Sometime during January I'll be purchasing a PRS SE Custom 24, and I'm just wondering..
What would be the best gauge and type of string to get for drop tunings, such as drop C and C standard tuning?
I sometimes go ever lower to drop B and A, but that's less often, I'm more often in drop D and drop C, with sometimes being in C standard.
I've heard 11 gauge is good for these tunings, just looking for further advice.

Please tell me the gauge you think is best, and what type of string.

I play mostly metal, through a Roland Cube 30x (Just some background information)
Ernie Ball Skinny top heavy bottom arent to bad at all for Drop d, c, and b,
I don't detune that much but instead of waiting for replies type in either

gauge drop

or

guage drop

in the searchbar and you will get like 20 threads asking this exact question
.11-.52 should be decent enough for drop c and c standard. lower than that i would get a bigger strings.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
.11-.52 should be decent enough for drop c and c standard. lower than that i would get a bigger strings.

Any particular brand?
I've used .9's for Drop B, which is what i mostly play in. It's not really that big of a deal in my opinion, but I usually use .10's.
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM
migueltherocker: The retarded unicorn-fish of the sea

Quote by ShredHead396

Dude, that was just pure win, i laughed the entire way

first stack ^
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Any particular brand?

i use d'addario. i use ej-22 strings. they are .13-.56 and i play in C standard with them. they make a set for drop tuning and all that jazz. i forget the name, just hit up the guitar center or musicians friend website.

also, the ej-22 strings would probably work well in drop B or B standard cause of the scale length of the PRS. id check them out.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by migueltherocker
I've used .9's for Drop B, which is what i mostly play in. It's not really that big of a deal in my opinion, but I usually use .10's.

you use 9s from drop B? wow that must sound terrible and be a floppy mess. i wouldn't use anything lighter than 12s for drop C or lower.

it is a big deal...
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
.013 - .056 or bust boys and girls. I use .012 - .052 for standard tuning. Grow some calluses.
Quote by Roybordom
.013 - .056 or bust boys and girls. I use .012 - .052 for standard tuning. Grow some calluses.

not everyone can be as internet manly as you obviously.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by pmeg568c
you use 9s from drop B? wow that must sound terrible and be a floppy mess. i wouldn't use anything lighter than 12s for drop C or lower.

it is a big deal...

I like my bends easy. And I also come back up to standard ocasionaly, and anything higher than .10's in standard feels weird to me. Who do you think I am, Roybordom?

Edit: Actually, i've been thinking of getting the highest gage i can find just to make my fingers stronger. Then for gigging i'll go down to .10's, and i'll keep the other gauge for finger excercises.
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM

Quote by ShredHead396

first stack ^
Last edited by migueltherocker at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by migueltherocker
I like my bends easy. And I also come back up to standard ocasionaly, and anything higher than .10's in standard feels weird to me. Who do you think I am, Roybordom?

Edit: Actually, i've been thinking of getting the highest gage i can find just to make my fingers stronger. Then for gigging i'll go down to .10's, and i'll keep the other gauge for finger excercises.

thats SUPER easy though. you must be a master of chords to not bend them out of tune when playing or you play with a speed so uick you cant tell whats being played regardless.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by Crohny
thats SUPER easy though. you must be a master of chords to not bend them out of tune when playing or you play with a speed so uick you cant tell whats being played regardless.

I'll go with the master of chords option.
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM

Quote by ShredHead396

first stack ^
Quote by migueltherocker
I'll go with the master of chords option.

the new iommi. i can dig it.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT