There is already a general Olympics thread, but I think there are enough hockey fans on UG to carry a hockey-specific thread. And there is enough hockey news to deserve its own thread too, I think.

For starters, Peter Forsberg will be playing for the Swedish team, marking his first return to playing hockey in North America since winning the Stanley Cup with the Avs.

I'm also getting pretty giddy about the prospect of Sydney Crosby, Rick Nash, and Jarome Iginla playing together on Canada's front line.

Discuss Olympic hockey here!
Death to Ovation haters!
team russia is going to own. they have ovechkin, malkin, antropov, nabokov, and the rest of the team is amazing as well.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
I like Minnesota's chance this year. They were incredible in 1980 at Lake Placid, and I am expecting no less this time.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Czech Republic ftw. I always root for the Czechs. ALWAYS!

The shootout at the end of the 1998 semifinal game between Canada and the Czech Republic is quite possibly my favorite hockey moment ever.
Death to Ovation haters!
Go Canada!

Nash - Crosby - Iginsuck (but can snipe)
Marleau - Bergeron - Stamkos
Morrow - M. Richards - Bourque
B. Richards - Getzlaf - Perry

Can`t really think at the moment but maybe switch up second and fourth lines or try and find a way to get E. Staal in... the third line would be dominant even though Bourque is a long shot... it would be the perfect checking line made up of the Canada`s best PKers... not going to make defensive pairs but:

Keith
Doughty
Boyle
Weber
Phaneuf
Pronger
Regehr

No doubt:
Brodeur
Luongo
Fleury

Quote by iceh88
team russia is going to own. they have ovechkin, malkin, antropov, nabokov, and the rest of the team is amazing as well.

Actually the rest of the team will be made up of a bunch of KHL plugs that knew the only way they would ever make big money and be stars was in Russia. It is coming down to the hard working Americans, skilled Swedes, and strong centered tough checking Canadians.
Last edited by CaptainRon at Dec 27, 2009,
Iginla is a great player. That line needs some toughness and Crosby will make great use of his shooting.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by CaptainRon

Iginsuck

I hate Iginla as much as anyone, but can't you think of something better than Iginsuck?
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Isn't he the Flames' all-time leading scorer? He must be putting something into the team.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by PatchworkMan
Isn't he the Flames' all-time leading scorer? He must be putting something into the team.

He used to give something. Now all he has to give is poor defensive play and hot streaks where he will put out 10 goals in five games and then disappear for the next fifteen.
Quote by PatchworkMan
He's just getting old, I think.

Maybe. Or maybe it is just Jokinen. Or maybe he has always been like this and I`ve just never realized.
The Olympics will show what type of player Iginla really is... whether he still has it or whether he is just old.
I have faith that a playmaker like Crosby can bring out the best in him.
Death to Ovation haters!
Canadian Olympic roster released:
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/story/12724014/crosby-brodeur-lead-starstudded-canadian-olympic-roster/rss

Among the top selections were goaltender Martin Brodeur, who recently set the NHL record with his 104th career shutout; defensemen Scott Niedermayer and Chris Pronger; forward Jarome Iginla, the star of Canada's 2002 gold-medal winning team; Joe Thornton, the NHL scoring leader; and Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf, a pair of 24-year-old Anaheim Ducks teammates.

Niedermayer is the captain, with Pronger, Crosby and Iginla as alternate captains. Crosby, at age 22, wasn't the youngest chosen -- Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty just turned 20 and Chicago forward Jonathan Toews is 21.

Joining Brodeur in goal will be 2006 holdover Roberto Luongo of Vancouver and Penguins Stanley Cup winner Marc-Andre Fleury.

Also chosen at forward were Rick Nash of Columbus; Thornton's San Jose teammates Patrick Marleau and Dany Heatley; Philadelphia's Mike Richards, Patrice Bergeron of Boston, Eric Staal of Carolina and Brenden Morrow of Dallas. Bergeron was the only player chosen to the 23-man team who wasn't picked for the pre-Olympic camp in August.

