Poll: Have you written a song before?
Poll Options
View poll results: Have you written a song before?
Yes, and I am quite proud of it.
306 66%
Yes, but it kind of sucks.
110 24%
I have never written a song.
46 10%
Voters: 462.
Page 1 of 3
I know many people who play musical instruments, but very few of them have ever written an original guitar part, much less a full-fledged song. I absolutely love playing guitar, but I realized long ago that I lack the musical creativity to write something that I may actually be proud of.

I searched, and nothing came up. Also, I hope this is the proper forum. I figured everyone in the S&L forum would've answered "yes".

So, what about the rest of you?
uhm...i've written some songs...but i never do anything with them or play them ever again...i wrote this song for a girl though....the lyrics were

Krauss she runs this house, Krauss she runs this.....

Step in the club
whos that girl?
Its **** Krauss
she runs this house

it was a dance song haha
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i can become erect whilst displeasing women

What a talented person.
Lots bro.
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
I've been writing bits and pieces over the years. I am poor and lack the proper equipment necessary to make the music I want to make, so when I get my full-time job that pays up the ass, I will buy a lot of equipment and start putting together songs. I have great ideas for songs and have the intuition for good song structure and vocal melodies, so I can't wait to have the equipment to record some proper songs.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I write songs all the time. Why else do think I have room to be such a gigantic musical elitist? Unfortunately, like darkstar, I have crappy recording equipment. But I do have a piece buried in the Lyrics subforum.
Yup, makes me feel accomplished.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
I love writing music, I'm not good at much else. I mean I'm not amazing, but I'm reasonably proud of what I've done.

And yeah, I not only have shitty recording equipment, I write without touching a guitar, so some of it is ****ing hard. I'm working on improving though, I intend to have recorded a demo-album-thing by halfway through 2010.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Dec 28, 2009,
I've actually written several. Released 3 EPs with a 4th on the way.

Good stuff! It takes a while to feel it out, I'll say that.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
I've written a ton of music. I've got 6 songs on an "EP" and am currently working on another EP, and have an additional 3 I just recorded... I've got a ton of music lol
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I write songs all the time. Why else do think I have room to be such a gigantic musical elitist? Unfortunately, like darkstar, I have crappy recording equipment. But I do have a piece buried in the Lyrics subforum.

Anything I want to record to save for later, I use my one and only microphone:

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I've written countless songs and recorded several with a bit of low-quality technology.
I've written one song that I don't even own anymore.
"Mothballs" Me and my band mate, Nick, told someone to give us a person, place, or thing and we'd make it a 1-minute long song.
We got mothballs.

It sucked.
ive written a load of songs and come up with Melodic Deathcore with a friend of mine... you get all the brutality on the chorus and girls suck your dick on the verses
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Yep, I've created a lot of songs, most without lyrics at this point, however, I'm in a new band now and we're doing pretty good in the 'creativity' department.

I categorize the songs I write into music I've created by myself (mostly stellar metal songs, some clean/acoustic though) and music we've created as a band (almost a Soundgarden feel).
I've written the music, but no lyrics
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
you dont need amazing equipment to write incredible music. look at bob dylan. an acoustic guitar and about four chords.
maybe buy a four-track recorder and go from there?
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
All of my songs are originals, check my mp3´s, (I am the shadow & The Messenger) were done in a studio while (Dont) was done in our practice room, I have more from our cd that I may post sooner or later. The studio songs are recorded in surround sound, so if your system has that you´ll hear some great sounds from all directions.
Last edited by sstony at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by nick_b
you dont need amazing equipment to write incredible music. look at bob dylan. an acoustic guitar and about four chords.

Folk is awesome, and I like writing stuff on my acoustic, but I don't want to be limited by it. I want to have electronic elements in my music as well.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Composition major...

...so no.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
No but I find myself humming random tunes everytime which imho would make really good songs. Maybe in the near future I'll start writing
Quote by GArrigan
that sir was done with class

Hear the wind
whispering your name
twice the encouragement
of the real you
Quote by Tag43
I've written countless songs and recorded several with a bit of low-quality technology.

Same. I have perfected the art of recording them through my tiny laptop mic, whilst using my pedal for the drums.
A proper band would be ideal but where am i going to get a proper band round here?
My brother an i write songs all the time (he plays drums). Their about dismembering zombies, ghosts, politics and entering the 4th dimension an shit
Extispicy: Predicting The Future Though The Study Of Animal Entrails...
Pretty regularly. But then I change them ten minutes later. I've got problems with that.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Yeah i wrote one full one when i was going through a period of like extreme stress and anxiety and sadness and its amazing. Idk its very emotional i guess, no lyrics just instrumental, its 3 guitar parts, a pseudo bass line, a lead, and rhythm all acoustic and outta like the 5 people ive showed it to 3 have cried? of course they were girls haha idk if that has anything to do with it.
Currently Playing:
Arma 2/3, Dayz, GW2, GTA, Splinter Cell, ESO, FF:X, Pokemon X
I've written heaps. Near a thousand, I'd say.

I alternate genres everyday. One day I write rock, the next I write jazz, the next I wrote blues, etc etc.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by nick_b

Eh, but not everyone wants to write that sort of music, or are even able to. I love complexity, and kind of rely on it to try and make my stuff remotely interesting. I'd have no idea how to write a 4-chord progression that sounds any good. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking taht.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Pretty regularly. But then I change them ten minutes later. I've got problems with that.

this!!!!!!
The Bloodbath Burlesque Orchestra
Quote by phoenix_crush
Deluxe Skull Mace w/ Custom Sheath & Dagger

found that in the self defense section, y'know in case you need to defend yourself from a ****in orc

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Dreaminmusic
Yeah i wrote one full one when i was going through a period of like extreme stress and anxiety and sadness and its amazing. Idk its very emotional i guess, no lyrics just instrumental, its 3 guitar parts, a pseudo bass line, a lead, and rhythm all acoustic and outta like the 5 people ive showed it to 3 have cried? of course they were girls haha idk if that has anything to do with it.

Mate, you can't talk yourself up like that without backing it up Come on, show us it, I'd love to hear it.
I agree with whalepudding, if you cant back it up with some proof then dont talk that smack around here. Show us what ya got !!!!!!!!!!
I picked "yes, but it kind of sucks", despite the fact that the honest answer was "yes, and the world is a worse place for it".
Page 1 of 3