Well, for Christmas I acquired a new Tascam 2488neo.

However... I happen to have NO means of listening to what I record with it. I also live in a dorm and a small room whenever I'm at home... Therefore, I'm looking at headphones for monitoring/mixing with.

I don't know much (read: any) technical meanings basically... But these are the headphones I'm looking at:

Sony MDR-V900HD
Sony MDR-7509HD
Audio-Technica ATH-A900
AKR K240 MKII
Sennheiser HD 380

I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser (mostly because I hear them recommended a lot and I know Sony is usually overpriced).. But I thought I'd come get some opinions before I spend so much money.

So please.. Give me some advice. :]
Personal opinion ... there are no headphones made with enough bass response to do mixing with ... you need a good set of monitor speakers with flat response. IIRC MAudio has a good small set in the 100-150 range. You can of course spend lots more and there are lots of good speakers ... headphones aren't for mixing in my opinion.
I personally would suggest a set of Powered KRK Rokit G2 monitors over any headphones but if you MUST have headphones I suggest either the Senn HD280 Pros or better yet, the Grado Labs SR80s.

Grados have a very flat response however they are open and so the sound leaks to any condenser mics for tracking. That's where the Senn 280s come in handy.

Lastly, look over this:
Blue Bear Sound - "Whad'ya Mean I Can't Mix With Headphones????"

Although a set of monitors is ideal, monitors under $250 for a pair are not worth spending money on IMO.
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 27, 2009,
Quote by moody07747
I personally would suggest a set of Powered KRK Rokit G2 monitors over any headphones but if you MUST have headphones I suggest either the Senn HD280 Pros or better yet, the Grado Labs SR80s.

Grados have a very flat response however they are open and so the sound leaks to any condenser mics for tracking. That's where the Senn 280s come in handy.

Lastly, look over this:
Blue Bear Sound - "Whad'ya Mean I Can't Mix With Headphones????"

Although a set of monitors is ideal, monitors under $250 for a pair are not worth spending money on IMO.

Thanks for the article link. I never thought about headphones as being separate rooms, but it all makes sense.

But if it's so bad to use headphones, how come so many people (and, I'm talking about actual studio workers) do it?

Also.. In my dorm I have an area of about 5x4 feet for personal space, and at my house I have a room that's something like 11x9 feet-ish.... Do you think this is enough room for 2 monitor speakers, and maybe a sub (depending if I need one)?

If so.. Can you recommend some good, lower-priced monitors? I took a quick look and the Mackie MR5 looks nice. But I really dunno.
both the KRK and Mackie monitors are very nice.
I am also one of those people that mix with headphones, Why?...because I don't have the cash for monitors yet LOL

I think some studio engineers just know how things are supposed to sound with one set of headphones so they continue to use them. A good studio will have both a good set of headphones and monitors.

As for if monitors in a small space, I would personally go with headphones at that point as monitors work best when spaced out well. But once again, plan to still get monitors for when you move out of the dorm and setup a studio in your own room.
Check out BeyerDynamic DT770s, they are definately one of the best headphones for monitoring and have incredible bass response. Headphones will never be a proper substitute for good monitors, but like moody07747 said, monitors need a decent room. Headphones may not have the same frequency response or flat uncoloured sound that monitors do, but you are eliminating any acoustic problems your room may have by using them. I mix on DT770s at the moment, purely because my room is shit.
I guess at this point, the question becomes how much room do monitors need to be effective?

My dorm (where most of my mixing/editing is going to be done for a couple months) is (according to the floor plans on the website) 20'1" x 11'2" (a rectangle).. Which I imagine could mess with acoustics... But it also gives me a great deal of room if I get a long enough cord for the monitors, and ask my roommate if he minds my monitors being spread throughout the room.

My room at my house, on the other hand... Is relatively square.. But also a lot smaller. lol

As far as headphones... I was looking at the BeyerDynamics DT770s, but a couple of the reviews made them sound like a risk... And for that much money I'm not up for a bigger risk than normal.

As always, thanks for your input so far, and keep it coming. :]
If you can get your hands on some SURE headphones then you will not be dissapointed. And to the above, I actually think that Professional headphones have more bass than any kind of monitor system, and sound much clearer, and don't have to rely on the acoustics of your room.
for headphones the senheisser HD25II are probaly one of the best monitoring/mixing headphones . if you are just listening to music get the grados i would stay away from them for mixing
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by Garb
My room at my house, on the other hand... Is relatively square.. But also a lot smaller. lol

Small and square are two of the worst things for room acoustics. You want a relatively large room, and to have odd sized length/width/height, else the room's response will be skewed, especially in the bass frequencies.

I can't remember the physics of it exactly (should have paid more attention in my acoustics lectures ), so correct me if I'm wrong, but square rooms create resonances that exaggerate certain frequencies - not good.

Have a read of: http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html#part2

I know this doesn't really help with your question, but I thought these things are good to know
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by loonyguitarist
Small and square are two of the worst things for room acoustics. You want a relatively large room, and to have odd sized length/width/height, else the room's response will be skewed, especially in the bass frequencies.

I can't remember the physics of it exactly (should have paid more attention in my acoustics lectures ), so correct me if I'm wrong, but square rooms create resonances that exaggerate certain frequencies - not good.

Have a read of: http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html#part2

I know this doesn't really help with your question, but I thought these things are good to know

Thanks a ton. :]
That really really helped out.

Since same dimensions and dimensions that are multiples are the worst... I'm sort of out of luck aren't I?
I don't really have an option other than headphones because of acoustics... But if headphones are really that bad... Dang. :[
I really have no other option though.. no one I know really has any better rooms acoustically.

So... I guess back to my original post? lol
if you get a set of senheisser hd25s you will be set
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Yeah, I dunno what to recommend really, because I'm in a similar situation myself.

The acoustics in my room suck, and I can't do anything about it because I'm renting a student house (they don't even allow blu-tack...), but I'm looking at getting some KRK G2 RP5s anyway, because they'll hopefully last me until I have a room I can treat properly. I'll also be using them for general purpose speakers, with only a bit of mixing just yet.

To be honest, I think a lot of people don't bother treating their rooms much, and they can still get good results, probably in part by listening on a few different systems in a few different rooms.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.