so, I've got a choice to make now - I've found great (really, really great) deals on:
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
AND
1989 4010 JCM 800 1x12" combo

so - my questions are
1. Any other suggestions I should look at? Both amps are used and going for £450 in good condition, I wouldn't want to spend more than £600
2. which JCM 800 model is the 4010 and what is it like?
3. Which would get me better home usage tones?

I play a mixture of Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Classic Metal and a bit of fairly tame Modern Metal.
current gear is in my sig - the amp could also be boosted by a Marshall Guv'nor or Jackhammer pedal if necessary
Don't think I'm a Marshall fanboy - the pedals were a gift and those two amps just happen to look like they'd suit
The 4010 is a 50W one channel JCM800.

No matter which one you get, they both are ONE-channel amps, getting cleans might still be possible, but only without using much gain and rolling back your volume. You would really have to push both amps into metal.
And both are 50W IIRC, so they might be too loud for home useage, unless you are able to play them loud.

Probably better home usage amps are the Blackstar HT-5, Blackheart Little Giant, Jet City 20, Vox Night Train, Orange TT. You will need to push those ones into metal territory too with an OD.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
The 4010 is a 50W one channel JCM800.

No matter which one you get, they both are ONE-channel amps, getting cleans might still be possible, but only without using much gain and rolling back your volume. You would really have to push both amps into metal.
And both are 50W IIRC, so they might be too loud for home useage, unless you are able to play them loud.

Probably better home usage amps are the Blackstar HT-5, Blackheart Little Giant, Jet City 20, Vox Night Train, Orange TT. You will need to push those ones into metal territory too with an OD.

master volume - down???
and the 4010 has 2 inputs, so its ok for cleans. My home volume isn't too quiet... and I need a gigging amp as well as a normal one.
I mean if you really want to get power-tube saturation they might be very loud.

Yes, it has 2 inputs, don't expect some sort of Fender cleans from it though.

If you will do gigs, both the VM and JCM800 will be fine.

I think the VM would clean up better than the JCM though.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
master volume - down???
and the 4010 has 2 inputs, so its ok for cleans. My home volume isn't too quiet... and I need a gigging amp as well as a normal one.

No, guitar volume down for cleans. Even then though, the cleans on the 800 are pretty shit. And same with the Vintage Modern. The 800 combos sound like shit at low volumes in my experience. The Vintage Modern sounds a bit better at low volumes but still not that great. The 800 sounds better to my ears at higher volumes. And the 2 inputs aren't really for switching between clean and dirty unless your dirty tone has hardly any gain.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
No, guitar volume down for cleans. Even then though, the cleans on the 800 are pretty shit. And same with the Vintage Modern. The 800 combos sound like shit at low volumes in my experience. The Vintage Modern sounds a bit better at low volumes but still not that great. The 800 sounds better to my ears at higher volumes. And the 2 inputs aren't really for switching between clean and dirty unless your dirty tone has hardly any gain.

I'm not looking for glassy clean tones, I want a warm, just pre breakup clean for bluesy stuff. so do you think the VM would suit better?
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
I'm not looking for glassy clean tones, I want a warm, just pre breakup clean for bluesy stuff. so do you think the VM would suit better?

A JCM800 to me, is not warm at all. It's got a pretty bright clean tone and even with the gain around noon and your volume knob rolled back, it's still not that clean. It would be okay for cleans if you set it up for them but don't expect quick changes between the two. The Vintage Modern is slightly better in the cleans department IMO but still seriously lacking. And at gigging volumes, I feel the JCM800 is much better.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Consider the Splawn Quickrod as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr