Ive been just wondering how YOU learnt solo's as a progressive beginner, you know, the kinda kid with a pretty kickass guitar and your aching to learn some chunky stuff.
Like, im 15, i want to learn Nevermore solo's hahaha. Wish me luck, but i beleive i have the tech ability to do it.
To get his pattens down, just practice slowly until they get faster? Same with all chop based runs?
Just curious
Regards. Fellowguitarist.
NOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM
Schecter Damien special. ♥
Pod X3 Live. ♥
^^^, One winning combination.
wrong forum, needs asking in guitar techniques or use the searchbar, i`ll get it moved for you.

learn everything as small phrases, use a metronome (slow then up to full speed gradually), better still learn to improvise.
i'm, as of now, learning the solo to beast and the harlot. it is hard, but its just cause i need to get it to speed. i'm about 75% there
The main thing is to start slowly and make sure you play them with the correct feel, technique and timing. Once you can do it properly at a slow speed then start to speed up but keep the accuracey. The mistake some people make is to expect to get up to full speed way to early and the timing / accuracey is all over the place.

Have fun
"I'm only 15"

NOthing to do with it. In fact it pisses me off when people assume it does.
I learnt the Building the Church solo (Steve Vai) at 14.

Anyway, usually I just make sure I actually know the solo (the amount of times jumping into learning a song I can't recite by mouth has messed me up ) then I'll attempt it, if there are licks I can't muster I'll slow it down then bring it up to correct tempo.
The hardest solo for me to learn was Pantera's Cowboys From Hell. It took me about 2 months to get the song perfect, but when I played jaws dropped to the ground.
Learning hard solos is THE ONLY way to learn to play hard solos. And you got to start at some point but as you walk down this path it will become easier with every lick learnt and every riff mastered.

PS: one must always count when learning solos.
Last edited by Grimriffer at Dec 28, 2009,
i could play stabwound by necrophagist when i was 14 so age isnt a matter ,
how long have you been playing?
3 years seriously practicing about 1 1/2, I just learnt stabwound good as song.
NOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM
Pod X3 Live. ♥
I'm only 15 and im learning Technical Difficulties - Racer X. I also plan to learn Canon Rock sometime next year
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
I was going to learn songs like that. But i decided. Why? its not my favored genre of music. It would benefit my playing tenfold, but why bother learn something that doesnt make me happy
Good luck with it though, its fair challenging haha.
NOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM
Pod X3 Live. ♥
I just usually take licks from the solo and incorperate them with some improvising. Slash and Brian May do that alot.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by Tokai09
I just usually take licks from the solo and incorperate them with some improvising. Slash and Brian May do that alot.

This is what I do
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
For me, what works best, is using Tux Guitar or Guitar Pro to slow down the track to like a third of its normal speed and then just work my way up. Frankly, using that will let you learn some songs way past your skill level.

There's the link to tuxguitar, its a free program that will let you open guitar pro files.

http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
in addition to just getting good at learning tricky licks, yeah just try to listen to the song so you know the timing and such. and i generally break it into peices to make it easier to memorize and put them together. maybe also start more broad and the add the details and tricky notes in when i start getting more comforatable. im trying to learn SRV pride and joy solo now.