So I'm thinking of getting MIM Fender Strat and putting Single Coil EMG's (Active ones) in it. I just wanted to know if they're any good. I usually play Fightstar, Biffy Clyro, 30 Seconds To Mars, Guns N Roses and Led Zeppelin.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Get a HSS strat.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
Get a HSS strat.

I don't wanna get a HSS, it doesn't look right to me lol.

Well I worked out that a MIM Strat is £350 plus the set of EMG's it would come to £550 which I don't think is too bad. I know I could get a RG for less but I don't like the feel of them. Can you suggest any guitars that could do what music I wanna do for less money?
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Dimarzio makes some nice single coils, i hear.
Paul Gilbert and Andy Timmons use singles in their guitars, i thought they were pretty versatile from the videos they posted in an interview.
Quote by heminder
Dimarzio makes some nice single coils, i hear.
Paul Gilbert and Andy Timmons use singles in their guitars, i thought they were pretty versatile from the videos they posted in an interview.

Yes they do, I always reccomend the 12 pole single coils by Dimarzio, you have to contact them and have them custom made, but they are well worth the money, a full set of em costs $300 3 of em prewired to a strat pickguard with pots and everything.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yes they do, I always reccomend the 12 pole single coils by Dimarzio, you have to contact them and have them custom made, but they are well worth the money, a full set of em costs $300 3 of em prewired to a strat pickguard with pots and everything.

:O

i did not know this
well Alex Westaway from Fightstar uses active single coils in his tele so it should do ok
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Your in the UK Right?

Go to www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

handwound, made in the UK, literally the best pickups i have ever used, and there are a large variety of pickups to choose from. I would recommend a calibrated set of Trilogy Suites, these have nice high output but can do vintage stuff too if you just roll down the volume, and you can order them prewired into a scratch plate of your choice, then its only a matter of switching out the scratch plate and soldering the socket!

If your in the UK, buy bareknuckle....... you wont regret it.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless
Your in the UK Right?

Go to www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

handwound, made in the UK, literally the best pickups i have ever used, and there are a large variety of pickups to choose from. I would recommend a calibrated set of Trilogy Suites, these have nice high output but can do vintage stuff too if you just roll down the volume, and you can order them prewired into a scratch plate of your choice, then its only a matter of switching out the scratch plate and soldering the socket!

This, or look at Carvin or Godin guitars, they should fit your bill.
Quote by Talentless

I respectfully disagree. I'm int he UK, I bought Bare Knuckle pickups... and they were terrible. As in worse than the stock pickups my crappy Rally (Chinese copy) LP had to begin with. I bought myself a set of Swineshead pickups instead and had a lovely time. However, Swineshead are on a break at the moment.

Anyway, OP, don't get the EMG singlecoils. EMG have actually done a pretty good job of making them sound like other noiseless singlecoil pickups but with the output of other active pickups - the problem with this is they sound like other noiseless singlecoil pickups with the output of other active pickups. Yes, EMG did what they set out to do - the problem is what they set out to do was a bollocks product that is useless to the vast majority of people. They have all the same problems that active pickups have with a tone that doesn't match the styles active pickups are used for. If you want a good singlecoil tone, you get good singlecoils. If you want the hard hitting output of active pickups, you're not going to want the chime of singlecoils. They're a pointless oxymoron of a pickup.

You want heavier tone out of a Strat but don't want full humbuckers? Get singlecoil-sized humbuckers. Hot Rails, Cool Rails, etc. Want Strat tone but with less noise? Get stacked singlecoils or some of those nice Lace Sensor pickups. Want singlecoil tone and low noise with high output for driving a suitable amp hard? Fender, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio and many more companies make a wide range of nosieless singlecoils with high output but which don't quite have the tone of humbuckers. There are options out there for every use - active singlecoils are pointless at best, and guitar-ruining at worst.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I respectfully disagree. I'm int he UK, I bought Bare Knuckle pickups... and they were terrible. As in worse than the stock pickups my crappy Rally (Chinese copy) LP had to begin with. I bought myself a set of Swineshead pickups instead and had a lovely time. However, Swineshead are on a break at the moment.

I can't actually see how this happened, I am a die hard supporter of BKP and use them in all my guitars and havent had a bad one yet, but im putting them into good guitars in the first place, I dunno maybe you got a bad set?

In general the pickups are amazing, got warpigs in my ibanez and the thick, complex, saturated tone i get from them is simply amazing.
My Gear

Stinnett M7 in the works
EMG singles go with Gilmour's sound.
Buy British. Irongear Jailhouse Rails £30 each and can be mixed with classic types at the mid or neck as you want.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Talentless
I dunno maybe you got a bad set?
It's not like they were broken or anything. They just sounded crap. I ordered a Rebel Yell bridge humbucker and a Stormy Monday neck humbucker and honestly I couldn't tell any difference between them and the stock pickups the shitty guitar had in the first place. I sold them on to a mate who was doing a Warmoth at the time (for the record, he liked the pickups more than I did though he ended up replacing them too) and bought a Swinehsead Warthog and Condor instead (back when they were just £35 a pop - not £100 each like they are now) and as I said, I've had a lovely time ever since. I make no bones about it - Bare Knuckle pickups are the most expensive pickups I've ever bought and they're also the most non-descript, lifeless pickups I've ever used too outside of the stock pickups in an awful low-end Ibanez I once had. That's the level they were, to me. The stock pickups in my LTD SA-2 (which are just the generic stock ESP pickups) were no worse than the Bare Knuckles - and those Bare Knuckles cost me over £200. Sod that.

