So, I got a Schecter C1 Exotic Star (string through body) for Christmas (yay!) and I want to put red devil strings on it. Is there anyway to save the stock strings that were on it in the first place? I don't want to ruin good strings, if there is no reason to.

I tried to completely lower the tuners to release tension on the strings, and put it out, but its still tight in the tuner. I thought you guys would know what to do about this.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
You should be able to pull the strings out of the tuners after loosening them completely.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
I could be equipped with locking tuners...
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
I could be equipped with locking tuners...

this most likely...why do u want to save them?
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
I don't know I don't want to break something thats already working fine.

Would Grover tuners all be locking? I looked at my guitars specs on a couple sites, and it just says they're grover tuners.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Oh right, grover makes locking tuners. I for some reason kept thinking of acoustic tuners which are rarely ever locking if I remember correctly. I really don't know much about locking tuners >_>

But as a solution, its usually not a great idea to reuse strings like that. The chance of them breaking at the point where you have them in the tuner is high. Its like bending a wire at the same place, eventually it snaps. Just a few bends makes it a lot more likely to break.

IMO, the best thing to do would be to just leave the strings you have on for a while longer and just switch them out with your new ones when those are over with.
why. a good set of strings should last you a while and new ones are like 5-10 bucks? might as well play with what sounds good or your arent going to be happy.
Usually stock strings are garbage so you might as well throw them out right off the bat. Not only that, but they could have already been on your guitar an extended period of time depending on when it was manufactured. Don't be cheap, give your new guitar what it deserves.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
Schecter does use good stock strings, but they’ve already been on the guitar for weeks or months and need replacing anyway.
Oh yeah, you got it for christmas? Just shove those new strings on it. Don't even worry about it. Pretty soon strings are just going to be an expense every so many months. Guitar strings are pretty cheap anyways.
Quote by Chaos Nil
Oh yeah, you got it for christmas? Just shove those new strings on it. Don't even worry about it. Pretty soon strings are just going to be an expense every so many months. Guitar strings are pretty cheap anyways.

Will do. Should I do it myself? or bring it in my local (and only) luthier to do it? I think i want the action lowered a bit as well.

What would I do for an acoustic? I don't know if it has locking tuners on it. I want to replace the stock strings (excpet for the G) with higher gauge *black* ones. Just do as said before and loosen til they come out? I want to set up my acoustic in Drop C though as well, so should I get my luthier to switch strings? or what?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
Will do. Should I do it myself? or bring it in my local (and only) luthier to do it? I think i want the action lowered a bit as well.

What would I do for an acoustic? I don't know if it has locking tuners on it. I want to replace the stock strings (excpet for the G) with higher gauge *black* ones. Just do as said before and loosen til they come out? I want to set up my acoustic in Drop C though as well, so should I get my luthier to switch strings? or what?

if youve never done it before and dont feel like you could do it yourself then take it to someone to do it for you. there are plenty of things on this site and other sites that show you what you need to do. it's not hard, but if you havent done it before its easy to make your guitar feel terrible.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
if youve never done it before and dont feel like you could do it yourself then take it to someone to do it for you. there are plenty of things on this site and other sites that show you what you need to do. it's not hard, but if you havent done it before its easy to make your guitar feel terrible.

That, and I dont want to scratch it or anything. I got it boxing day. (Dec. 26)
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
That, and I dont want to scratch it or anything. I got it boxing day. (Dec. 26)

scratches only add character. if youre not comofrtable id take it to someone who can do it and do it right. maybe ask them to show you how... if they are a nice enough person and arent swamped theyll probably show you if you actually show interest. they migh tnot cause then they would loose business haha
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by AWACS

I used a lot of stuff when it came to changing my strings for the first time. In the end, I have found that the link in my sig actually has one of the best explanations of how to resting a guitar. I'd refer to it once in a while for stuff too.

Not sure the tension needed for Drop C... might need heavier strings than what would be normal. Either way, changing the strings is easy IMO and something everyone should know how to do, like change the oil on a car.
Quote by Chaos Nil
Oh right, grover makes locking tuners. I for some reason kept thinking of acoustic tuners which are rarely ever locking if I remember correctly. I really don't know much about locking tuners >_>

But as a solution, its usually not a great idea to reuse strings like that. The chance of them breaking at the point where you have them in the tuner is high. Its like bending a wire at the same place, eventually it snaps. Just a few bends makes it a lot more likely to break.

IMO, the best thing to do would be to just leave the strings you have on for a while longer and just switch them out with your new ones when those are over with.

Maybe he just wants to roll them up and save them as memories of "the good old days" years from now when he gives that guitar to his grandchild.
take your guitar to a tech to get the strings changed? lol, it really isn't hard and it is something you need to learn how to do. just google "how to change electric guitar strings", I believe in you.
I'd get someone to sort out the action for you, and if you ask nicely enough there's no reason why he wouldn't show you how to restring it.
you should not have to 'break' old strings to remove them, that's ridiculous.

either read the manual that came with the guitar if you have it, or look it up on google.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I don't see why you'd want to save old strings. I f your a bass player maybe because bass strings are expensive an are probably easier to put back on a tuner.

Guitar strings are cheap though, so it isn't worth the trouble. Also, once you take the strings of, they will be all curled up where they used to be wrapped around the tuner. This would make them a real bitch to put back on.
Quote by Crohny
scratches only add character.

No, scratches only kill re-sale value. Vintage guitars with a few scratches have character, but not because someone accidentally bumped their guitar into their desk...

...Sorry, rant over.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
No, scratches only kill re-sale value. Vintage guitars with a few scratches have character, but not because someone accidentally bumped their guitar into their desk...

...Sorry, rant over.

meh. Guitars are made to be played. I'll be damned if I'm going to own an instrument and spend my time an energy worrying like a mother hen as to whether it gets a scratch or ding.
Haha, I try my best to keep scratches and dents away from my guitars. Of course, things happen, but whatever. Its a guitar I planned to be able to pass on, not resell ^_^

But yeah, take good care of your guitar. You (probably) wouldn't drop a baby and just say it adds character.