Can someone explain what a four way close is? I know it has something to do with jazz, pianos and trumpets but not much more.
Edit: I don't know much more about the four way close then the above. Just saying this to explain what I meant better.
Last edited by Zombiechao at Dec 27, 2009,
^ where did you come across this term?

btw, from what I can see, It seems to be a part writing style utilizing 4 voices. My guess is that the "close" refers to a close voicing..... as opposed to an open voicing.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to know this term? The reason I ask is because I want to suggest that you learn terms at a time when they are relevant to you, rather than just learning random terms for the sake of it. I mean you could do that if you want, but I believe you'll retain the information better if your in a position to utilize it and gain experience with it in context.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 27, 2009,
Google shows nothing.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
I first read about it in a book at my library. There was less then one page on it.
It could, mean a resolve utilising four different instruments/parts.. or as said above it could refer to a 'closed chord' Where there is not more than an octave between the tenor and soprano parts...

although, you might have to give us a little more context into where you heard the term? Was it on a sheet of music? Did a teacher say it? Was it in MT?

EDIT:
Found it. The other person and I were right about it being a 'closed chord'
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=m_i4pt-9_1wC&pg=PA13&lpg=PA13&dq=four+way+close+voicing&source=bl&ots=UTSF1T8KCU&sig=y2LGR7xxx80yXt7OSeuiJ0FYoOg&hl=en&ei=Ehc4S5jRCYHo7AOy3KzIBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CA4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=four%20way%20close%20voicing&f=false
Last edited by mdwallin at Dec 27, 2009,
Quote by Zombiechao
I first read about it in a book at my library. There was less then one page on it.

^ That's a good reason to not worry about it IMO.

There are literally thousands of music terms. My suggestion again is to focus on them at at a time that you are able to see them in context, rather than just randomly learning them.

In other words, if your learning about part writing & arranging...... learning about the various styles like this would be appropriate.... and useful.

Quote by mdwallin

There ya go..... good find

I have to say, I've never heard it called that before (though it obviously is). I believe my prof's referred to that as a "block chord".
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 27, 2009,