I've just put new strings on my guitar, and am trying to tune each string. When I pluck each string and adjust its tension until the light turns green, the guitar itself does not sound in tune at all; it sounds horrible. Is there something I'm missing?
It could be your not paying attention to what your tuning the guitar to on the tuner.
Most electric tuners can tune to a bunch of different tunings.
Just make sure your tuning to E.
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
To E, as in that's the note that should appear on the screen? Different letter notes appear when I pluck a string. There's also a Mode button that selects different letter tones.
Ok, E is standard tuning.
When you pick the low E string you should see an E on the screen.
Not E#, C, D, etc.
Same with when you pick the A string.
You should see A on the screen.
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
Quote by Roc8995
http://www.howtotuneaguitar.org/

Green means the string is in tune to a note, but it doesn't know what string you're trying to tune, so you're tuning to the wrong note. Look at the tutorials.

Thanks for the site. I tried to tune each string to the individual string sounds, but it still sounds way out of tune. Do you have to develop your ear for that?
Last edited by oh rachelle at Dec 27, 2009,
Quote by Rockerdude22
Ok, E is standard tuning.
When you pick the low E string you should see an E on the screen.
Not E#, C, D, etc.
Same with when you pick the A string.
You should see A on the screen.

Is that for every tuner? My guitar was in tune before, because I had someone else tune it. When I plucked each standard-tuned string to the tuner just to see how it worked, the E string would play a D or something.
Go back to the store and ask them to teach you to use the tuner to tune the guitar. I realize it’s embarrassing, but I guarantee you they do it at least once a day.
Quote by jpnyc
Go back to the store and ask them to teach you to use the tuner to tune the guitar. I realize it’s embarrassing, but I guarantee you they do it at least once a day.

Haha, yeah. That's what I'll have to do indeed.