Quicksilver Messenger Service
The United States of America
13th Floor Elevators
Humble Pie
The Small Faces
Mountain
John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
The Band

Discuss these and other underrated classic rock bands that you may know of.
Traffic
Please don't confront me with my failures. I had not forgotten them.
I don't know if you ever heard of them, but I'm really getting into this groovy little covers band, called The Rolling Stones.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Quote by Saethwyr
The Band
The band that backed one of the most revered musicians in the past 50 years, was the subject of one of the most popular music documentaries ever, and produced two of the most critically acclaimed albums in rock music is underrated?
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
^^Honestly they're not mentioned all that much around where I am

Good to know there's another 13th Floor Elevators fan around here though. You're Gonna Miss Me is a classic track.
Pot
Kettle
Black
Quote by genghisgandhi
Iron Butterfly. In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is a great album.

Have to agree with you there.
I know everybody sorta knows it because of that Simpsons' gag, but it really is a very good listen.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Bitter Blood Street Theatre.
The band that Alice Cooper stole his persona from... they invented fringe rock, had a deal with Columbia fall through in the early 70s when the guy signing them got fired, turned into the cult band that's still a cult hit in Europe, Blacklight Braille. And now their harmonica player/multi-instrumentalist is in my band.
Hey, I'm Mike.
No-one seems to talk about Jethro Tull very much, even though their early stuff was quite heavy. I saw them live with my Dad and I was the only person there who was under 40 :/ Also Emerson, Lake and Palmer are made of win, even though they're really more prog rock :P
Last edited by Ravenix at Jan 1, 2010,
Quote by genghisgandhi
Iron Butterfly. In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is a great album.

Was going to say this.
Sir lord Baltimore. I only know one of their songs, but it's still a good song.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by BrainDamage
The band that backed one of the most revered musicians in the past 50 years, was the subject of one of the most popular music documentaries ever, and produced two of the most critically acclaimed albums in rock music is underrated?

The Band is infamous for being praised by critics and musicians, but often over looked by the general public, this is why they are known to be underrated.

I definately AGREE with Traffic, and I think Donovan is very underrated.
I am Famous.
Deep Purple is pretty underrated. And honestly I'm gonna say the beach boys. Everyone knows who they are but most people think they suck, that is until I play them anything made between Pet Sounds and Sunflower then they love it haha. Everyone thinks they were some lame cheesy 60's pop band but when they here their later psychedelic sounding stuff they realize that they were an excellent band. They're like the mirror image of the beatles haha. I'm the one who had to get all my friends into them
Quote by Peaceful Rocker

I thought he backed up the Beach Boys thing pretty well.
Hey, I'm Mike.
I think Grand Funk Railroad are pretty underrated. The first two albums are very strong. Amazing energy, power and musicianship going on!

Jefferson Airplane are another fantastic, very influential rock band that people tend to forget about.
I agree with Grand Funk all the way. And Blue Cheer. Two of my favorite bands...
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
+1 for Poco, Cantamos kicks serious ass.
+1 for Ten Years After

How about:

The Outlaws
The Charlie Daniels Band (I'll bet you've never heard the Way Down Yonder album)
Larry Raspberry and the Highsteppers
The James Gang (Tommy Bolin era)
Hell, Tommy Bolin himself
Les Dudek
Wet Willie
Big Star
Manassas
Climax Blues Band
Dave Mason
The J. Geils Band
Savoy Brown
The Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Robert Palmer's early stuff (when Little Feat was his backing band)
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
I'll prob get bashed to hell for it, but I think KISS is pretty underrated. I mean, 70's KISS. Back then, they were adequate musicians who would've killed themselves to make it. Alot of times, people misunderstand them because of the makeup blah blah, and maybe they arent the best musicians, but certainly not the worst. It's a shame the makeup causes nobody to take them seriously, becuase in some way, KISS's music is more complicated, more technical than AC/DCs.

Check these videos out(especially the first one):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86H12yGvNFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ-wWKRUYuY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bvdPXvXvC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtp8wDwM9Zs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3r0fL2MTXM
Spooky Tooth, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Traffic, Ten Years After, The J. Geils Band, Wet Willie, Savoy Brown, James Cotton, The Edgar Winter Group, Electric Light Orchestra, Elvin Bishop, King Crimson, Grand Funk Railroad, Kinsey Report, The Move, Savoy Brown, and Steely Dan.
Quote by hard_rock101
if i started a brutal death metal band, id call it Bleeding Asshole
Quote by abdulalhazred
I really don't know whether I hope this is a troll thread or not....... I mean...either he raped a girl
Or thinks it's ****ing hilarious to joke about it.
He's a monster either way.
Last edited by J-Smack at Jan 20, 2010,
oh and of course how could I forget camel haha. They're so underrated that I even forgot to put them in my first post lol
Quote by twdavis13
I'll prob get bashed to hell for it, but I think KISS is pretty underrated. I mean, 70's KISS. Back then, they were adequate musicians who would've killed themselves to make it. Alot of times, people misunderstand them because of the makeup blah blah, and maybe they arent the best musicians, but certainly not the worst. It's a shame the makeup causes nobody to take them seriously, becuase in some way, KISS's music is more complicated, more technical than AC/DCs.

Check these videos out(especially the first one):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86H12yGvNFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ-wWKRUYuY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bvdPXvXvC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtp8wDwM9Zs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3r0fL2MTXM

ooh more technical than ACDC that mustve takin a ****load of work!
i salut you KISS! (not really)

Anyway, i think that dire straits is underrated, most peeps only know money for nothing and skip out on sultans or their other good tracks
BACK IN BLACK

Quote by somedude789
You get squirtle.