The defensemen include Chicago teammates Brent Seabrook and Duncan Keith, Dan Boyle of San Jose and Nashville's Shea Weber.

There were surprises. Among those passed over were Washington's Mike Green, the NHL's leading scorer among defensemen; Calgary defensemen trio Jay Bouwmeester, Robyn Regehr and Dion Phaneuf; Tampa Bay forward Martin St. Louis; Ottawa forward Mike Fisher; Philadelphia forward Jeff Carter; and Pittsburgh forward Jordan Staal, Eric's brother.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by PatchworkMan

For starters, Peter Forsberg will be playing for the Swedish team, marking his first return to playing hockey in North America since winning the Stanley Cup with the Avs.

Peter Forsberg is a dirty Swede who should go die.

by that i mean he just plays dirty, doesn't have any real talent.
i meant no prejudice towards the Swedish people.

EDIT: also, as a huge Pens fan I would love to see Marc-Andre Fleury get even one start in the olympics. he's really gotten alot better in the last 2 seasons
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Last edited by lespaul1216 at Dec 31, 2009,
Quote by PatchworkMan

Great looking team this year. I'm quite surprised that Niedermeyer was named captain, though. Maybe that's just me.

Not to say he's not deserving or anything, it's just weird to see him up there in front of all of those other players. Just goes to show you that being a great player isn't all about scoring.
Quote by PatchworkMan

He played in 2008.

I want to know what channel and times the games are on. NBC is only playing the mens gold match and bronze and gold of the womens.
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
Quote by Pookie6
He played in 2008.

I want to know what channel and times the games are on. NBC is only playing the mens gold match and bronze and gold of the womens.

Where did you hear that? If NBC doesn't, MSNBC probably will.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by Tubyboulin
Canada is going to own. Russia will do pretty good too, But canada's going home with the Gold.

Thread ends here guys

I jest, it's a competition as always. A proud Canuck is a dangerous thing; like a handful of sand or a partially melted plastic fork.
Quote by lespaul1216

EDIT: also, as a huge Pens fan I would love to see Marc-Andre Fleury get even one start in the olympics. he's really gotten alot better in the last 2 seasons

Forsberg in his prime was one of the best all-around players in the NHL. To say that he has no talent is not only wrong, it's laughable. Lots of injury problems, though. I'll be interested to see if he's still physically up to this level of play.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by PatchworkMan
Where did you hear that? If NBC doesn't, MSNBC probably will.

Yeah i'm hoping they will. They have a schedule on the NBC 2010 olympics page.
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
Czech team, including Jagr:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/story/12665208

Also, before we hand the gold to the Canadians right away, remember the Olympics use the European rink. This advantage has allowed less star-studded European teams to pull off upsets over North American teams in the past, and with some of these rosters, it wouldn't be much of an upset.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by lespaul1216

Please leave.

Anyways, I sadly think that Canada will take home the Gold this time. The swedish team is not strong enough to defend it, but I'm keeping my hopes up.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Quote by CaptainRon
Expect the Olympics to be much like the Canada-U.S. world junior game today.

We can only hope, what a game. Maybe the best I've ever seen. NHL hockey just doesn't come close anymore, College and Juniors are just so much more exciting.
Wow, I stayed up from 3:30 to 6:00 this morning (Greek time) to watch that one but damn it was worth it. Absolutely incredible. We tightened up in the third, if we had started the game like that, it could have been different. But what the f--k is up with all the shorthanded goals the US was scoring?

I don't know how Sweden's Olympic squad compares to their youth but damn, they were quite impressive. Despite the score, Finland were the better team at times, but those Swedes are fast and physical.

Canada-Russia semis in the Juniors (possibly), I hope that's another good game.
Turn on the Winter Classic; they're going to release the USA Olympic roster at some point during the broad cast.
Death to Ovation haters!
I played high school hockey against the goaltender for the women's US team... she played dude hockey and was good at taht.... no wonder she was such a success as a UW Badger