Hi, first off I'm still pretty new at guitar, but I've reached the point where I can play songs of medium difficult decently only if I practice it a lot. My question is, how do you guys decide which fingers you put on the frets? I mean I'm sure it has alot to do with the transition to the next notes/chords, but I find myself alternating between different placements until I find the one that seems the easiest. Is this what most guitarist do? Or do you reach a point where you have a definitive placement for each chord, no matter what the next chord may be.

For example, it took me a while to get used to using my whole index finger to hold down all the frets when playing a chord that uses the same fret across stringers (assuming that the fret number is the lowest in the chord). I'm still trying to master it, but I'm sure that this will help in the long run right?

I was also considered hiring an instructor, but my question is how will they even help me? Just tell me the optimal finger placements for harder songs? Aside from that I can only imagine them telling me what to practice.

Thanks
You're pretty much right - you simply choose your finger placement based on what's most convenient for what you're currently playing, and also to make it easier to get to the next place you're going to.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com