Can anyone give me some advice on picking a guitar to mod. Ive never done much to any guitars but figure a project will help me learn. I would like to end up with a guitar thats good for heavy stuff. Been thinking of squire strats or ibanez rg170. I dont want to spend more than $500AUS (give or take) on the guitar. A good neck and body is my main concern as i want to learn the set up and electronic bits. All advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
mexican fender strat. They come in cool colours ans its actually a quality guitar to begin with. Itll probs be routed for HSS too
Epiphone G-400.
Decent body/neck,shit hardware (except for the tuners).You could find one for under $500 easy
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Most people on these forums agree Squier affinity is a great guitar to mod.

HELLO!

Is the best way to pick a good guitar to mod is by playing it "unplugged"?
Quote by seanchief2112
mexican fender strat. They come in cool colours ans its actually a quality guitar to begin with. Itll probs be routed for HSS too

I agree The MIM is great foundation..............AS for the EPI G400 The Neckdive suck's on those guitars.
any begginer guitar should work. Worry about the wood and neck (unless ur planning on getting a custom neck). Or u can buy wood parts and do the rest urself. Example : Warmoth. It might go a bit out of ur budget but check it out.
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
A used Squier Std (can be found for $100 used US) is probably the best starting platform (over an MIM) because of the 2 point trem and 22 fret neck. The bodies are full Strat thickness (1.75") unlike the Affinity's and below. Wilkinson, Graph-tech nut, locking tuners, and new electronics and you've got one hell of a Strat.
Just find a cheap guitar on craig's list. I used a $45 epiphone strat copy for my first full scale PUP/Pot/Switch surgery.
Quote by seanchief2112

The mexican ones aren't bad at all. I tried one and it had a lot of noise, so I went up slightly on a model and it sounded so much better. Still personally wasn't the sound I was looking for, but a good guitar for the cost.
well yeah atleast pick something with decent quality in the first place. that you cannot upgrade, so make sure its there.

however, ask yourself money for guitar plus the mods. could you just buy a guitar that meets your specs from teh factory? i mean 500 plus mods can equal a lot of money, and a lot of guitars have aftermarket or nice pickups and hardware stock etc.

plus, you can mod good wood finishes etc (well not easily). unless you really just want to mod it personally i would look at buying one straight up too.

not squier. mexican strats wil run you arounf 350-300 and they are way better. epiphone sgs or les pauls? i dunno what style of guitar do you like?
What other people are saying. I get the idea that you don't want to get really serious about it like I am about modding (As in, Practicing refretting) So get something that is decent to start with. And choose one that resonates well - When browsing, Don't even take the guitar off the rack. Just play the B string and feel if the guitar body is vibrating a lot by the volume controls. The more vibration, the better. Especially if you can really feel it.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Truthfully look for a beat up used guitar, one that is considered decent but you can score cheap then have a ball modding it. Even look for a stripped guitar, a guitar with no pups, electronics or hardware. I got a great Jay Turser LP copy for $20.00 stripped and used parts from my parts box to build a nice LP that plays and sounds great.

John
Quote by johnro6659
Truthfully look for a beat up used guitar, one that is considered decent but you can score cheap then have a ball modding it. Even look for a stripped guitar, a guitar with no pups, electronics or hardware. I got a great Jay Turser LP copy for $20.00 stripped and used parts from my parts box to build a nice LP that plays and sounds great.

John

Just make sure it is of a high enough quality... You can get a good player out of a yard sale special but watch out for ones that aren't bolt ons because the neck wood quality could be bad. I bought a Global Les Paul copy and the neck is weak. However, It's a bolt on so I'm OK with it. I'll replace it some time.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Dec 28, 2009,
I got a bottom-feeder ESP/LTD EC-50 for almost nothing.

It has a great neck, and the fit and finish are excellent.

But the metal tone wasn't appropriate for the gigs I play.

So I:
  • I replaced the over-wound humbuckers with GFS Mean 90s
  • Re-wired it for 1 vol 1 tone (it had 2 vol knobs)
  • Installed a Big D Varitone
  • Put bigger fret markers on the neck using reflective tape (on dark stages or those with floods it was hard to see the tiny dots while I was singing and had my face on the microphone)
  • Put markers on the knobs with a thin strip of the reflecting tape
  • Put my band's logo on it (The Sophisticats )

Now I leave the Gibson and Epiphone at home and take the cheap LTD to the gig.

With the GFS pickups it has great tone. With the Varitone I can get different sounds out of it, I like the one volume knob near my pinky finger, it's lightweight, it's well balanced, and if I have an accident on stage, I'm not out much money.

It was my very first attempt at modding a guitar, so I chose the cheapest guitar I could find. I turned the lump of coal into a gem. I ended up selling the humbuckers to another guitarist, so all totaled this cost me about $100.00

Insights and incites by Notes
Just get a cheap Ibanez RG321 or if you're inclined to build a Ibanez guitar from parts off ebay. I'm currently doing 2 builds; 1 hard tail and 1 floyd rose build. The hard tail build is pretty cheap to do if you know for the right places to look cough*ebay*cough
An SX. I am getting a SX SST57 in powder blue to mod. Getting a new neck, nut, tuners, pups, trem, probably pots.
How much work is involved (and expense) in changing a neck. Is it doable by a novice? I have a mate with an old ibanez rg 170 HSH with a broken neck but with a floyd rose that i can get for cheap. I own a Formentin Signature Strat HSS with a Floyd and I cant stand it( the bridge), the guitar is good but i hate the floyd bridge. Is it posible to fit a fit a fixed bridge to a guitar routed for a floyd?
Changing the neck is something that is not easy as it sounds. The fact the new neck has to fit the guitar very tight! Swapping a neck just is not removing the 4 screws and popping the old neck in and the new one on unless it's the exact same one made for the guitar. Different guitars have different neck pocket sizes and different neck angles. When you swap necks you need to find one that's going to work with you guitar. A neck should fit in the neck pocket tight enough it won't pop out when it's not screwed in. If a neck is loose in the pocket it will not transfer sound and you'll loose sustain and tone it's also possible it will move around in the pocket egging out the mounting holes.

As far as expense some necks can be pricey. I like Ibanez necks and have purchased several used off Ebay cheap $20 to $25 ea. I like Ibanez necks because they are thin and rarely twist or warp. Also it's very easy to remove the screened logo with some rubbing compound. Necks can cost $200.00 or more if you buy new from some of these parts sources. Warmoth is one of the biggest sources for necks and bodies but I am not a fan of their products. I have been given Warmoth bodies and necks and asked "build me a custom guitar" from several of my customers. I wasn't impressed with the parts I was given to say the least but some people like them.

John