Hey guys how ya doin'?

I don't know where to post this but I thought it fits best in here.
So as the title says, I'm a lefty but I play right handed, and I'm pretty good at it so far.
So the story behind this all is: I wasn't really interested in playing guitar or rock/metal music at all, but my brother wanted to learn guitar, so my parents bough him a cheap classic guitar that he can start with.
So I kept hearing his playing and stuff so I got interested in this, so I grabbed the guitar which was a right handed guitar and tried to play some stuff, I sucked of course but along I started to play some nice stuff like... Nothing else matters, fade to black, November Rain's solo(not the last one) and so many.

So I really wanna improve more but is playing right handed will kind of prevent me from getting better?

And I got some questions to ask:
- I've got some problems using my ring and little finger (I can use them but I got problems with them most of the times), and bending with them is a nightmare for me.

What to do???
I do the same thing you do With me, it just felt natural that way, holding the guitar the other way felt strange and can not play it at all that way (though I could learn to with enough determination). Anyhow, sounds like you're already doing fairly good as you are. With the ring and pinky finger, those will take time to strenghten and become more dextrous. I suggest doing some exercises regularily to get them doing more stuff! Strength for bending will take time too, just keep working at it.

Playing right handed shouldn't hold you back, and from a discussion with a guitar store owner/former techie, he said to me that using the strongest hand for chords and such makes lots of sense. If playing left handed feels more natural to you, then do that, but it sounds like you're on the right track (no pun intended!!!) the way you're going.
Quote by Rokeman
I do the same thing you do With me, it just felt natural that way, holding the guitar the other way felt strange and can not play it at all that way (though I could learn to with enough determination). Anyhow, sounds like you're already doing fairly good as you are. With the ring and pinky finger, those will take time to strenghten and become more dextrous. I suggest doing some exercises regularily to get them doing more stuff! Strength for bending will take time too, just keep working at it.

Playing right handed shouldn't hold you back, and from a discussion with a guitar store owner/former techie, he said to me that using the strongest hand for chords and such makes lots of sense. If playing left handed feels more natural to you, then do that, but it sounds like you're on the right track (no pun intended!!!) the way you're going.

Wow, really thanks man, you got me relaxed now.
And yes, I "closed my ears" and flipped the guitar to play lefty, but no, it was incredibly annoying, after "playing" that way a few second (killing my nerves) I flipped the guitar back and f***ing f***ed it up with power chords and stuff, you probably know what that feels like xD.

sorry for long posts.
Long posts? I typed more than you did probs Good to hear I've made a difference.
I'm a lefty who plays right handed too. Over the years I've tried a few serious efforts to play left handed with no luck what so ever. Do what's comfortable. I always thought about it from a piano's perspective too, there's no left righted or right handed piano's, just piano's. Theres' no reason you can't view the guitar the same way.
Last edited by MikeDodge at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by MikeDodge
I'm a lefty who plays right handed too. Over the years I've tried a few serious efforts to play left handed with no luck what so ever. Do what's comfortable. I always thought about it from a piano's perspective too, there's no left righted or right handed piano's, just piano's. Theres' no reason you can't view the guitar the same way.

100% right mate, same goes for flutes ,saxos and much more instruments.