if i put my guitar input through a direct box(also known as a DI box) into a PA will it sound similar to just a clean channel on a regular amp?

Also if i put a distortion pedal in between my guitar and direct box would it sound like it would through an amp?
Quote by AA00P
Forget genres, the real conflict is in the subgenres.

"LOLZ UR MOOSICZ NOT BROOTALZ ENOUGH ITS SYMPHONIC MELODIC ATMOSPHERIC BLACK METAL NOT SYMPHONIC MELODIC ATMOSPHERIC BLACKENED DEATH METAL CHUG-CORE LOLZ!!!"
Why bother with a DI box? You can just plug straight into a PA. If the PA is equalized correctly, it can sound like a decent clean-channel amp. Works the same with a distortion pedal. It's an acceptable substitute until you can afford a solid guitar amp.
It will sound similar, but not the same. With the distortion, it will sound pretty bad I think, unless you use some sort of cabinet emulation.
Even with cabinet emulation, a solid state pedal will usually sound like crap. Your best best is to mic an amp and send that through the PA.

A good DI should not color your sound, but they all do to some extent. All you can really do is try it and see if you can get a sound that you like. I've been playing through a pedal, through a DI into a PA for about a year and have yet to get exactly the sound that I want. The distortion always turns out sounding dry, thin and buzzy. I have only ever been able to get what I want through a mic'd amp.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil