And I need your help to make it a good one, UG. I'm upgrading amps, and I am considering the Peavey ValveKing, as it seems to be dubbed the best for a guitarist on a budget around here. The way things are going now, it would seem that my limit is around 500 USD. If it is absolutely necessary, I can push 600.

I can do used, of course, it is no big deal. I play what my sig says, for the most part. I can however do metal, hard rock, alternative, basically anything that tickles my fancy. So while a Jack of all trades would be great, I'd like it to do Blues and Punk well, and be at least proficient at everything else. I work a lot with both gain and cleans, as well as wah. It must also be gig-worthy. I know this is asking a lot, please do what you can. By the way, Merry Christmas UG.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Bugera 333XL (new or used)

/thread
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Care to explain why you suggest the Bugera?
The versatility is insane on it and it has an amazing price tag for what your getting. That's just my suggestion...

EDIT: I keep forgetting about Jet City Amps The 20w one is around $500 and should be able to cover what you need, I'm just not sure it'd be easily loud enough for decent sized gigs.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Last edited by JayT44 at Dec 27, 2009,
20w is pretty damn loud. seeing as how you play mostly blues and punk, but also are interested in higher gain stuff, i'd definitely look into the new jet city amps. i've been meaning to play one myself.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
Well I'll be playing venues with well over 100 people, and at least half of the time they won't have their own P.A. system. I'm not convinced 20 watts would give me enough head room, unless the amp you're talking about is tube.
oh, it's tube. but yeah, if you're not gonna have a PA for a gig that large, look for something more powerful.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
Indeed, that's what I was thinking. 20 would normally be enough, but on certain occasions I won't have the luxury of a PA.
If you get a used Valveking 112, you can get the OT, tubes and speaker swapped on your budget, and eventually do more. These are modders' amps at heart, mostly because Peavey chose to make them with lower quality components to keep prices down.

As a shorter term fix, you could swap the speaker and run an EQ in the loop, but you're not gonna get as good results.

The VK is a jack of all trades amp, having Fender-type cleans and Marshally distortion. Once you swap the OT, it really helps the amp come to life, and changing tubes and speaker gives it more clarity and harmonics.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Dec 27, 2009,
Meh, I'm not the most keen person when it comes to modding, but I guess I'll have to get over it at some point. Just replacing pups is often times my least favorite thing to do. I was however hoping to get the 212, any particular reason I should settle for the 112? Also, about the Bugera, is it a more fitting decision?

My main concern, while I haven't mentioned it before, is a great tone. I know it matters little when I'm chugging out powerchords, but when I play Blues I want the best tone I can achieve.
You know, a PA isn't a luxury, but it's actually a necessary standard at any rock show. If they don't have a PA, how will your vocals be heard? A show can't go on without a PA, and even if it's a small one everyone will have to keep it down so the vocals are audible. As long as you're performing with a vocalist, you will not be too quiet. Besides, if the venue doesn't have a PA it's probably not worth playing at anyway.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
You know, a PA isn't a luxury, but it's actually a necessary standard at any rock show. If they don't have a PA, how will your vocals be heard? A show can't go on without a PA, and even if it's a small one everyone will have to keep it down so the vocals are audible. As long as you're performing with a vocalist, you will not be too quiet. Besides, if the venue doesn't have a PA it's probably not worth playing at anyway.

In my case it is. I am the vocalist, mate, and I know what you say is true. But right now, I'm willing to do any gig I can get.

On topic, what makes these Jet City Amps worth the mention? Are they able to do what I require? I can sacrifice wattage for quality, and if that also means I have to only play at places with a PA, I will. But as it is, I'm sick of my Frontman. The more technical stuff my band does the more I realize it isn't cutting it.
Quote by CL/\SH
On topic, what makes these Jet City Amps worth the mention? Are they able to do what I require?

Judge for yourself... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwebyR8TDck

I think Jet City may have a higher wattage amp but I'm not sure...?

Once again, I'd say either a Jet City or Bugera 333/XL.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Jet City amps are designed by Soldano and they sound better than basically any amp in the price IMO.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by JayT44
Judge for yourself... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwebyR8TDck

I think Jet City may have a higher wattage amp but I'm not sure...?

Once again, I'd say either a Jet City or Bugera 333/XL.

They're supposed to be coming out with a 100 watt 2 channel head, but I haven't been able to find any info on a release or price.
I have a huge fear if rays.
While I wasn't too impressed by that video posted, I was blown away by one of the other videos I found, and now I'm eager to check one of these bad boys out. Is the eminence cab a standard piece to be used alongside the head?
Quote by CL/\SH
While I wasn't too impressed by that video posted, I was blown away by one of the other videos I found

ORLY? I would love a link...
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
I would post a link, but I'm on an iPod Touch at the moment Just look for it, it's the sample done by guitar world, you should be able to find it I really like the tone, nice bite and punch to it. I do hope, however, the cleans are better than those vids make em out to be.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by CL/\SH
it's the sample done by guitar world, you should be able to find it

I can't stand watching the GW reviews because of the guy that does them

I clicked on that video but exited out because I can't stand him. I'll be sure to watch it now though.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
i just bought the jet city 20 watter today, ill be putting some clips up in a week or so (no cab here). i was blown away by the amp and had to buy one. its a single channel amp with very few extra features, but thats what i love. it will do blues and punk well, not really sure it would do metal though (didnt try). didnt seem like it was all that powerful/loud for its 20 watts though. i cranked the thing, and while it was loud, it might not be able to fill a large room. so while it will do your main tones, it is a bit limited features wise and it might not be loud enough for you. play one, but not sure it would be the perfect amp for you.

havent tried the bugera, but on paper it looks like it would suit your needs well. personally not a huge fan of the VK, but with a few upgrades they are supposed to be a different animal. so as much as i love the jet city amps, id probably look at the other two a bit harder
Haha what makes you dislike him so much? And yeah, it's worth it to see what that amp can do.

Edit: to the guy before me, thanks for the input. That's what makes me hesitant to jump on this. It looks like a great buy, but I wonder if it can roar loud enough.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Dec 28, 2009,
All right, everybody, I want to thank you all for your help. I'm heading to GC in a couple hours to get the JCA20H and the 112 matching cab. When I get back and get some play time with it I'll post some pics and let everyone know my personal take on this.