HELL YEAH!!!
Quote by shattamakar

But anyway, I don't want to be tempted to consume my semen every time I ejaculate.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynmumyjj2wm
I love Grand Funk Railroad, but no one ever knows about them. Also there are very, VERY limited tabs available on the internet. Great band.
Grand Funk was my favorite band back in 1975...they still sound good.

I'm a big 'British Invasion' guy, but somehow never heard much of the Small Faces until a few years ago. WOW, did they have it going on. Steve Marriott may not have been much of a pyrotechnic guitarist, but he had a great feel for rhythm and was one of the best singers EVER. Any fan of British Invasion should check them out. The fact that they were only together for 3 years is mind blowing, considering all their great songs and stylistic evolution during those years.
How about Moby Grape. Their first album is brilliant.
"When I die, they'll say 'he couldn't play sh*t, but he sure made it sound good!" - Hound Dog Taylor
^^ good list, except the Band, Nugent, Traffic are all well known around the world, just not discussed much on these forums
Quote by aig91
Little Feat
The Band
Traffic
Iron Butterfly
Wishbone Ash
Molly Hatchet
Blackfoot
The Outlaws
Dave Mason
Free
Mountain
King Crimson
Strawberry Alarm Clock
Ted Nugent

YES
When I die, want you to dress me in straght laced shoes
A box back coat and a Stetson hat;
Yes was a great band, but are they really underrated? Steve Howe was voted "Best Overall Guitarist" in Guitar Player magazine for five years in a row, '77-'81, so they're rated pretty highly by most 'classic rock' guitarists. (at least by all the guys that i know who are serious about music).

How about the Flamin' Groovies? There's a band that never gets any airplay or acclaim these days. 'Teenage Head' is a truly great early 70s rock album, that not many seem to know about.
"When I die, they'll say 'he couldn't play sh*t, but he sure made it sound good!" - Hound Dog Taylor
Quote by F-Hole
Yes was a great band, but are they really underrated? Steve Howe was voted "Best Overall Guitarist" in Guitar Player magazine for five years in a row, '77-'81, so they're rated pretty highly by most 'classic rock' guitarists. (at least by all the guys that i know who are serious about music).

How about the Flamin' Groovies? There's a band that never gets any airplay or acclaim these days. 'Teenage Head' is a truly great early 70s rock album, that not many seem to know about.

Who nominated yes? He was just agreeing with the Outlaws being on the list.
Oh okay, I guess you know BrotherRoberts better than I do.

BTW, I dig your KC avatar.
Last edited by F-Hole at Mar 16, 2010,
Quote by F-Hole
Oh okay, I guess you know BrotherRoberts better than I do.

BTW, I dig your KC avatar.

I don't know him at all , and thanks
Oh So Many Underrated Bands

Happy the Man
Dixie Dregs
Henry Cow
Curved Air
Gong
Hawkwind
Crime + City Solution

for instance.
Ok, most of the above are cult bands and if you weren't into 'em then, you probably never heard of them regardless

but there are lots of bands who people have forgotten about, not that they have been underrated:

King Crimson. Never gets airplay except 21st Century Schizoid Man, which, in this 21st Century we live in, should be daily fare. Well, all of their stuff should get played, often.

Emerson Lake Palmer - such an amazing band. They were dissed in their later days, for being too "technological" (such a joke) but they filled stadiums for f'n 6-8 years, continually. The Emerson Lake duet is performing as an acoustic team this April throughout the US and ELP are headlining the High Voltage Festival in London in July. But you don't hear them much on the radio anymore, even much on classic rock stations.

Frank Zappa, a king. I was just listening to Keep it Greasey. His son Dweezl is touring Zappa plays Zappa. should be a great show. Never hear Frank on the radio either.

New Riders of the Purple Sage. Panama Red, anyone? They are still around as the psychedelic country guys they have been forever. and on that note,
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, never hear them on the waves.

Spirit, definitely a forgotten band. Fresh Garbage is one of my favorite songs!
Animals (Eric Burdon, a great, great blues singer. And Chas Chandler, who went on the manage Hendrix)
Wishbone Ash (they were everywhere for a long time, and were stadium headliners too). I love how these amazing bands were making bazillions of dollars playing to 30,000+ crowds everywhere for long periods of time, and because they were not huge "hit" generators, are mostly forgotten except by us diehards.
10 Years After (oh, I just trip on the song, I Can't Keep From Crying, Sometimes, especially the a-ma-zing guitar solo)
USA (a great band, short lived)
UK ( better band, slightly longer lifespan. Love the lineup here: Wetton, Bruford, Holdsworth, Jobson)
The Swans

I could keep going on this topic.
Quote by miumiu

Frank Zappa, a king. I was just listening to Keep it Greasey. His son Dweezl is touring Zappa plays Zappa. should be a great show. Never hear Frank on the radio either.
Zappa is not even close to being underrated or forgotten.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Was Golden Earring under rated? I have always loved the song Radar Love and bought the album Cut in 1982 and think it is a very strong release.

Traffic was not underratred but not pushed enough in the public. Great musicians and songs that critics and other musicians appreciated, but they were a little too sophisticated for mainstream radio in most cases imo.

Blue Oyster Cult is underrated. Darhma is a great player and the band has some good tunes, but most people only know those two songs.

I remember a band called Angel City out of Australia. They had a great song called face the day, but never really took hold with the public as far as I know.

April Wine was a canadian band that put out a pretty decent catalog of material, and really hit their stride with Harder Faster.

Another Canadian I think was Pat Travers. Great player who focused on heavy blues type of material like Crash and Burn and his famous Boom Boom; out go the lights.

I think Pat Benetar is under rated. She was very successful with her first two or three albums but people do not seem to take her too seriously. Listen to Hell is for Children; awesome tune.
Page 1 of 2