My band plays in drop D and my E string rattles horribly when it's in this tuning. I'm not entirely sure about different gauges and I was wondering what some of you might recommend to prevent the problem.

Thanks!
Quote by aluminum.maiden
you are a BEAST Crovox
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
I think I've gained so many gay points reading the past 3 pages of this thread that if I gave another man a blowjob I'd actually lose some.
Member #23 of the official Alkaline Trio Fan Club. PM greenfinger182 to join.
raise the action.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
My friends used to rattle a ton since we play in drop c.
He got thicker gauges and there good now
so... yeah just step the gauges up a little. I dont know a lot about bass haha, but uhh... yeah just go a little thicker I guess :/
raise the action and possibly use a higher gauge of string. only do this though if you play mostly distorted stuff because once you use a higher gauge cleans might not sound as good.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Last edited by iceh88 at Dec 28, 2009,
Is it easy to do on your own, or is it possible to warp the neck while raising the action?
Quote by aluminum.maiden
you are a BEAST Crovox
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
I think I've gained so many gay points reading the past 3 pages of this thread that if I gave another man a blowjob I'd actually lose some.
Member #23 of the official Alkaline Trio Fan Club. PM greenfinger182 to join.
its no problem to raise the action by adjusting the bridge, there are plenty of tutorials/explanations around here and on the internet in general

for the basses I play (mostly fenders) its like a 2.5mm action height from the top of the 17th fret to the bottom of the string...somethin like that. i keep it at 3.

if you can measure that yourself give it a quick check and go from there, remembering that you'll need to readjust your intonation

also, you mentioned neck warping...thats adjusting the truss rod, if you arent sure about that you might want to have the bass looked over quickly by a tech. just for a positive opinion. I still do that alot and I've been setting my basses up successfully forever.