I'm going to start aikido on Tuesday, so I figured I'd see what practitioners of the traditional grappling arts there are on UG. Who here is a student of Judo, Aikido, jujutsu, aikijujutsu, hapkido, sumo, etc.? Is there a community for grapplers? If not, should we start one?

Sign in here if you like hitting people with the planet instead of your fist.
Death to Ovation haters!
I don't study the martial arts per se, but I'm a pretty huge guy, so if I get into a fight I'll probably try to start with a grab.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Im in to both. Im a Karate practitioner, and because its gotten so bad this needs saying, at a pretty hardcore school. I also train brazilian jiujitsu and judo.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
i like hitting people with plants but i dont do any of those forms or karate

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
I'm starting Brazilian Jujitsu in January. I'm also really into folk, freestyle, and greco wrestling, if that counts.
Member of the "On the Right Track" club. PM Michelangelo193 or raise_the_dead to see if they approve of your "On the Right Track"-ness
I am Spartikus

Tremulous name: <CD>Mustang?
Last edited by bassmaniac101 at Dec 27, 2009,
I have a first-degree black belt in Hapkido. I didn't know Hapkido was a grappling art though?
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Dec 27, 2009,
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
I'm have a first-degree black belt in Hapkido. I didn't know Hapkido was a grappling art though?

I just wanted to share with you that i have a 2nd degree black racist belt in Humpkido...

Be careful with me....
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
I have a first-degree black belt in Hapkido. I didn't know Hapkido was a grappling art though?

Hapkido is based on Daito-ryu aikijujutsu, right? That's definitely a grapling art. And Hapkido is full of locks and throws, no?
Death to Ovation haters!
Folk-Style wrestling although I occasionally do a little freestyle and Greco

And this is grappling, not MMA. Get it right. ^
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
Hmm... seems the thread has been taken over by a swimming pool filled with sperm.

Quote by iantheman
Whenever I run out of tissues, I get worried that I'll be caught hopping through the hallway with my pants around my knees, a dying erection, and a fist full of semen.
Quote by col50
there is an MMA thread somewhere. SEARCHBAR

This thread is about traditional martial arts, not MMA. Had you taken the time to read my thread, you would have realized that.
Death to Ovation haters!
I know BJJ, Judo, and Sambo.
Quote by Bamitchell
So you have possible wang cancer and your on drugs? PWNT.

"Money Can't Buy Life" - Bob Marley
Quote by PatchworkMan
This thread is about traditional martial arts, not MMA. Had you taken the time to read my thread, you would have realized that.

Traditional martial arts are also a part of Mixed Martial Arts
I leik music
Quote by col50
Traditional martial arts are also a part of Mixed Martial Arts

Of course they are. Otherwise there would be nothing to mix. But this is not an MMA thread.
Death to Ovation haters!
I've never gone to formal classes, but I enjoy jiu-jitsu a lot.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I learn Aikido mate.
As well as Shotokan Karate (2nd Dan black belt), and Kyokushin Karate (1st Dan black belt). I have learnt Taekwondo (1st Dan black belt), Judo (4th kyu, blue belt) and Iaido (1st Dan black belt).

I'm orange belt in aikido.
it frustrates me because I'm used to using strength, but aikido is about being as soft and relaxed as you possibly can. People say it's not useful on the streets. It is, but about the state of mind.

It's great fun and the most physically demanding art I've done before.
You might enjoy it.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Quote by PatchworkMan
Hapkido is based on Daito-ryu aikijujutsu, right? That's definitely a grapling art. And Hapkido is full of locks and throws, no?

Oh, right. What was I thinking
That's cool. I've heard a lot of people who practice multiple martial arts say they're frustrated by the differences by the relaxed and circular nature of aikido versus the linear strength of other arts. This will be the first foray into the martial arts for me, so hopefully not having a lot to unlearn will make it a little easier for me.
Death to Ovation haters!
Last edited by PatchworkMan at Dec 27, 2009,
I've felt that same kind of frustration with Hapkido. I've been practicing since I was a little kid, and I'm so used to the technical, flowing way of viewing fighting that I could easily see myself being simply overpowered by someone if I were in a fight. Can any of you offer advice to help me be more balanced in terms of smooth/flowing vs brute linear power? I don't have the time nowadays to formally enroll in martial arts classes, so general advice would probably work out better for me.
Quote by PatchworkMan
I'm going to start aikido on Tuesday, so I figured I'd see what practitioners of the traditional grappling arts there are on UG. Who here is a student of Judo, Aikido, jujutsu, aikijujutsu, hapkido, sumo, etc.? Is there a community for grapplers? If not, should we start one?

Sign in here if you like hitting people with the planet instead of your fist.

I have found as I have grown older it has become much more difficult to move the planet.
However before my knees hips and spine betrayed me I was fairly proficient at Judo.
I was fairly decent at Nage no Kata (Throws) and excelled at Randori (Basically free form sparring where kicks and punches are included. Randori is basically the model that started MMA)
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Last edited by Jackal58 at Dec 27, 2009,
I believe Randori exists in Jujutsu as well. It allows the practitioner to explore their own creativity. It is disallowed in competitive matches though.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I'm looking to start Judo, can anyone explain it a little to me about what it involves?
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
Quote by McGelie
I'm looking to start Judo, can anyone explain it a little to me about what it involves?

I'm no expert, but I can tell you that judo is a grappling art in which the primary objective is to get your opponent to the ground without being taken down yourself. It's not as soft or as circular as aikido, but still pretty gentle and flowing as contact martial arts go. Training in judo is sometimes more physical and painful than in the striking arts, because so much more time is spent working in contact with a partner.
Death to Ovation haters!