Just got a MXR KFK 10-band EQ pedal and I've been fooling around with it for a little bit. I'm a novice so the bands are a little confusing to me. I'm running this with a tube screamer through a RG50TC. My question is, how should the setup go? Amp-tube-EQ-guitar or Amp-EQ-tube-guitar?

Also, any recommendations on how to set the EQ pedal? I mainly play prog metal and I'm currently trying to learn Godhead's lament from Opeth. Thanks.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Omen 6/AHB-1
Randall RG50TC
TS9/808 Plus Mod
MXR KFK 10-band EQ
Those your amp have a FX loop? Because if it does, put the EQ in the loop.
Peavey 3120
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet
Jackson RR5
Jackson DKMG
LTD EC-1000
TC Electronic Polytune
BOSS RV-5
BOSS DD-7
MXR 10-band EQ
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
BOSS NS-2
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
Depends on what you want to use it for. I have mine right after my guitar and before my distortion set with a mid boost and the bass pulled down to tighten up the low end before distortion then on my amp cut a bit of mids and boost the bass and treble. That setup works great for a good high gain metal sound.

If you put it in the fx loop then try something more like a V shape.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Dec 27, 2009,
Thanks for the responses guys but you may have to dumb it down for me as I don't quite understand some of your recommendations. Not sure if this amp has an FX loop, does anyone know?
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Omen 6/AHB-1
Randall RG50TC
TS9/808 Plus Mod
MXR KFK 10-band EQ
Do you see jacks that say SEND and RETURN? Use the SEND to go to the input of the EQ, and the RETURN to take the output.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thanks Raijouta, checked it out and it does have effects loop. However I may be short some cables I think. Can you try to explain how I would set up all of these pieces (with FX loop)?
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Omen 6/AHB-1
Randall RG50TC
TS9/808 Plus Mod
MXR KFK 10-band EQ
Quote by MegaD
Thanks for the responses guys but you may have to dumb it down for me as I don't quite understand some of your recommendations. Not sure if this amp has an FX loop, does anyone know?

Yeah, your amp has an fx loop which should be on the back with jacks labeled send and return.

what I was suggesting was something like Guitar>EQ>OD>Amp where on my eq (only seven bands) I have the lowest two 100hz at -7db and 200hz at -5db; the middle three 400hz at 4db, 800hz at 7db and 1.6khz at 4db; and the highest two 3.2khz at -3db and 6.4khz at-1hz. this gives it a funny flattened up-side-down V look. Hz being the frequency band and db being the amount of boost.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Quote by justinb904
Yeah, your amp has an fx loop which should be on the back with jacks labeled send and return.

what I was suggesting was something like Guitar>EQ>OD>Amp where on my eq (only seven bands) I have the lowest two 100hz at -7db and 200hz at -5db; the middle three 400hz at 4db, 800hz at 7db and 1.6khz at 4db; and the highest two 3.2khz at -3db and 6.4khz at-1hz. this gives it a funny flattened up-side-down V look. Hz being the frequency band and db being the amount of boost.

OK, so if I follow (I think I kind of do), cable goes from my guitar to input on EQ, patch cable from output on EQ to OD. This is where I get confused with effects loop. I only have one cable left (i may have to pick one up to use loop I guess) so I would have to go from OD to my amp input. If I can find another cable where would it go on effects loop? send or return? Does this take place of amp input? Sorry for all the questions but I have no clue what I'm doing. Thanks again.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Omen 6/AHB-1
Randall RG50TC
TS9/808 Plus Mod
MXR KFK 10-band EQ
Quote by MegaD
OK, so if I follow (I think I kind of do), cable goes from my guitar to input on EQ, patch cable from output on EQ to OD. This is where I get confused with effects loop. I only have one cable left (i may have to pick one up to use loop I guess) so I would have to go from OD to my amp input. If I can find another cable where would it go on effects loop? send or return? Does this take place of amp input? Sorry for all the questions but I have no clue what I'm doing. Thanks again.

If you [ut it right after your guitar you don't have to worry about the fx loop. If you want to use it in the fx loop then it would be:
guitar->od->amp input
then
amp send->eq->amp return