I'm not planning on buying or anything so don't try to recommend me something.

I'm just curious about Orange Amps. I hear they are very good for like they are good for like classic rock/hard rock.

I'm curious if they play well with metal? Metal like Black Sabbath, Doom/Stoner Metal, and like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer?
Hi

Never played one, but have heard one guitarist use them, nad was singularly unimpressed, very trebly, thin and unpleasant tone, but that could have been the way he had it set-up. He was going for a metallica style tone but missed it completley in fact missed a good tone for anything completely, so on what i have seen i would say not, but it was very limited too.
IMO, with a good OD pedal they can do metal. Heck, I played a tiny terror at my local guitar shop and that sucker did pretty well on its own. Not quite full-on metal territory, but it had some bite to it no doubt.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by slash4114
IMO, with a good OD pedal they can do metal. Heck, I played a tiny terror at my local guitar shop and that sucker did pretty well on its own. Not quite full-on metal territory, but it had some bite to it no doubt.

Orange Amps don't come with a like an OD channel?
orange was introduced in the early 70's commercially, they were formerly a recording studio turned gear shop. matamp made the earliest orange models until a split occured and orange started making their own designs. orange has been sold a few times had stopped production in the early 80's(?) and began again in the mid 90's or so.

they are very english sounding, they are typically known for being darker sounding than bright/midsy classic Marshall amps. preference is totally personal taste, but i am biased toward orange style english designs rather than marshall style circuits. imo you get more tone/bang for the buck with orange over marshall.

orange designs are more known to be fairly innovative, like pioneering tube buffered effects loops, HFA knobs, slave amp heads, and recently the lunch box like tiny terror and kin, the completely independent channel AD series and the thunderverb series that can act as guitar or bass amps.

orange's thick low end, darker sound, and saturated tones were used by many, many classic rock, modern rock, pop, punk, and metal bands at various times. some notables are led zeppelin, the mars volta, black sabboth, madonna, slipknot, decemberists, etc.

their cabinets are of notoriously high quality, are known for their oversized dimensions and quality materials. in truth i must say i feel they are a bit overpriced as you can buy clones for about 1/2 the price. their use of the V30 speakers is safe but doesn't really set them apart.

btw, if you want a higher end orange than what they offer, then i recommend going to matamp(they are still around) and taking a visit of their facility and sample their circuits and have them make you a custom amp to your specs. even though i know you're not buying
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by bobthebum16
Orange Amps don't come with a like an OD channel?

Yeah they do, I'm just saying that the Orange Tiny Terror isn't really a metal monster or anything, IMO. I cannot speak for the other Orange Amps, as I haven't played them.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

To me Orange sound about halfway between Vox and Marshall in terms of voicing - plenty of ballsy crunch but with a slightly sweeter edge than the average Marshall. The Rocker series does the vintage Marshall thing well, while the AD series is a good Vox alternative. The Terrors are cheap, ballsy and fun though they can be a bit on the fizzy side.

The Rocker/Rockerverbs have a fair bit of gain on tap, but they're rock/blues amps through and through and I wouldn't recommend them highly for anything else.
whats wrong with your bugera?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
The AD series sounded nice to me, close to the AC30 without being a copy. The rocker series were decent, not something I'd play but definitely a good meaty sounding amp for most rock styles, with a solid clean channel as well.

The tiny terror was awful IMO, just a really bad amp. It was very thin and fizzy, the cleans were sterile and the OD sounded like something you'd get from a midrange SS amp.
^agree, the AD series is pretty impressive. The tiny terror is just too muddy. But someone might find it useful, but I can't see myself getting one because it's only good for one or two tones imo.

and whats with the exaggerate use of the word 'like'?
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
Quote by Carrot
whats wrong with your bugera?

Nothing is wrong with it... i love it!

I was just curious...
Quote by bobthebum16
Nothing is wrong with it... i love it!

I was just curious...

ahh fair enough,

yeah orange are good, just everyone has their own taste
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5