As a result I've ticked them off my list of top-price pickups to bother with. Right now I stick with Seymour Duncan as my basic cheaper brand, Swineshead when I want something really top-quality and Juicy when I want some one-off special made. Between those three I've got every base covered and I've not had a bad experience with any of them 'cept the SD Jazz and JB set, which were merely average (and at least didn't cost anywhere near as much as a pair of BKP costs).
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Crizzle
well Alex Westaway from Fightstar uses active single coils in his tele so it should do ok

Yeah that's what I'm looking at really but the Strat I got can knock out some pretty heavy distortion so I think I'll stick with that. I'm look at a LTD Vipercause I love the sound of EMG's.

Quote by MrFlibble
It's not like they were broken or anything. They just sounded crap. I ordered a Rebel Yell bridge humbucker and a Stormy Monday neck humbucker and honestly I couldn't tell any difference between them and the stock pickups the shitty guitar had in the first place. I sold them on to a mate who was doing a Warmoth at the time (for the record, he liked the pickups more than I did though he ended up replacing them too) and bought a Swinehsead Warthog and Condor instead (back when they were just £35 a pop - not £100 each like they are now) and as I said, I've had a lovely time ever since. I make no bones about it - Bare Knuckle pickups are the most expensive pickups I've ever bought and they're also the most non-descript, lifeless pickups I've ever used too outside of the stock pickups in an awful low-end Ibanez I once had. That's the level they were, to me. The stock pickups in my LTD SA-2 (which are just the generic stock ESP pickups) were no worse than the Bare Knuckles - and those Bare Knuckles cost me over £200. Sod that.

As a result I've ticked them off my list of top-price pickups to bother with. Right now I stick with Seymour Duncan as my basic cheaper brand, Swineshead when I want something really top-quality and Juicy when I want some one-off special made. Between those three I've got every base covered and I've not had a bad experience with any of them 'cept the SD Jazz and JB set, which were merely average (and at least didn't cost anywhere near as much as a pair of BKP costs).

Each to their own i suppose, ive used a few different pickup brands myself, and ive found they are the best sounding pickups. I get complimented often for my tone....
My Gear

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by MrFlibble
They have all the same problems that active pickups have with a tone that doesn't match the styles active pickups are used for. If you want a good singlecoil tone, you get good singlecoils. If you want the hard hitting output of active pickups, you're not going to want the chime of singlecoils. They're a pointless oxymoron of a pickup.

I respectfully disagree. People choose actives for more than just output.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by Mo Jiggity
I respectfully disagree. People choose actives for more than just output.
The only other use they have on even the most boringly nerdy technical level is the wider frequency response that jazz players do so love. But that's only of use with a specific type of amp and is a use that clearly isn't what OP is intending nor is it something the majority of people on U-G will ever even remotely consider.

So no, in this context being a noiseless, high-output pickup is their only relevant use, both of which passive pickups can and will do better in this instance.
Quote by MrFlibble
The only other use they have on even the most boringly nerdy technical level is the wider frequency response that jazz players do so love. But that's only of use with a specific type of amp and is a use that clearly isn't what OP is intending nor is it something the majority of people on U-G will ever even remotely consider.

So no, in this context being a noiseless, high-output pickup is their only relevant use, both of which passive pickups can and will do better in this instance.

Not always, I would choose BKP over EMG's any day, but EMG's are not lifeless, so to speak, I've been able to pull more life out of my 81 81 set up than most people with EMG's. They do EQ a certain, and you have to get used to it, but so do passives.

But aside from that, I think the only reason TS was looking at EMG's was because he prolly heard that they are good pickups. But I still recommend the 12 pole single coil Dizmarizos over anything, they sound amazing, they almost act like a humbucker but sound exactly like a fender single coil.
The EMG single coils sound OK by themselves. With an 18V mod they sound a LOT better. I'm guessing the new S(A)X versions also sound similarly better, but I haven't tried them yet. The old versions were really helped in terms of versatility by having some of the preamp modules - SPC and EXG were the ones Gilmour used I believe. That setup is good for a huge variety of tones.

The EMG T set is also excellent, but probably not of use to the OP.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by MrFlibble

Not necessarily wider frequency response so much as flatter and more even, I'd say... there are tonal differences regardless.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by MrFlibble

Whilst I also do not understand the BKP love on these forums, I will however say that the BKPs that I've tried have generally been pretty solid, an acquaintance of mine has a set of unpotted Stormy Mondays w/ A4s in a '06 historic and I think they sound great. They're transparent and need to put in a good sounding guitar, but they're definitely at least as good as something like a set of Duncan Seth Lovers and compare pretty favorably to some other high end PAF winds like Wolfetones or RS Fralins.