I recently acquired a Shure SM57 dynamic mic. From what I've read and sort-of experienced, I need some sort of Mic Pre-Amp to help boost/clear my sound. Basically I'm asking for some help and advice on what kind of pre-amp I should look into. My ideal price would be around $150 or less.

Two that have somewhat caught my attention are:

M-Audio Fast Track MKII USB Audio Interface
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Fast-Track-MKII-USB-Interface?sku=703669

ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581

If anyone can shed some light on what is considered a "good quality, clean sounding pre-amp", that would be great. Thanks in advance and I welcome any advice on recording. For the record, I'm using the SM57 to mic my Marshall JCM 600 on which I will be recording personal songs (Guitar-Heavy Alternative Rock).

Thanks,
Derek
Last edited by DLXperience at Dec 28, 2009,
the ART preamp is very, very nice for the price. I love mine. I actually have the "project" series which I use it for my 57 and my Golden Age Project FC1 mk ii. But I have used the studio series and it is good as well. If you could though, I'd get the project.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by DLXperience
For the ART preamp, how do you run it to your computer?

You can run it direct in as it produces a level line out but I run it through my E-Mu tracker interface.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but does direct in mean to the mic input of the computer, or USB?
Okay, so when I run the SM57 to my computer with a mic cable that has a Male XLR end as well as a Male 1/4 inch end this runs into a 1/4 to 1/8 inch adaptor into the mic input on my computer, the sound picked up is very staticy and unclear. I'm using Sony Acid Pro to record. I DO NOT own a preamp yet. Is this a common occurance when not having a preamp for this mic?

For a better explanation of what I'm using:

Shure SM57 -> XLR - 1/4" cable -> 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor -> Mic input on computer = Static

When recording a sustained chord, it records the first second and then the volume greatly backs down.
Last edited by DLXperience at Dec 31, 2009,
The ART Tube preamp has a version with a USB, get that.
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
Sorry for confusing you. I can look that up, but I'm more interested in my latest/previous question:

Okay, so when I run the SM57 to my computer with a mic cable that has a Male XLR end as well as a Male 1/4 inch end this runs into a 1/4 to 1/8 inch adaptor into the mic input on my computer, the sound picked up is very staticy and unclear. I'm using Sony Acid Pro to record. I DO NOT own a preamp yet. Is this a common occurance when not having a preamp for this mic?

For a better explanation of what I'm using:

Shure SM57 -> XLR - 1/4" cable -> 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor -> Mic input on computer = Static

When recording a sustained chord, it records the first second and then the volume greatly backs down.
that first one you posted (fast track) would be the best idea for you if you don't have a real interface yet. that will get you a very clean sound that you will be quite pleased with.
With the one I posted all you'd have to do is The SM57->XLR->interface->USB->computer.