Out of sheer curiosity, how long would it take for me to get really good at poker? I mean, good enough to win the World Series of Poker. I assume it'd be a lot like playing the blues: easy to learn but difficult to master.

I currently have no idea what the rules are. I also have no plans whatsoever to actually start playing poker. At all. (I'm actually more interested in getting really good at Chess.) I'm simply curious.

So?
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
/thread
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
Quote by xblack_sabbathx
/thread

Thank you for contributing.
Banging on a trash can
its a dumb question. There's no such thing as a person who is good at poker. It's a game of chance. You're either lucky or you're not.

The people who are "good" at poker are just really f*cking lucky.
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
Youll be the best if you can survive till 2013.

Edit: But just like anything, the current best would get better so you cant be the best
Maybe 5-6 years to win most neighbourhood games though.

/someonewhodoesntplaypoker
Last edited by luv090909 at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by flea's trumpet
its a dumb question. There's no such thing as a person who is good at poker. It's a game of chance. You're either lucky or you're not.

Allow me to call attention to the portion of my post where I said I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE RULES ARE.

But thank you for answering.
Banging on a trash can
Quote by flea's trumpet

I disagree. I just started playing poker and I've already seen a lot of different strategies. Those strategies are necessary to win a game of poker. You can't just rely on good cards. And even if you have good or bad cards, the player needs to be able to use them. Poker isn't a game of "oh, I have good cards, give me your money".
You're welcome.
I think its time to pack your things lets go,
To a place where we both know,
And dont worry, I'll drive real slow,
Spend some time before we go..
Quote by flea's trumpet

you obviously dont know squat then. poker is a game of skill and chance. if you dont beleive me, how come the same few are most ALWAYS in the running at the end of the tourneys. because there is skill, along with luck involved.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by flea's trumpet

This guy knows what's what.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Poker =/= Luck or Chance.

The learning curve comes in waves. You'll start with basic rules, move on to basic strategy and then branch out into more in-depth strategies. If you've got a good mind for maths (probability) or a good ability to read people it will definitely be a little easier.

In all honesty you may never be the best or close to it. As with every skill some people can not do it as well as others no matter how much they practice. Though putting in the time you could definitely become very good at the game. The best way to get better is to play with people who are good, ask them for advice, then apply it to your own game.

Since I started around a year ago I've moved up from a poker noob to winning a few local tournaments and had money finishes in a couple of bigger tournaments (albeit nothing anywhere near the WSOP but I just do it as a hobby).
It just depends how much you want to put into it. Ive been playing for about 8 years, and been playing online for about 18months, for an average of about an hour per day. In the last 18months ive made $1000, which is a LOT less than if id spent the time working a normal job for minimum wage.
As for winning the WSOP, although poker is, in the long run, a game of skill ie. if you are a better than average player, you will definately make a profit (that is if you are better than average + the rake), however, in the short run it is a game of luck. This means if a person who had never played poker before, but knew the rules, played someone like doyle Brunson or Jonny chan, they may well get lucky and beat them, but if they played 100 games against them, the weaker player would get destroyed. Therefore, you can be a close to psycic poker player, but still not ever win the WSOP due to the amount of short term luck needed to win.
If you want proof just look at previous WSOP winner Jamie Gold, he was ridiculously lucky, and ended up winning, despite the fact that nearly everyone else at the final table were miles more skilled than he was.
If I was you I would stick to chess as skill is directly realated to short term consequence, ie. if you are the better player you will win 99% of the time.
Hpoe I helped!

EDIT: In my opinion it would take a lot less effort to become a winning poker player than it would to become a winning chess player. Although there is alot of literature about poker strategy and game theory, which is important to know, there is a lot more game theory and strategies for chess, which again are important to know and master to become a good player. There are whole books written on one type of strategy in chess ffs.
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
Last edited by Malakian=God at Dec 28, 2009,
A week, according to that Derren Brown show.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
to be good at poker, all you really have to do is be a good liar, and be able to back up your lies through body language and facial expression.

its called pokerface.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

wikipedia the rules

now you're at no more of an advantage than anyone else who plays

/thread
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
Quote by flea's trumpet

Gah! Poker isn't just about getting a good hand.
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Quote by Callum89

this.

you can win with the shittest hand imaginable, if you silently convince the other players that you've got 4 aces.

eventhough inreality you've got a pair of 2's.

like i said before, its called pokerface.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Callum89

but if i made a deal with the devil for good hands i'd be at an advantage yeah?

(cookies for reference)
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
"How fast" depends a lot on you. Not only do you I have to memorize probability, but then you also have to learn how to calculate probability in terms of how much you have invested in the pot or the pot size overall. You also have to be good at psychology -- yes, there is some "reading" of people's posture or expressions, but you also have to figure out their betting behavior, both in terms of what they have and how you can most effectively suck the most money from them when you have "the nuts" (the best possible hand given your cards).

As far as chess, that's a game with absolutely no luck component, so good luck. If you know absolutely nothing about it, try a program like Chessmaster. It has a rather user-friendly tutorial and teaches things like basic tactical themes.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by flea's trumpet

Quote by Dream Floyd
This guy knows what's what.

Actually, no, you both fail. Poker is a game in which luck determines the short-term outcome, but skill determines the long-term outcome. Suppose you'd play heads up against Phil Ivey. If you play 5 hands, you're just as likely to win as he is. But if you play 10.000 hands, you're going to get your ass kicked.

@TS: You can get relatively good in a relatively short time. There are aggressive players who have reached the highest stakes in online poker in just a year or 2. They play for hundreds of thousands of dollars daily. Other, more conservative players grind their way up and take years and years to reach the top. It depends on the player's approach, their playing style.

To win the World Series, though, you need quite a bit of luck. Like I said, luck is a more important factor on a short-term basis, and a single tournament is relatively short-term of course. The best players in the world can lose before reaching the final table 10 years in a row, while some lucky amateur suckers (*coughJamieGoldcough*) grab the first prize. It's just how it works.

Just remember that skill is always going to get the upperhand in the long run. Don't listen to people claiming that poker is all about luck. They either have no idea what they're talking about, or they suck so badly at poker that they get frustrated and try to make themselves believe there's no skill involved.
As long as it takes to get a degree in psychology.

As soon as you can read people/hide your own tells you are pretty much invincable.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
Or, team up with an actual professional player. Learn to survive to the final three with the professional player. Keep on winking at the third guy so both of you get disqualified. Split the pot with the professional player.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Dammit, I swore the thread title said: "Question for Pokémon Players" when I first looked at it!
Quote by flea's trumpet

lol, what a dumbass

takes a long time to get good op, i can lead to to the right places if you are serious about it however.
I believe I am sinking down

^^^me, ^^^her

does this mean i win?

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Quote by Siempie666
I disagree. I just started playing poker and I've already seen a lot of different strategies. Those strategies are necessary to win a game of poker. You can't just rely on good cards. And even if you have good or bad cards, the player needs to be able to use them. Poker isn't a game of "oh, I have good cards, give me your money".

I think you misunderstand my point.

I'm trying to say that no one can be the best. TS is asking what he needs to do in order to win a WSOP. I'm telling him that there's nothing he can do. Even the "best" players in the world run out of luck sooner or later. How many times do you hear of players like Phil Ivey and Daniel Negraneu being beaten by random no-name guys? It happens ALL the time. The pro's really aren't that much different from the joe's. So who's a better pokerplayer? The pro who won the World Series last year, or the random guy who knocked him out of the tournament this year? Niether.

You can use strategy to win at one table, but to consistently keep winning and gaining entry into sattelite tournaments and winning them, and gaining entry into main events and then winning them. It's close to impossible. If you keep putting all of your chips in with the best hand [pre-flop/on the flop] you're not guaranteed to win. Sure there are ways in which you can improve your game, but poker is a game of chance, and that element of chance can't be removed. I'm not talking about just waiting for good cards either, i'm talking about surviving a tournament the size of WSOP and WPT.

tl;dr No one can be the best at poker.
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.