msn taking up an INSANE amount of cpu (tech savvy people enter here)

so, I've noticed my macs fan has been running a lot recently, even when its on a flat surface and not using any programs (except msn). So i ran activity monitor, and had a look at my cpu usage graph. It was using a ridiculous 100% of the cpu. so i forced it to quit msn, and immediately freed up 90% of the cpu. does anyone know what could be causing this? it is a beta version of msn, but still 100% cpu usage? it just doesn't add up.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 27, 2009,
spyware

DirtyEdit: Didn't read the thread first, do they actually have that on Macs?
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Last edited by DirtyMakik at Dec 27, 2009,
Use adium. You can use your AIM, MSN or whatever other IM app you use.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
I had the msn 8.0 Beta too. And it used up all my CPU whenever it was open.
I just deleted it and am using the latest 7.x

Mein herz schlagt Schwarz Rot und Gold
Quote by ~MeTaL~
I had the msn 8.0 Beta too. And it used up all my CPU whenever it was open.
I just deleted it and am using the latest 7.x

I'm doing that right now. 93% free

still, thats just so weird how much space it was taking up.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I'm doing that right now. 93% free

still, thats just so weird how much space it was taking up.

Yeah I know, it was very weird. I never figure out why it did that though

Mein herz schlagt Schwarz Rot und Gold
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
so, I've noticed my macs fan has been running a lot recently, even when its on a flat surface and not using any programs (except msn). So i ran activity monitor, and had a look at my cpu usage graph. It was using a ridiculous 100% of the cpu. so i forced it to quit msn, and immediately freed up 90% of the cpu. does anyone know what could be causing this? it is a beta version of msn, but still 100% cpu usage? it just doesn't add up.

That's your first problem. MSN isn't designed for macs, and macs don't have a windows memory dump so the longer you run it, the more it'll eat up as it saves all the random shit you don't need.
Best stick with Trillian instant messenger.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Has it only happened this one time or is it a common thing? If it's only been this once, then it could just be a small thing that caused it to start leaking memory. If it's happened before, then it's probably a bigger thing that's causing it to start leaking memory.
Thing about betas are that the code isn't streamlined. It's still full of comment tags and debugging code that will be removed in the final relase. Couple that with a platform it was not intentially programmed for and the sloppyness of Microsoft and there's your answer.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by iforgot120
Has it only happened this one time or is it a common thing? If it's only been this once, then it could just be a small thing that caused it to start leaking memory. If it's happened before, then it's probably a bigger thing that's causing it to start leaking memory.

Its been happening since i installed the beta. i have now deleted the beta and am using the regular msn. It is now back to the way it used to be. this is my cpu usage now.

black = free memory (91.11% of my cpu)

its using next to nothing. there was something badly wrong with that beta. since deleting the beta the fan has stopped running, even with heavy usage. I tried running Quake 4 and the fan still hasn't turned on. that msn was using more memory than ****ing Quake 4 lol.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 27, 2009,