Hi Guys, Im almost have enough money to buy a half stack amp. I play lots of Punk/alternative genres, like NFG Green day, Yellowcard, Blink 182, Sum 41, Angels and Airwaves, +44 and so on. I have tried half stacks at my local guitar center and so far I really like the Line6, Marshall, And Crate amps. But i really would like more opinions on what amps sound better for this genre plus, what is the most commonly used Half stack Amp in punk/alternative rock? And im Kinda in band so I Really want one, If not i really like playing loud. Thank you
How much money do you have?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by PussyPunk182
How much money do you have?

400$ Currently...
half stacks r cool man, marshal is more for metal, line 6 is good for anything, and crate im not sure. depends on the price range ur looking for though. more expensive then go with marshal, if u looking for a little cheaper then get line 6 cause they got so much affects built into em. but if u have alot of pedals then go with marshal, if i were u i would just go to ur local guitar center and try out all the different half stacks and see which fits u best. remember everyone is different.
$400 won't get you far as far as halfstack's go... JCM 900's are pretty great for punk... but you'll need to do more saving....
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
Quote by BryceIbanez17
half stacks r cool man, marshal is more for metal, line 6 is good for anything, and crate im not sure. depends on the price range ur looking for though. more expensive then go with marshal, if u looking for a little cheaper then get line 6 cause they got so much affects built into em. but if u have alot of pedals then go with marshal, if i were u i would just go to ur local guitar center and try out all the different half stacks and see which fits u best. remember everyone is different.

Well I do have the Boss Me20 Pedal and I use it on my on my line 6 Spider lll 15 amp, Any chance if i use that on the marshall, will it sound more punk? Oh and Im looking for an amp really Like in the range of 300 800$$$
Last edited by Tap597 at Dec 28, 2009,
first off, none of those bands are punk (sorry about that, i just needed to say it)

second, since you've only got 400 why don't you go for a combo? If you buy used you can get a much nicer amp than you could if you bought a halfstack, and combos are more than capable of being loud and used in a band setting.
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
First off, "Half Stack" only refers to a setup where one uses an amp head driving a single 4x12 speaker cabinet. Combos are prefectly fine.

Second, you really shouldn't limit yourself to getting a halfstack, as heads are generally made for a high output level, and will hence be bloody loud (seriously, you have NO idea how loud a 100 watt can get). 4x12 cabs are also insanely annoying to move around.

Don't judge a whole brand just on one model, and vice versa. For example, a "Marshall half stack" could be a number of different amps, some terrible, some pretty nice.

Do a LOT of research on different amps, look around, play around on different models to see what kind of sound you like.

For your price range, i'd look at the used market, at 1x12 or 2x12 combos.

EDIT: holy crap dude above me; posted the same thing and beat me by a few seconds ok fine just the first words.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
Last edited by Ratfish at Dec 28, 2009,
I have one word to say:
dontgetafrigginafstakfofourhundredbucksdamit!!!
Okay, you don't need a halfstack unless you really have specific needs as far as tone goes, and specific needs as far as volume goes. These being the massive bass response of a 4x12 cab or the sound of a specific set of speakers, and gigs in a friggin' stadium or something. Seriously, with $400, it should be illegal to buy a halfstack. Get a combo, it will be plenty loud for you. Look into the B-52 AT-112, the Peavey Vypyr Tube, and possibly the Jet City JCA20H if you REALLY want a halfstack.

Also, just to reiterate, you WILL NOT find a good halfstack for $400 or less. And BryceIbanez17, I don't mean to be a dick, but you really sound like you have no idea what you're talking about. Marshalls are not 'meant' for metal, and *that* Marshall is meant for the garbage can. Line 6 Spider Halfstacks are completely unnecessary, and the Crate Flexwave, which is probably the one being referred to, is absolute garbage.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
Okay, you don't need a halfstack unless you really have specific needs as far as tone goes, and specific needs as far as volume goes. These being the massive bass response of a 4x12 cab or the sound of a specific set of speakers, and gigs in a friggin' stadium or something. Seriously, with $400, it should be illegal to buy a halfstack. Get a combo, it will be plenty loud for you. Look into the B-52 AT-112, the Peavey Vypyr Tube, and possibly the Jet City JCA20H if you REALLY want a halfstack.

Also, just to reiterate, you WILL NOT find a good halfstack for $400 or less. And BryceIbanez17, I don't mean to be a dick, but you really sound like you have no idea what you're talking about. Marshalls are not 'meant' for metal, and *that* Marshall is meant for the garbage can. Line 6 Spider Halfstacks are completely unnecessary, and the Crate Flexwave, which is probably the one being referred to, is absolute garbage.

Well said my friend, I was reading alot of fail up top.

Whenever someone refers to a halfstack as their "Marshall halfstack", its very likely its an mg. Mgs as 15 watters are fine as practice amps as are spiders(though I'd rather a vypyr). But for a half stack you don't want to walk into the store with 400 bucks looking for a half stack. The sales guy will bring you to a wall of lights or a pile of marshall mgs. I agree, it should be illegal to buy a halfstack with 400 bucks.

Either save up more money, or simply get a combo.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Ya, if you're talking about the Marshall MG, Line 6 Spider, and Crate Flexwave stacks, which you are, then don't bother. All three are terrible.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Most of the bands you listed TS either play Mesa Dual Recs or JCM900's and sorry to say the Spiders or MG's won't compare. I'd say the JCM900 combo suggestion is a good one if you go used you should be able to find one within your budget