up tuned two notes...
instead of E A D G B E, its
F# B E A C F#

I find it really good for stuff like AC/DC and Black Sabbath.

Discuss.
uptuning should cause your strings to break and can possibly lead to other problems..if you want to "uptune" use a capo
Like David Gilmour?

Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Vox VT15
Alvarez Acoustic
Dunlop Jazz III Picks
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Take your pants off and swing your wiener around in circles.
Quote by Zosolin
uptuning should cause your strings to break and can possibly lead to other problems..if you want to "uptune" use a capo

nothing happened to my guitar when I did it
over time it can...its not a good idea, trust me..that's what capos are for
Like David Gilmour?

Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Vox VT15
Alvarez Acoustic
Dunlop Jazz III Picks
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Take your pants off and swing your wiener around in circles.
Quote by Zosolin
over time it can...its not a good idea, trust me..that's what capos are for

HEY... that vox amp u hav... would that be a good amp for like Classic Rock/Hard Rock?
Up tuning is retarded. Not only does it have the ability (and, really, it's more of a likelihood with tuning up that much) to break your strings, but it's entirely useless when you consider that doing this is the equivalent to taking whatever you're playing with this tuning and moving it up two frets in a normal tuning. When you tune down, it gives you NEW notes to work with that you couldn't get before. On the other hand, tuning up takes away notes and does nothing to make playing easier!

You see what I mean?
Quote by Eag1e
Up tuning is retarded. <deleted stuff that's actually true>

You see what I mean?

no it's not, tuning up lets me have open E.

do you see what i mean?

but in this case, tuning a whole step up for the guitar is pretty stupid. capo is win for that situation.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Quote by about
no it's not, tuning up lets me have open E.

do you see what i mean?

Or you could just tune a couple strings down and then use a capo.

Up tuning is useless. Capos FTW.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Well up tubing may take away some notes but it also gives you higher pitched notes that you didn't have before...
But I'm still not for the whole up-tuning thing though I only down tune when needed.
And also up-tuning won't do you any good for the bands you mentioned, tony iommi normally down-tuned to c-standard while angus and malcom pretty much always went down a 1/2 step.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Johnny Marr?
Now get into the thing you are reading this for, Johnny's playing style. Keep in mind however that Johnny almost always tunes his guitar up. Johnny was notorious for breaking strings live and in the studio. Meaning he used light gauge strings to avoid snapping whenever possible. I however recommend buying and using a capo. His most used tuning is a step-up. (Used in songs such as "How Soon Is Now", "Reel Around The Fountain", and "This Charming Man".)

I suppose it gives him more of that light jangly tone.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by B.Renegades
up tuned two notes...
instead of E A D G B E, its
F# B E A C F#

I find it really good for stuff like AC/DC and Black Sabbath.

Discuss.

How can it possibly be "good" for those bands - their stuff is mainly in standard, but if you tune up you're not achieving anything at all other than making things a little more fiddly.

For example, Paranoid's main riff is built around an E chord - that's an absolute. If you retune then you still need to play that E chord, it's just in a different place.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Junior#1
Or you could just tune a couple strings down and then use a capo.

Up tuning is useless. Capos FTW.

I just read this.

i thought about it, it would work, but if you drop tuned to get open E then you need to tune 4 strings instead of 3.
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Quote by about
I just read this.

i thought about it, it would work, but if you drop tuned to get open E then you need to tune 4 strings instead of 3.

So? Like it's so hard to tune 4 strings. An extra 10 seconds. Wow.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Quote by about
I just read this.

But, if you up tuned to get open E then you might need to spend a half an hour getting new strings and re-stringing AND tuning every string.

