do you know what amp did he use before the peavey 5150?? i think its a marshall jcm 800 but i dont know
I was a stock Marshall Plexi, not sure if 50W or 100W, attentuated by a Variac, run into a dummy load box, then into a solid state poweramp.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
OK, so it was a 100W SLP.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
The main one was a '68 100w Super Lead. Completely stock (other than many OT replacements due to the stress he put on it), contrary to many rumors. There's a lot more going on than just that but his early tone is unmistakably a cranked Super Lead.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
He actually was never much of a player of the Peavey 5150. My friend went to one of his recent live shows and sneaked backstage to find his trusty old Marshalls.

EDIT: thing is, EVH is very secretive about his gear...he doesn't want anyone trying to copy his tone.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by HellBoy9393
He actually was never much of a player of the Peavey 5150. My friend went to one of his recent live shows and sneaked backstage to find his trusty old Marshalls.

EDIT: thing is, EVH is very secretive about his gear...he doesn't want anyone trying to copy his tone.

Ive heard the same thing. The 5150 can get pretty good VH tones though if set right
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by colin617
Marshall Superlead
Soldano SLO

I always forget about the SLO. I tend to disregard the late 80s/90s Van Halen wise though.

Quote by HellBoy9393

When I saw VH on the reunion tour, his tone was definitely the Soldano. There was too much gain for the Super Lead but it had more clarity/less buzz than the EVH 5153s I've played. A lot smoother as well. And EVH's tone isn't that hard to get, you just have to know what's going on with his signal. It isn't that complicated, it's just expensive. On a side note, instant VH tone: http://davidbrayamps.com/index.html
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Dec 27, 2009,
In order,

Plexi Superlead (on a variac)
Soldano SLO
Peavey 5150
Fender/EVH 5150 III amp (I don't believe he's ever toured this, just endorsed it)
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
The original was a '68 Super Lead, cranked all knobs to ten. EVH ran it stock, through a Variac that lowered the plate voltage to allow the amp to saturate more.

The 5150/6505 can do an EVH if you spend a LOT of time with the EQ.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by colin617
There's a youtube user (whom I cannot for the life of me find now) who plays a wolfgang through a 5150 and nails Van Halen's tone and phrasing. They really are the best VH covers I've ever heard.

EDIT: FOUND!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Guitarwannabee#p/u/13/0H90_koEwQc

I wish I could nail that tone with a 5150. The Eruption cover is spot on.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT