Poll: Which option should I do?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which option should I do?
Option 1
5 63%
Option 2
3 38%
Option 3
0 0%
Voters: 8.
Ok, I have been playing for about months on a squire strat and a crappy fender 15w frontman amp. I bought a pocket pod for jamming with headphones which I like though I have mediocre headphones.

I got a LTD mh-401 for Christmas and have some other money left over that I want to spend on some other gear. I was thinking of 1 of 3 options.

Option 1, would be to get rid if my pocket pod and get a vypyr 30w amp.

Option 2, would be to get rid of my other guitar and get some amp to play the pod through (no idea which one, maybe the vox ac4?).

Option 3, ditch the other guitar, but a used RG421 or RG5ex1 from the local pawn shop (both are like 230 and in good shape) to play alternate tunings through and continue too jam through headphones on my pod.

To do any of these I will need to sell off either the other guitar or the pod.

What do you all think? Willing to go used.

I like to play Metal, mostly Metallica for now. Also, I would need a amp I can use for playing in my apartment. I am in the military and am away for training right now and living in a apartment with roomates. No need to play with a drummer anytime soon.
Last edited by sweetaw at Dec 27, 2009,
Option 1.... get ridof that frontman amp dude. I am trying to do the same. going for a 6505+ I think.

Dont get another guitar for different tunings, you're a beginner don't try to cram to much into that head too quick Like I did.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Last edited by DeadlyDevil1985 at Dec 27, 2009,
I say buy the vypyr.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Thanks for the quick reply's!

My only hesitation on doing that has been me seeing everyone saying that actives sound terrible on modeling amps. But maybe I wont be able to tell do to me sucking right now. Is it something that a newb like me would most like not even notice?

Also why is the vypyr a better option that running the pod through a non modeling amp? Thanks for the help by the way!
The AC4TV is pretty nice, but IMO a Fender Super Champ XD is better, and only $50 more. Selling your old gear would net you probably $50-75. So I say Option 2.
Stromberg Montreux
Schecter Hellraiser 7 String
Mesa Boogie "Son of Boogie" 100W Head
Mesa Boogie 112 Cab with a Celestion Vintage 30
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Death By Audio Fuzz War

Quote by nick11link
The AC4TV is pretty nice, but IMO a Fender Super Champ XD is better, and only $50 more. Selling your old gear would net you probably $50-75. So I say Option 2.

Well IMO, I hated the Super Champ. Don't know why but I didn't like the sound of it at all. My suggestion would be to get either a Vox AC4 or a Bugera V5. Option 2 as well.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Option 4: Sell Pocket POD, Frontman and Guitar - Buy even better amp
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

That sounds better.

If not, go for option 1.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by MatrixClaw

This. Otherwise, option 1.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Which amp should I be looking for then if I go for this option 4. I have a friend that is willing to give me his metal zone pedal to use as long as I want if that helps or changes anything.

Also can any one speak on my question about active pups and the vypyr.
God no, avoid the metal zone and any othe rpedal with metal in the name. I'm assuming you play metal?

If not what genres do you play and can you go used?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I like to play metallica mostly right now. Only really messing with a few songs trying to progress slowly, but yes I will be playing mostly metal. I have no problem going used and would probably prefer it so I could get the best amp for the cash.

Is the vox vt30 any better than the vypyr 30?
Open a savings account and start working toward a Blackstar mini half stack.

The VT30 works really well at low volumes. The Vypyr operates at two volumes: off and how does that little thing make all that noise? If your parents and neighbors don’t want to hear you rocking out, don’t get the Vypyr if you don’t want to play with headphones. The Vypyr does offer much better gain than the VT; the distortion on the VT doesn’t hold up in tunings below D.
Quote by JoePerry4life
God no, avoid the metal zone and any othe rpedal with metal in the name. I'm assuming you play metal?

If not what genres do you play and can you go used?

The MT-2 Metal Zone is the only exception to that, in my experience; but other pedals such as the ML-2 Metalcore just lack so much.
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM
migueltherocker: The retarded unicorn-fish of the sea

Quote by ShredHead396

Dude, that was just pure win, i laughed the entire way

first stack ^
Quote by jpnyc
Open a savings account and start working toward a Blackstar mini half stack.

The VT30 works really well at low volumes. The Vypyr operates at two volumes: off and how does that little thing make all that noise? If your parents and neighbors don’t want to hear you rocking out, don’t get the Vypyr if you don’t want to play with headphones. The Vypyr does offer much better gain than the VT; the distortion on the VT doesn’t hold up in tunings below D.

LOL..... I have had a savings account for like 15 years. Just because I am new to playing doesn't mean I am 12-16 years old. But that money is for things such as buying a house, feeding the wifes shopping obsession, buy the kid what he needs and the like. I would be able to swing a nicer more expensive set up in the next 6 months or so but it is hard to justify that kind of cash when quite frankly..... I suck!

I just need something for while I am stuck here at scenic san angelo texas for training. I guess the vypyr is out then because I have 3 roomates in my apartment and they really dont want to tune into my suckage 24/7/

I guess my dilemma comes down too, continue to jam on headphones and through shitty amp and wait to get something really good, or get a mediocre amp in the mean time and keep it for practice latter.

I got this money for christmas from in-laws and such so it is just sitting there wanting to be spent.