So... I think the ten seconds to tune the fourth string is worth it.
i could be wrong, but i'm starting to think that both of you don't understand the idea of open E.

also, i don't believe you know the limits of your own guitar if you've ever tuned it (to open E, i'm sure you know how to actually tune your guitar). if it snaps from going up a whole step, it was time to change strings anyway.

either way, i don't need to get into silly debates about what is "useless" or not. if you aren't confident in your own tuning abilities, i don't need to bother myself with your preferences.
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Oh lord...Stop this nonsense. Realize that up tuning puts a LOT more tension on your guitar's neck. So, not only are you breaking strings sooner, you're potentially snapping your guitar's neck. Just stop before you do too much damage...
Pros -
- added Higher notes
- tighter strings (personal taste)
- rounder sound

Cons -
- loss of lower notes
- tighter strings
-possible future damage to guitar
- possible string breakage
^ The cons FAR outweigh the pros. Honestly, when are you ACTUALLY going to use notes that are that high on the fretboard often enough that you have to up tune? Get a 24 fret guitar and stop breaking the one you own now...
Quote by about
i could be wrong, but i'm starting to think that both of you don't understand the idea of open E.

We know what open E is (E B E G# B E) and we are just saying that up tuning is bad for your guitar. Tightening the strings puts more tension on the tuning pegs and headstock which in turn puts more tension on the neck. Over time the damage can be permanent. So ask yourself what is better: down tuning, using a capo, and spending an extra 10 seconds? Or up tuning and possibly having to spend a couple hundred dollars to replace or repair your guitar?
Quote by Geldin
I though AC/DC tuned a half step down
and sabbath tuned two steps down...

how could you mimic their playing??

I am toughly confused
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by The.new.guy
^ The cons FAR outweigh the pros. Honestly, when are you ACTUALLY going to use notes that are that high on the fretboard often enough that you have to up tune? Get a 24 fret guitar and stop breaking the one you own now...

I uptune to G standard on a 24 fret guitar and use notes above the 21st fret in such tuning all of the time. I know this isn't for everyone but there are proper ramifications for such an operation as this :P Thinner strings and lower actions allow tighter strings and higher tunings to not be trouble.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I uptune to G standard on a 24 fret guitar and use notes above the 21st fret in such tuning all of the time. I know this isn't for everyone but there are proper ramifications for such an operation as this :P Thinner strings and lower actions allow tighter strings and higher tunings to not be trouble.
Well whatever floats your boat. But don't come crying to us if your neck twists and bends.
Quote by Geldin
Quote by Junior#1
Well whatever floats your boat. But don't come crying to us if your neck twists and bends.

I take care of my guitars, I should warn that Uptuning is not for those who have no idea what they are doing.
Adjusting your guitar for such will be needed.
Okay this is dumb, use a capo.
Your gonna break your string and the neck will eventually bend, all depending on your string gauge.
I understand what you guys are saying, but is it okay to tune a little bit up if you were to learn a song that used that tuning? Cause I think Erik Mongrain's airtap uses a higher tuning and I'd like to learn that eventually...plus I think andy mckee might tune up some of the strings on some of his songs. I don't have much experiance with higher tunings but I understand the concept of the neck bending and everything
Quote by The.new.guy
Both wrong. Both bands generally tuned to standard if I'm not mistaken.

Sabbath were standard for their first two albums and C# afterward.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I have light tops, heavy bottoms (10-52) on my guitar so yeah tuning past like drop C is pretty much a no go...
I'm confounded by both parties in this discussion.

Basically, drop tuning is okay because it doesn't have as much tension on the strings, tuning heads, and neck, but UP tuning is bad because it adds tension...are we assuming that E standard (EADGBe) is the highest tuning possible on a guitar? I'm all for progressive stuff, and trying things that haven't been done before, so why should E standard be the highest tuning a guitar can achieve?

This makes me want to build a guitar with a heavier duty truss rod, just to play in an up-tuned tuning.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

the sum of the forces all work the same when an object is in equilibrium (see newtons laws).

so by the laws of physics, drop tuning does the same "damage" to your guitar as up tuning, but you may notice there isn't damage done by down tuning, or up tuning for that matter.
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Quote by The.new.guy
Both wrong. Both bands generally tuned to standard if I'm not mistaken.

Iommi could not play in standard, remember

he had his tips snipped

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_tuning_(guitar)
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.