Everytime i try ot write a riff or something after i play it/write it down, i relize their are to many opens/mutes.. I do play modern heavy/death metal which involves alot of palm mutes, but i want to change it up with my bands songs, you know? Kind of like Born of Osiris i guess, adding some higher but not too high of notes and some nice kind of sounds.
Does anyone have some advice on what to learn or listen to that might help me come up with some killer but yet not all open/muted riffs?
I'm also not sure if this is the right area for this, so that advice will be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advanced.

~Ryan
try learnin some scales and chord progressions or you could try to play the same thing an octave higher in your guitar
you want to learn to write riffs? there's only one man you need to observe. dave mustaine.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
create a riff and use the octaves to make the notes higher
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
Too many open palm mutes? I used to have that problem I think. I just ignored it and eventually started doing thinks I like a little more. Give these bands a listen if you havent already: The Faceless, Necrophagist, Opeth. The are all some type of death metal but are very different bands. Maybe that will help. Also, try focus on song writing rather then riff writing.
Quote by OhioState
Too many open palm mutes? I used to have that problem I think. I just ignored it and eventually started doing thinks I like a little more. Give these bands a listen if you havent already: The Faceless, Necrophagist, Opeth. The are all some type of death metal but are very different bands. Maybe that will help. Also, try focus on song writing rather then riff writing.

Listen to all of them XD just born of osiris was on when i was writing this so yeah
and i try but again same problem but ill just keep to it, get better, and then try at it again.