The bands and artists which have really influenced the way you play and made you grow as a guitarist?
Gunna have to be Children Of Bodom and Unearth
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Dream Theater for shredding and theory.
Symphony X for tapping and pinch harmonics.
Tool for theory.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
metallica for rhythm and lead.
megadeth for better rhythm and better lead.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
metallica for rhythm and lead.
megadeth for better rhythm and better lead.

Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Dream Floyd

metallica was what got me into guitar, and i practiced their shit for 3-4 hours a day for the first year i played, and it whipped me into pretty good shape.

then when i realized hammett's guitar solos were good but not quite innovative, i turned to marty friedman-era megadeth and haven't looked back.

that's, more or less, what i'm doing.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
I would say Muse, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, and a bit of the Beatles. Muse influenced me to learn a bit of piano, and Radiohead convinced me to be willing to try out any instrument you can. As for Pink Floyd and the Beatles...i'm not sure how exactly their influencing me, but they are.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Ozzy Osbourne, Elvis Presely, Chet Atkins, Queen, and 70s Quiet Riot really influenced my musical direction, as well as guitar playing.
RHCP first of all then a whole lot of rock from the early 2000s such as POD and Puddle of Mudd but now its Metallica and ACDC
In Flames
Van Halen
Joe Satriani
Jason Becker
Jeff Loomis
(lots of J's :P )

oh god, i can't think of more off the top of my head.
meh, it'll do :P
When I first started playing, it was stuff like Thrice, Billy Talent, Thursday, and a lot of other alt. rock/post-hardcore/metalcore/emo stuff.

Now...

Pain of Salvation
Nevermore
Ephel Duath
unexpecT
Video game music (Yasunori Mitsuda, Nobuo Uematsu)
Meshuggah
Between the Buried and Me
Opeth
Porcupine Tree
Symphony X
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Dec 27, 2009,
im influenced alot by eric clapton, jeff healey, stevie ray vaughan, jimi hendrix and eric johnson. eric johnson i think has changed my playing the most. before i listened to him, i was pretty much just another "stevie clone". im glad im not anymore.
phil spector, bach, 13th floor elevators, chopin,
--------------------------------------------------------
Probably BTBAM, ISIS, SGM, TOOL and a lot of thrash bands I use to be into a lot
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Im a singer songwriter as well as a guitarist. I'd say lead wise, I think I got a lot of influence and bluesy rock melodicism from dudes like Slash, though I never intentionally set out to be like anyone, just after my own musical voice from the start. But many times I have heard note choice similarities, and a lot of what he'd play sounds like something Id do. I like a lot of guitarists but I never wanted to sound like anyone, I just appreciated them for what they did.

Im more a feel guy than a technical one.
For the first 6 years or so it was your basic Page, Hendrix, Beck, etc...but for the last 30 years it's been one player, and really the only guitarist I still listen too...

John Mclaughlin

Hearing him for the first time changed my life as a musician forever. The benchmark was completely moved. And while I run into players here and there that spark my interest, I have yet to find someone who can sit next to almost any virtuoso in any genre and play so well. Bereli Largene comes close at times but is no where near as consistent.
Chronologically,

Mick Mars - Mötley Crüe
Hetfield/Hammett - Metallica
Ian/Spitz - Anthrax
Cavestany/Pepa - Death Angel
Alex Skolnick - Testament
Yngwie Malmsteen
Steve Vai
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Eddie Van Halen
Jerry Cantrell - AIC
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page - Led Zeppelin
Dean DeLeo - STP
Hanneman/King - Slayer
Mustaine/Poland/Friedman - Megadeth
Rhoads/Lee/Wylde/Iommi - Ozzy
Darrell Abbott
Chris Broderick - Megadeth

Way too much metal, I know.
I seem to get into a band or guitarist and shut everything else out until I get bored. Not sure why I've always been that way.
Pantera
AiC
Nirvana. i know. but hey if it wasn't for nirvana i would've never picked up a guitar.
Sorry to crash the party guys, but this is not discussing techniques. If you want to talk about your favouritist bands, go to the music forums.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud