anyone on here own either of these? ill be honest, ive never liked any of the schecters ive seen. the ones ive played felt awkward to me and the tone wasnt anything specialy. these two guitars have caught my eye though. my local GC doesnt have them i dont think so trying them right now is kind of hard. any feed back would be awesome. all the specs and everythign are spot on to what i like and they look sweet. the red Tempest Custom looks awesome. really interested. thanks.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
also if you can compare the neck to that of a SG standard thatd be cool too. is it thinner or thicker. if its thinner than a gibson V then ill be sad.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
fyi the classic was discontinued like a month or two ago, and the 2010 model that has apparently replaced it is the c-1 custom. they changed the inlays, added another pot, its a set neck now, and i think its even got a 24.75" scale too. there are some used ones on ebay, and americanmusical.com still offered brand new classics last time i check for $499.

cant answer your questions actually since ive never played either, but once my classic arrives, i can tell you for certain how great it feels!

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by SYLrules88
fyi the classic was discontinued like a month or two ago, and the 2010 model that has apparently replaced it is the c-1 custom. they changed the inlays, added another pot, its a set neck now, and i think its even got a 24.75" scale too. there are some used ones on ebay, and americanmusical.com still offered brand new classics last time i check for $499.

cant answer your questions actually since ive never played either, but once my classic arrives, i can tell you for certain how great it feels!

do they have the same necks though? thats the only thing i need to know. this could be my next guitar before i save up for a SG standard or classic, so its kind of important haha.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
ayone have either of these guitars?
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
As far as the Custom goes, I've played it, kind of a standard Schecter neck--I like it, a lot of people don't, you should probably try it before you get one. Not sure if it's thicker than a Flying V neck, but it's certainly not thinner. The sound isn't mind-blowing of course (you'd probably want to eventually upgrade to genuine Duncans), but there's nothing wrong with it either--although, of course, I can't tell you if it'll be to your taste. Can't say anything for long-term ownership, but I'm pretty sure the Guitar Center in my area has had the same one on the floor for about two years and it seems to be holding up.

I haven't had a chance to play the Classic (I'm assuming you mean the Tempest Classic, if you mean the C-1 Classic then disregard), but from what I can see it's a better guitar--ebony fretboard (which I prefer), real Duncans, pretty nice maple top--but on the other hand, it's almost $300 (US) more. I'd assume it's probably a similar feel, almost all the set-neck Schecters I've played have had a very similar neck.
whoops i assumed you meant the c-1 classic as that's been the only thing on my mind for two weeks now.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

The C-1 Classic is an amazing guitar (and absolutely gorgeous), TS, if you're willing to try a 25.5" or 24-fret, I'd recommend at least playing one...It's been discontinued, but they're still pretty easy to find. But if you prefer short scale, either Tempest model would be good.
As far as I know, most Schecters have pretty much the same neck. I think the bolt ons are a bit thinner than the set necks, but it's pretty marginal IMO. I played the Tempest a while back and it's a great guitar. I can't compare the neck to an SG standard, but I've played my friend's special and the Schecter is much thinner than that neck. (Play an SG special some time. The average tree is thinner than that neck.) However, bear in mind that most people who are going to respond to this love Schecter necks. If you don't, I would consider this a good time to take full advantage of guitar center's 30 day return policy.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by TheBadPlace
As far as the Custom goes, I've played it, kind of a standard Schecter neck--I like it, a lot of people don't, you should probably try it before you get one. Not sure if it's thicker than a Flying V neck, but it's certainly not thinner. The sound isn't mind-blowing of course (you'd probably want to eventually upgrade to genuine Duncans), but there's nothing wrong with it either--although, of course, I can't tell you if it'll be to your taste. Can't say anything for long-term ownership, but I'm pretty sure the Guitar Center in my area has had the same one on the floor for about two years and it seems to be holding up.

I haven't had a chance to play the Classic (I'm assuming you mean the Tempest Classic, if you mean the C-1 Classic then disregard), but from what I can see it's a better guitar--ebony fretboard (which I prefer), real Duncans, pretty nice maple top--but on the other hand, it's almost $300 (US) more. I'd assume it's probably a similar feel, almost all the set-neck Schecters I've played have had a very similar neck.

no im talking about the tempest classic. i found them for like 850. i planned on switching pick ups out on whatever one i get if i do get one. i need to go take a look at my local gc, but im pretty sure they dont have them. i dont recall seeing it on the wal, if i did i would have played it by now haha.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Well in that case, you're looking at a $250 price difference, but that'll be less than $100 if you're definitely planning on buying new pickups (and almost nothing if you weren't planning on installing the pickups yourself)--I'd say it's worth going for the Classic.

EDIT: Normally I wouldn't advise anyone to get something without trying it, but from my experience Schecter is one of the more consistent companies in terms of feel, quality control, etc., and you'd probably be safe doing so.

EDIT AGAIN: Didn't see that you were planning on switching out the pickups regardless. If you go with the Classic I'd recommend at least playing around with it some before deciding that, it's already got a pair of good, versatile pickups.
Last edited by TheBadPlace at Dec 29, 2009,
Quote by TheBadPlace
Well in that case, you're looking at a $250 price difference, but that'll be less than $100 if you're definitely planning on buying new pickups (and almost nothing if you weren't planning on installing the pickups yourself)--I'd say it's worth going for the Classic.

EDIT: Normally I wouldn't advise anyone to get something without trying it, but from my experience Schecter is one of the more consistent companies in terms of feel, quality control, etc., and you'd probably be safe doing so.

EDIT AGAIN: Didn't see that you were planning on switching out the pickups regardless. If you go with the Classic I'd recommend at least playing around with it some before deciding that, it's already got a pair of good, versatile pickups.

i plan on using the stock pick ups. i just wanna try out a bunch of different pick ups in it to find something i can be 100 percent happy on. can always put them back in if i like them.

im tempted to buy it. ill know right away if its right for me or not so i can send it back quick.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
That'd be my suggestion, it's an overall better guitar, and if it's not right, like you said, there's a return policy.
Quote by TheBadPlace
That'd be my suggestion, it's an overall better guitar, and if it's not right, like you said, there's a return policy.

yeah. i saw some pretty decent photos and video of the guitar. the neck looks pretty close to my V. looks like it could be a bit wider but thats not a bad thing at all. we shall see what happens.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT