amp with a 4x12 cabinet, or if your bassist has a 1000-watt amp and an 8x10 cabinet, then you'll almost certainly need the extension cab. But since most venues are going to have a good P.A. system, the combo should be loud enough for you.

I'm only guitarist and bassist won't be playing through anything massive ( I hope ). I would like to beable to use without hooking up to PA because of uality of PA system we have (for self run gigs) so do you have any more knowledge on running external cabs with reference to 8/16ohms?
Quote by ProgFolk12
40 watts of valve will do pretty much anything you need, unless you need massive clean headroom or muge amounts of preamp gain. And you don't...It's very difficult to say to anyone "this is how many watts you need" since there are about 13456782055 things that affect percieved volume, but I find 30+ watts of valve will cover you for anything, and if your playing anywhere where you need more, you will most definately have a good PA system.

Also, you are buying that second hand aren't you, because they are suicidally poor value new...

EDIT: Kinda beaten

Yes second hand for 320. Does that sound alright deal then?
yeah that seems pretty reasonable, though I'm not an expret on DSL's. A lot of people recommend a speaker swap and such like to really get them to sound their best, but yeah, see what you think of it stock etc. And +1 to the quality of local pub gig PA systems, I'd rather just go unheard than use most I come across. As for running cabs, just match the impedence of any cab you wish to use with the impedence of the line out, but I don't think you can use the internal and external speakers together, not sure though. Also bear in mind that the main difference with an extenion cab is in fullness and bass response, it may SEEM louder, but it actually isn't really. However I'm sure once you play it you'll realise that volume wise there's no need for a cab. I can fill pubs on volume 3 with a 30 watt 112

EDIT: I do go on a bit sometimes
You probably won't need an extension cab, but if you do I would recommend an Avatar or something like that with Vintage 30 speakers. The stock speaker in the amp isn't very good, so if you feel like upgrading a little bit than a Vintage 30 speaker would help tremendously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bwIwsP-d9g

In the end though, you'll probably be fine. In the places where you need more volume, they'll probably have a P.A. ready to go.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by ProgFolk12
yeah that seems pretty reasonable, though I'm not an expret on DSL's. A lot of people recommend a speaker swap and such like to really get them to sound their best, but yeah, see what you think of it stock etc. And +1 to the quality of local pub gig PA systems, I'd rather just go unheard than use most I come across. As for running cabs, just match the impedence of any cab you wish to use with the impedence of the line out, but I don't think you can use the internal and external speakers together, not sure though. Also bear in mind that the main difference with an extenion cab is in fullness and bass response, it may SEEM louder, but it actually isn't really. However I'm sure once you play it you'll realise that volume wise there's no need for a cab. I can fill pubs on volume 3 with a 30 watt 112

EDIT: I do go on a bit sometimes

Yeah this is set up with celestion vintage 30 apparently so should be nice tone. And I've heard you can use both sets of speakers together but I shoudl really research myself further rather than be lazy, shame it's so complicated fo me... And good to know about volume levels - thanks a lot.

Quote by acdclandon
You probably won't need an extension cab, but if you do I would recommend an Avatar or something like that with Vintage 30 speakers. The stock speaker in the amp isn't very good, so if you feel like upgrading a little bit than a Vintage 30 speaker would help tremendously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bwIwsP-d9g

In the end though, you'll probably be fine. In the places where you need more volume, they'll probably have a P.A. ready to go.

I'll have a look at Avatar then cheers.
Ah good stuff, the V30's a good match for the DSL. Where are you located as well, if like me your Europe then there's no chance of an avatar, US only I'm afraid Best bet around here is a used orange PPC 212, IMO
Quote by ProgFolk12
Ah good stuff, the V30's a good match for the DSL. Where are you located as well, if like me your Europe then there's no chance of an avatar, US only I'm afraid Best bet around here is a used orange PPC 212, IMO

Ahhhhh I'm in UK. Just found that out myself... Checked the ohm thing and I think now I understand that if I have 16 ohms I can run both external and internal - orange fits and looks pretty sweet